Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragged Toshiba Laptop, now it won't startup....

• Please log in to reply

TmastaTay

TmastaTay

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem with: TOSHIBA SATELLITE L675

So I was defragging my computer over night and when I woke up for school this morning my computer froze. I had no way to turning it off so I held the power button. When I got home today I turned it on and it said either start windows normally or startup repair. I did the startup repair and I was able to move the mouse, but the mouse was big and the screen is black. It was like that for 20 minutes until I just turned it off by using the power button. I turned it back on and clicked start windows normally, and it showed the windows sign and it said "starting up" and this went on for around 10 minutes before I turned it off.

I tried running in safe mode, and it froze at: \windows\systems32\DRIVERS\AtiPcie.sys and then screen went black about 3 minutes after, and then I was able to move mouse around.

I left and came back and then screen was black. I can't take my laptop into the shop. I have recovery disks (5), a system repair disk (1) and windows repair 64bit (1)

I've tried using those but that doesn't help since I can't get to a login screen.

Please help me.... (btw I'm pretty dumb when it comes to computer, so please try to make it simple or step by step so I understand lol)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What version of Win 7 are you using?

What is a system re[air disc, where did you get it?
What is a windows repair disc, where did you get it?

You need to get to a recovery command prompt and run chkdsk /r, see if that corrects any file system errors. See here: How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows 7

Scroll down to OPTION TWO Using a Windows 7 Installation or System Repair Disc. At step 6 select Command Prompt.

Type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let it complete undisturbed. Can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

TmastaTay

TmastaTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

What version of Win 7 are you using?

What is a system re[air disc, where did you get it?
What is a windows repair disc, where did you get it?

You need to get to a recovery command prompt and run chkdsk /r, see if that corrects any file system errors. See here: How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows 7

Scroll down to OPTION TWO Using a Windows 7 Installation or System Repair Disc. At step 6 select Command Prompt.

Type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let it complete undisturbed. Can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Thanks for replying :) And my friends dad did it right when I got the computer, it's just a disc he burnt all of my settings so if anything happened I could recover, but it's not working. Same with the Windows repair disc.

What will happen after I run that code? (I haven't gotten to the link yet, I'm replying and then going to check out the link you gave me.)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It will check the hard drive for file system errors and correct them if found. This often fixes problems like this. Not always but quite often.

TmastaTay

TmastaTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

It will check the hard drive for file system errors and correct them if found. This often fixes problems like this. Not always but quite often.

I was able to get the Safe Mode with Command Prompt, but nothing appeared. It said "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners, and the some writing at the top, and then I was able to move my mouse, but that's it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The mouse doesn't work with the Command Prompt. Were you able to enter anything from the keyboard?

You need to boot the Windows Repair disc. That means you either have to set the optical (CD/DVD) drive as the first boot device in BIOS setup or if available, press the key that takes you to the Boot options menu where you can chose the optical drive to boot from. See here: Create and use a System Repair Disc

Same is true with the recovery discs, see here: What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

How are you trying to use them?

TmastaTay

TmastaTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I hold I think 0 and when I turn on the computer, or one of the F's button, and then I click boot CD\DVD and then the screen says loading windows files, and then the screen goes black.

I posted a video on Youtube about what keeps happening if I don't press anything and let it run through.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That was impossible to view, you kept moving all over the place so I couldn't see anything. That is trying to use the Recovery partition on the hard drive which seems to have a problem. Use the Recovery discs you created. According to the Users Guide, this is how you do so:

To recover your internal storage drive from recovery DVDs/media:
1 Shut down and turn off your computer.
2 Do one of the following:
❖ If your recovery files are on DVDs, insert the first recovery
DVD into your optical disc drive.
❖ If your recovery files are on a USB flash drive, connect the
USB flash drive to your computer.
3 Turn on your computer. When the initial screen displays, press
F12.
The boot menu displays.
4 Using the arrow keys, select the DVD option or the USB Flash
option, depending on which type of media you are using, and
then press Enter.
5 A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is
executed all data on your internal storage drive will be deleted
and rewritten. Click Ye s to continue.
6 When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens and the Selecting a
Process screen displays, select Recovery of Factory Default
Software and then click Next.
7 Select one of the following options:
❖ Recover to out-of-box state (recommended recovery
method)—If you want to recover the original factory
❖ Recover without changing the hard drive partitions—
If you want to recover the C: partition only, leaving other
partitions you have created intact

❖ Recover to a custom size partition—If you want to
recover the C: drive to its out-of-box state and specify a
custom size for the C: drive. Note: This option deletes all
other partitions from the drive.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery
process.
When the process is complete, a message displays indicating
that the drive has been recovered.
Press any key on the keyboard to restart the computer.