Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why am I asked what system I want on boot?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
About 20% of the time when I turn the computer on it asks me which system I want. It only offers one choice, since that is all I have, and it continues on when I click on it. I think it takes longer to boot than usual when it asks, but I haven't timed it so I am not sure.
This started a few weeks ago when I moved everything from the harddrive that came with the computer to a SSD. The old harddrive is disconnected.

Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it?

I would think it would act the same every time, but 80% of the time it doesn't ask, but just boots.

Edited by Tollerowner, 12 February 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you go to Start and enter msconfig in search box and press enter, then click on the Boot tab, how many entries are listed? If more than one, what are they?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have a floppy or cd in the drive when you boot...how about a external usb drive...

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
No cd or floppy. I have an external drive connected by a USB cable, but that is always there. It does not have an operating system on it.

msconfig says my boot is "windows 7 (c:\windows) current os; default os