Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Up issue+

• Please log in to reply

anon1431

anon1431

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey (i think this is where im suppose to post)im having an issue with my computer at the moment it was fine til afew days ago when it BSOD on me. I have gotten BSOD before but very rarely. I was watching some videos from my internal HDD (E:drive) when i got a BSOD during. After i restarted my computer my internal HDD (E:) wasnt showing on my computer. (ive got 2x 500gig installed, computer is about 2years old.) I figured the HDD must have died.. so i restarted my computer to check if it might fix, only this time the computer didnt get pass the first loading screen. It wasnt responding to the options (express recovery, bios, boot menu etc). So i started mashing keys and ctrl+alt+delete seemed to work and it re-booted again still stuck on load screen but i could enter bios and boot menu now. So i entered boot menu and chose to load from my C:drive and it started working and i could use my computer normally, i did get 1 more BSOD after i unplugged and external hdd, computer seems to lag when i plug and remove my usb. I have tryed restarts afew times and doing the ctrl+alt+delete is the only way i can load my computer. Anyone know whats wrong with it? or has both my internal hdd been fried? i thought i would check here before i spend money on it. i will give some general details on my computer: Windows XP professional+service pack3, Intel Core 2 duo CPU e4600 @2.4GHz, 3.5GB Ram, it was custom built, about 2years old. I am no tech wiz so if i missed any other info you need please ask. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeesktoGo

, i did get 1 more BSOD after i unplugged and external hdd,

Do you mean after I unplugged an external drive.
If so did you use SAFELY remove hardware.

Disconnecting an external hard drive, without using safely remove hardware is DANGEROUS to the health of the drive. It is very similar to forcing a shutdown on the computer, so that the drive is still spinning when you disconnect the power.

So i entered boot menu and chose to load from my C:drive

So which drive is YOUR boot drive. - is it NOT usually C drive and if it is surely it was already commissioned for C drive as boot device, albeit not necessarily the first boot device, but presumably the first HDD boot.

3. Download this please. - WHO CRASHED
Run the program, click the analyse tab and COPY and paste the results please as a copy and paste not as a file which I have to open.
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

4. Is the drive E now showing in My Computer.
Go My Computer please, hold your mouse on the drive, or right click and click properties
Please tell me the capapcity and free space of ALL hard drives, including the external.

anon1431

anon1431

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the super fast response xD
1. no i just pulled out the usb cord as i normally do. But lol i did not know that, i thought it was fine to do it >.<
2. yeah C: is my boot drive E: is my extra internal drive which is the one not showing up. But C: doesnt boot my comp automatically unless i did the alt+ctrl+delete thing as i mentioned.
3.On Mon 13/02/2012 8:33:14 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021312-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x8A550)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD09C550, 0xFFFFFFFFB2A77BB8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 285.58
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 285.58
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 285.58 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 12/02/2012 7:09:26 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021312-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xDFF0)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1902FE, 0xFFFFFFFFB8507948, 0xFFFFFFFFB8507644, 0xFFFFFFFFB7C2AAE8)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
4. Nope E: is not showing. C: is 388gb/465gb -103gb free. My external is usb plugin 1.45TB/1.81TB -365GB free.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.It is NOT. It is dangerous to your external drive and unhealthy for the state of your computer in general.
Look bottom right of taskbar with a usb device plugged in. Do you see an incon - small green in colour - hold the mouse on it, it will say - safely remove hardware.
If you plug a flash pen drive in, and it as an activity led on it, you will see the led go out when you follow the procedure described - or using you hard drive, but not when you have the drive open, click on that icon - find the device and then stop it.
It will then say, you may now safely rermove.

2. You will have seen from the Who Crashed that you need to update the Graphics driver.
If it is a branded computer what is the make and full model details please.

Go to the manufacturers site and find your computer on the support link and then see if there is another driver for the graphics.

If it is NOT branded and you know the model of the card to the card manufacturers site and update it.

If you are in any doubt post back for further advice.
If the graphics are connected on the I/O plate at the rear of the computer near to the mouse keyboard and LAN and USB, you need to go to the motherboard site or the computer site

If the graphics care connected further down the case, then it is a separate card and you should go here
http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk

Option 2 - automatically find drivers click on graphics and go from there.

3. Re the external drive not recognised.
Power down.
Disconnect the drive.
Reboot.
Connect the drive with the computer on.
Watch the taskbar - any message re found device.
If so WAIT
watch the message.
If not seen in my Computer
Go start
right click My Computer
Click properties
click hardware
click device manager
click disk drives
Is it there.
If not is there an unknown device in device manager.
ALSO whilst there are there any entries with warnings - yellow or red.
If so open the entry.
Note the details

Post the full details I have asked for please in the whole of my post.

anon1431

anon1431

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
1. yep i got it.. i just didnt do it because i thought it was fine to just pull out the usb now i know.
2. the graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX ,Current Installed Driver: 285.58, Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time. is what it said.
3. so i have to open up my pc tower and unplug the HDD? i opened it up before and saw the 2 but i dont know which is the C: and which is the E:.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

so i have to open up my pc tower and unplug the HDD? i opened it up before and saw the 2 but i dont know which is the C: and which is the E:.

NO. I was referring to

Re the external drive not recognised.
Power down.
Disconnect the drive.
Reboot.
Connect the drive with the computer on.
Watch the taskbar - any message re found device.
If so WAIT

my mistake I was thinking it was the external drive that was not recognised.

Re the internal drive E that is not showing in My Computer. Have a look in Device Manager as described is it showing there.
The go Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management -is it showing there

anon1431

anon1431

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Re the internal drive E that is not showing in My Computer. Have a look in Device Manager as described is it showing there.
The go Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management -is it showing there

hey again, i tryed both those things and the E:drive still isnt displayed also still having the same startup issue.

Edited by anon1431, 14 February 2012 - 07:41 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Is it showing in device manager - is there any unknown device listed
Is it showing in Disk Management

2. Re startup enter setup , not boot menu.
The boot menu is a one boot only configuration.

In the BIOS setup find the tab boot priority and set the C drive - it will not be listed there as C, but as its identifier ie WD etc if it was Western Digitial and the reference
-As second boot device if the DVD is the first one.

If both hard drives are shown, set the C drive above the E drive - ie the C drive as second boot device.
then normally the F10 key is save and exit.

Whilst in setup see if your E drive is shown in the BIOS.

3. Also do this please
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed. DO NOT ATTEMPT any please

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

anon1431

anon1431

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
1. there was no unknown devices listed, i looked under the disk drives tab.
2. edit: i just tryed this out and there was 1.bootable add-in card 2.numbers and few letters which looks like my C:drive. I just switched priority of 1 and 2, so far so good as it booted up without any issues. Isit likely my E:drive just died?
3. http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24794997

Edited by anon1431, 14 February 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
unknown devices are not listed under the disk drives entry
They are listed further down, please have another look in device manager

C drive is this one
http://www.google.co...IpptuIXIbEVHY9w
A Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb

You say they are both 500gb do you know if the missing E Drive is also a Seagate

anon1431

anon1431

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeh sorry i meant there was no unknown devices anywhere else and i found the C: under disk drives entry.
and yeah pretty sure that E: is the same model.
And [bleep] after turning my PC on again it was stuck on 1st screen again i had to press alt+ctrl+delete and THEN it would load up normally.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to setup and see if E, it will not be lettered E is shown as a drive.
in the SATA devices.

It will show SATAand then it will list the drives.

Example and your setup screen may well not be the same.

[attachment=56144:bios.jpg]

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
anon1431

It is now some 7 days since you last replied.
Please update the topic, when you get chance.
Thank you