Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Diagnostic help! Hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

markbar

markbar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
To all who know more than I,

About one year ago all of a sudden whilst playing an FPS shooter my computer came down with some kind of a disease in the form of the pc freezing, screen locking up, and sound looping...which requires a full system reboot.

This problem initially happened only occasionally in some fps games, then more and more frequent and eventually got to the stage where this "freeze" would happen only seconds after windows logged in.

I took the pc to the place where I bought it and they ran days of "tests" to find that there was an error with the RAM. New ram was put in under warranty and the problem seemed fixed. A few months later roughly half a year ago, the problem happened again. Once more it began as an occasional thing which progressed into a frequent happening. I took it back to the same place and they ran more "tests" for 3-4 days and came up with "no errors or problems". When I got it home I re-installed windows 7.

Since that re-install it was all good...until now (February)...it's started happening again. I have suspicions its something to do with the graphics card but I'm not sure why nothing was picked up in the tests the computer guys ran on it (they ran tests on ram and graphics card so far as I know).

I figured the people of this community would know perhaps a little more into what the cause of this might be, which could end up saving me almost $1000 in new parts (as I don't know WHICH component is the weak link, I may have to replace it all!???)

Mobo ex58 i7
CPU i7 920
GFX geforce 280GTX

I have uploaded this freeze to youtube and it can be seen in the following link:

(note: for the purposes of this video I got my bro to play css to trigger the freeze whilst I filmed it on my iPhone)

(also of note..this freeze has occurred most commonly in one particular part of one particular map in counter-strike source..but I have NO idea how those circumstances would trigger the freeze more than any other game or program)

EDIT: The last two times this saga has happened (its happened 3 times in total: year ago, half a year ago, and now) was after installing large windows updates.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
:welcome: markbar
What is the brand and output of your PSU (power supply unit).

Couple of tests for you to run and screenshots to provide for us so we can check the temps and voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Do the same with HWMonitor please http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
phillpower2 - thanks for the reply I really appreciate the help!

Power supply is 'Seasonic M12 600W ATx12V' (I have the box if further pics are required)

Also of note: this morning the freezing happened immediately upon windows logging in (just as the desktop appeared) and I rebooted twice with the same effect. I changed power board from a surge protector board I was previously using to a crappy old normal power board and it has so far not frozen. I am not sure if that may effect this issue but if need be I shall launch a game and see if the freeze reoccurs on this power board (to exclude it in process of elimination..which is really my problem here!!)

EDIT: These screenshots were taken this morning while the computer was idiling on desktop, but I was not sure if you wanted me to try and take some readings with a game running in the background?

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID HWM test.JPG
  • speedfantest.JPG

Edited by markbar, 14 February 2012 - 05:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Thanks for the screenshots.
Both programs report a serious problem with your +12V rail and high temps, I strongly suggest that you do not use the computer for the moment to prevent serious damage.

I changed power board from a surge protector board I was previously using to a crappy old normal power board

Do you mean an extension lead that has multiple sockets on the end?

If you can, borrow a known good PSU for testing purposes, Seasonic are one of the best PSU brands available but they are not infallible.
If you cannot borrow a PSU then you could have the present Seasonic tested by a tech who has the appropriate equipment and knowledge.
Can I ask how many cooling fans that you have and have you checked if they are working correctly and how clean they are.

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Both programs report a serious problem with your +12V rail and high temps

I'm guessing the +12V should be higher and the temperatures should be lower? What are normal figures for these? Sounds like a dodgy PSU :/

And yeah by power board I mean extension with 4 sockets (I thought that's what they were called) but whatever they are called thats what I mean.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

I'm guessing the +12V should be higher and the temperatures should be lower? What are normal figures for these? Sounds like a dodgy PSU :/

See table below;

And yeah by power board I mean extension with 4 sockets (I thought that's what they were called) but whatever they are called thats what I mean.

Thanks for clearing that up, it was as I thought but had to be sure.

If the PSU is bad it could be putting out high voltages as well as lower voltages, both could also affect your temps.

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the continuous help! After looking at your screenshot it seems the names of these things are fairly self-explanatory..the 12V should be around 12 volts. Mine seem to be about 1/10th of that :/ Do you think this is a problem with the entire PSU or is it possible this type of thing could have happened by say..a loose chord plugged into the PSU?

Also, is it normal to hear a slight buzzing noise coming from the PSU during normal operation at various times? For example sometimes on the desktop there will be a slight buzzing sound when I move the mouse around. Also in some games (but not others for some strange reason) it makes a much louder buzzing which changes in pitch due to the graphical demands of the game.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

is it possible this type of thing could have happened by say..a loose chord plugged into the PSU?

Possible yes but likely no.

Also, is it normal to hear a slight buzzing noise coming from the PSU during normal operation at various times?
it makes a much louder buzzing which changes in pitch due to the graphical demands of the game.

Any buzzing is a bad sign but increased buzzing when under load is a definite warning sign.

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmm I might look into getting a more powerful and new PSU at next opportunity. And I forgot to mention before I have two fans on the back of the computer case and both are relatively dust free.

Would you agree the PSU sounds like the catalyst here?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Would you agree the PSU sounds like the catalyst here?

Yes but remember where PSU problems are concerned the advice is always the same, borrow a known good one with a suitable output if you can or have the present one tested by a tech who has the appropriate equipment and knowledge.

Advertisements

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been getting smashed at work.

Bought myself a new PSU today, 850W Corsair one and managed to trade in my old one for $50 worth which was a plus...however it looks like not much has changed in terms of what those programs read.

I've taken a new screenshot (note: this was taken just after quitting Battlefield 3 so hence the hot temperatures).

Could this be a mobo thing? Or is the +12V meant to be reading around 12 volts?

Thanks!

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
helps to attach it hey

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
.image

Attached Thumbnails

• newpsu.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

.image

These readings are with the new PSU fitted, is that correct?

Lets see what Everest reports;

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

markbar

markbar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes this is with the new PSU installed (installed by the guy in the shop).

I was having trouble getting information with everest free so I installed the ultimate edition I had lying around.

--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v5.30.1900
Benchmark Module 2.4.273.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer MARK-PHATRIG
Generator Mark
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601
Date 2012-02-29
Time 11:22

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Computer Name MARK-PHATRIG
User Name Mark
Logon Domain Mark-Phatrig
Date / Time 2012-02-29 / 11:22

Motherboard:
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core i7 920, 2833 MHz (21 x 135)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 3 PCI-E x16, 6 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Tylersburg X58, Intel Nehalem
System Memory 6144 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM1: GeIL CL9-9-9 DDR3-1333 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)
DIMM3: GeIL CL9-9-9 DDR3-1333 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)
DIMM5: GeIL CL9-9-9 DDR3-1333 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)
BIOS Type Award Modular (03/11/10)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (1024 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (1024 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Monitor Asus VW246 [24" LCD] (97LMQS021247)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel 82801JB ICH10 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ATA Device (DVD+R9:16x, DVD-R9:12x, DVD+RW:22x/8x, DVD-RW:22x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 931.4 GB (345.5 GB free)
E: (NTFS) 931.5 GB (246.3 GB free)
Total Size 1862.9 GB (591.8 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Primary IP Address 192.168.0.4
Primary MAC Address 00-1F-D0-AE-F2-7D
Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) (192.168.0.4)

Peripherals:
FireWire Controller Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 1394A-2000 OHCI PHY/Link-Layer Controller (PHY: TI TSB43AB23)
USB1 Controller Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB Universal Host Controller
USB2 Controller Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB2 Controller Intel 82801JB ICH10 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Generic Bluetooth Radio
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Input Device

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
DMI BIOS Version F11
DMI System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI System Product EX58-DS4
DMI System Version
DMI System Serial Number
DMI System UUID 00000000-00000000-0000001F-D0AEF27D
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI Motherboard Product EX58-DS4
DMI Motherboard Version x.x
DMI Motherboard Serial Number
DMI Chassis Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI Chassis Version
DMI Chassis Serial Number
DMI Chassis Asset Tag
DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 6 / 3

Attached Thumbnails

• everest.JPG