Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro Login logs off immediatly

• Please log in to reply

Duane1958

Duane1958

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Found a repair procedure that did not work here http://www.geekstogo...ut-immediately/ Then found that when rebooting I could login to profile once but no icons and no start menu. From there I am unable to do anything but reboot again which redelivers the original scenario.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
When you reboot and get to the empty Desktop, Press Ctrl_Alt+Del to being up the Task Manager.
Click on File then New task (Run).
Enter explorer and press Enter.

That should bring up your normal Desktop. If it does, reboot and see if it remains.

If not, it's quite likely the entry in the registry that connects your user account to it's normal location on the hard drive has been messed up.

Before doing any of the following, make a backup of your registry. I suggest you install ERUNT to do this.

Your files are still there. Sounds like your user profile has lost it's connection with where it's data is stored.
If you are comfortable with using regedit, try this by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator, no password.

The key is a registry entry that redirects Windows back to the ProfileImagePath of the original profile.

Click on Start then Run, type regedit[/b] and press Enter. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once there, you will see the SID's listed for all of the profiles on the machine. Something like this:

S-1-5-18
S-1-5-19
S-1-5-20
S-1-5-21-1343024091-1409082233-839522115-1003

Within the Key for each SID there is an entry called ProfileImagePath that will look like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\UserName...

Scroll through the SID's until you find the one with the screwy name, like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\youruserid.2

This is just an example, could be someithing else weird.

Just edit the Key to remove the ".2", and it will point the user back to their old profile...

Got this from: http://techrepublic....ssageID=1914470

Also some excellent information here: http://www.lockergno...p-user-profile/

See here for Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Duane1958

Duane1958

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll investigate further but I did fail to include other details like this issue happens on ANY profile, not just one. This is also a multi boot machine (Win 2000 is fine) because of the devices I work on require different operating systems and the main reason why I want to try to fix. Maybe Pirillo has an answer over at the link you provided. I'll check there first and THANKS!

Edited by Duane1958, 12 February 2012 - 08:04 PM.

Duane1958

Duane1958

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No luck at finding an answer yet if anyone happens to read the post. Most of what I've seen elsewhere has a link to ONE user profile but not to all which I am attempting to correct.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you check the registry as I suggested. Who knows, maybe all profiles got whacked.

Otherwise, do you have a XP install CD? If so do a Repair Install, see if that corrects the problem.