Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Connecting to Certain Websites

• Please log in to reply

yorozuya

yorozuya

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm experiencing a problem where certain websites I visit won't load. I don't believe it to be browser related as it affects both Internet Explorer and Firefox. I also don't think it's malware related as I have done a malware scan with both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. One example is that I can get on Facebook with Internet Explorer but not Firefox, but even with Internet Explorer pictures won't load and buttons won't work. Similarly I can get on geekstogo, but when I tried posting this message it lead me to an error message, so I'm posting this with a different computer.

I might note that ieframe.dll has appeared in the address bar of Internet Explorer before and may have something to do with it but why it would affect Firefox as well is beyond me.

Edited by yorozuya, 12 February 2012 - 07:28 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are the sites your having trouble with...
copy and paste a couple of them in your reply...

yorozuya

yorozuya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The sites that I have trouble with seem to be random. I might visit a site that works initially but then suddenly stops working. One that I consistently have trouble with is Facebook as today even the homepage wouldn't even load, it simply took me to an error screen. I'll also remind you that while I can get on geekstogo with that computer it won't let me leave a reply.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can't /won't give me what I ask for then someone else will have to help you

yorozuya

yorozuya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
msn.com and facebook.com were the ones that were giving me trouble. I remember visiting cnet.com to download a malware scanner however the download wouldn't work. The message I get when a page won't load is "internet explorer cannot display the webpage".

yorozuya

yorozuya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
answers.microsoft.com and hotmail.com are also ones that I've discovered don't work. I don't have an extensive list of websites that don't work as I've haven't been using it as much since these problems have occurred.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are malware tools...what anti virus do you have and have you updated it and run it...
when done
create a new user account...make it a administrator account...reboot and log into the new account and try going to the sites that were giving you trouble before,,,

yorozuya

yorozuya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. I ran it and it didn't find anything. Funny thing though, when I tried updating I got an error "80072ee2". It's the same error that I got when I tried to perform a Windows Update. Could this be related to my problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is going to take forever if you do do as I ask and tell what, if anything happened...
againg...

create a new user account...make it a administrator account...reboot and log into the new account and try going to the sites that were giving you trouble before

yorozuya

yorozuya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sorry for taking so long to respond. But I've done what you asked and it didn't work. What would you suggest now?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry but I am having a problem with my eye...start a new topic and if anyone mentions double posting tell them I told you to...