Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTFS need to check consistancy of C: drive

• Please log in to reply

xI CurLs

xI CurLs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
so ive been getting the error message almost everytime i start up my computer of a consistancy check on my C:
i let it check everytime and still the error comes up when i boot. once i get on my computer its really slow and freezes anytime i try to do anything. what can i do ?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi xI CurLs ... :wave: ..:welcome:

first backup all your data...picture music and any documents you need/want

then try running run chkdsk /r
NOTE the single space before the /
click on start...type in...chkdsk /r

if for any reason you can't run chkdsk /r or it wiil not complete you will have to try running manufacture specific testing tools

pick the tool thats made for your particular drive and always use the long tests if offered

for Western Digital drives go here
Use the Find by Model Number on the right side

for Seagate and Maxtor drives ...get seatools here

for Fujitsu drives go here

for Hitachi drives go here

for Samsung drives go here

Toshiba does not provide diagnostic tools for their hard drives...

If the drive passes the hard drive tests... try running chkdsk /r again ...it can fix small problems with system files

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also if it is a Toshiba hard drive, usually you can still run a diagnostic on it using another test. For example the Seagate "Seatools" program will let you run a generic test on the drive. This will still give you an indication of the drive's health.