Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TFC (Oldtimer) removed local settings/temp folder. Is this ok?

• Please log in to reply

compudummie

compudummie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After MS update began to have "serious error" msgs. Reconciled some by driver rollbacks, but continued having errors with both these lines included:
C:\docume~1\user\locals~1\temp\WERa137.dir00\mini121911-01.dmp
C:\ " " " " " \sysdata.xml

The digits following 'WER' and 'mini' are always different, but everything else is same. I downloaded and ran TFC hoping to clear any misinfo in 'temp' file causing the problem. To my suprise, it removed the entire localsettings folder. Of course 'temp' went with it. Is this something I need. I do not remember all that was in localsettings, but I think more than the temp file.

The following morning I ran chkdsk with both options and upon the reboot at finish, got the following "serious error" again:
same path locals~1\temp\WER6565dir\00\mini012712-01.dmp and also:
same path " " \sysdata.xml

The localsettings folder was gone the previous day after TFC and I cannot find one anywhere in any user directory. I know the errors are pointing to a problem and before TFC I tried to open this 'temp' folder and immediately had an autoreboot. I have now cleared the autorecover box.

I had hoped by cleaning this folder, the problem file would be deleted. Can anyone help me fix this or shed some light on what is happening?? Everything was ok before the update. For the last resort I planned to use $uninstallkbxxxx to remove the updates, but now all the uninstall files are removed by TFC. Four updates apparently caused the problem: 3 drivers (two now rolled back) and an AMD processor software update (network software). I do not have a local network and am the only user.

I hope this is not too much explanation, but I read your instructions re posting.
Thanking you for any available help. Michel

PS very basic computer-AMD 3200, 512 ram, XP home SP 3

Edited by compudummie, 14 February 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
:welcome: compudummie

Do you have the Xp installation disk as you may need it.

Go into Add\Remove Programs
Make sure to click the little box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update and remove it.
Now try updating again and see if it corrects the faulty update.

compudummie

compudummie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Philpower

No install CD, this budget machine came with everything already loaded. I may have to uninstall all the updates I did that day as I do not which one is still causing the problem. If I reload them, won't the same problems recur? I think I will unload, test, and then reload one at a time to see what happens.

One I think I should not reload is Radeon Xpress 200 display driver. I think this was a huge mistake as I no longer have the screen that came with this computer. I have a larger Acer flat screen which did its PnP thing out of the box so I never installed the CD software. To avoid this happening in the future, I loaded Acer software yesterday, but the system is still using the 'generic' display. I can find all the Acer files, but don't know how to make it recognize the new screen. How can I make it do the 'Found New Hdwe' routine again? Should I uninstall (or disable) the Radeon driver and the Acer software and then plug it in and use the CD? What is your advice on putting the right software on this old machine? Or should I just leave well enough alone.

I am worried about the missing localsettings folder? Was this an unnecessary folder? Should I put it back? Do I need a folder for temp files?

Thank you for your help. Michel

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

I think I will unload, test, and then reload one at a time to see what happens.

My apologies I should have said to reinstall them one at a time :blush:

One I think I should not reload is Radeon Xpress 200 display driver. I think this was a huge mistake as I no longer have the screen that came with this computer

The display driver is for the graphics device not the screen itself, if you are still using the Radeon Xpress 200 as your video device then you need the correct driver.

To make things easier for both of us can you do the following;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

compudummie

compudummie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I will do as you instruct, but it may take me some time (reading @ Pitstop) as I do not quite understand about posting the results URL. I have never done this, but here I go. Thanks so much, Mm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
No worries reply when you are able to.
Here is an example url http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24786646

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Highlight the address in the upper part of your browser when the results window is showing. Right click on it and then click copy. Then in your next post right click and then click paste. This will paste the url into your next post.

compudummie

compudummie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello Philpow

No luck at all with IE and Pitstop. Did all the ActiveX things, turned off all resident anti-things, disabled firewall, etc. The last time the XP comp spoke to me was when I was making a suggested change to hdwe accelerator to prevent crash during one of the tests. Suggestion was to move accelerator button all the way to the left (from max acceleration to min/or none.) Screen immediately went dark. Never got the scan started.

After a lot of thought, turned screen off/on. Acer logo fades on/off, then 'no signal' did same. Pushing the menu button brings up icons: user, text, graphics, movies. The back/forward buttons will highlight each icon. But the select button has no response. I only get to look at the Icons. When I push the menu button again, to turn it off, 'auto config' fades on/off the screen.

I have not turned the processor off, afraid to. I was pages deep into system files in contr panel before I found hdwe accel. and didn't want to power off at this point. Is this the only option? Is there any chance the Acer CD might load its software at this point? I am on my Win7 laptop in order to reply.

What do we do now, doctor ?? Thanking you for any help. Please throw me a lifeline, Regards, Mm

Edited by compudummie, 16 February 2012 - 01:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

I have not turned the processor off, afraid to.

Do you mean the computer itself (the processor is the CPU as in the brain of the computer).

I was pages deep into system files in contr panel before I found hdwe accel.

Not sure what you were doing here, there is no need to get involved with system files to run PCPitstop.

and didn't want to power off at this point. Is this the only option?

To be honest I am not sure what you have done, what is the state of the system at the moment!

compudummie

compudummie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Phil, to be honest I am not sure either. State of the system: Computer is on. Screen is dark and not responding to computer, only its own settings buttons.

I had problems running the scan, so went to PCPitstop's troubleshooting page. Along with other advice were instructions to avoid crashes during the video tests. Since my problems began with a MS update resulting in error msgs citing the video driver (display adapter?) I was hoping that doing this would ensure a trouble-free scan. Sorry I said 'hdwe' acceleration, they were talking about Graphics.

Here are the instructions I was following at the time:

"If your system crashes during the video test in part 2 (RunTests2.asp), your video driver is at fault. To work around the problem you can turn off acceleration. To do this, click Start | Settings | Control Panel | System | Performance. Click the Graphics button and move the slider for acceleration all the way to the left. You will need to restart your system for the change to take effect."

In addition to all the above open windows (or screens, boxes, menus,) @ Performance I had to select Video, then Advanced, at which time the screen blinked off and came back up with an array of tabs for adjustments. When I moved the slider to the far left the screen went dark as it remains.

I did not think it safe to power off the computer with all these settings menus open.
Sorry to throw you curves with my descriptors, but the memory often gets cranky. Thanks for your patience, Michel

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

I did not think it safe to power off the computer with all these settings menus open.
Sorry to throw you curves with my descriptors, but the memory often gets cranky. Thanks for your patience, Michel

What is the present state of the computer, on or off etc!
No worries Michel - take it easy and reply when you have the time :thumbsup:

compudummie

compudummie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
State of the computer: Computer is on. Screen is dark. I have not done anything since I moved the slider to the left and the screen went dark.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
For what I suggest next you will need an Xp disk, do you have one?

compudummie

compudummie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh my, we are in trouble. This budget computer came with everything already loaded--no disk. What do I need. I may be able to borrow one. Mm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
If you can get into the BIOS try restoring the MBs default setting, not all BIOS settings are the same but try tapping the Del key when you next power up, other keys that are sometimes used are F2 and F8.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Extra Files.
  • Please copy the codebox below into the text area.

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

• The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.