Very well done!!
This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware
- Please let me know if you are
still having problems with your computer and what these problems are.
The following procedure will implement some cleanup and update procedures. It will also reset your System Restore
by flushing out previous restore points and create a new restore point. It will also remove all the backups our tools may have made. Finally, I have several recommendations to keep your computer safe and secure.Uninstall ComboFix:
- turn off all active protection software
- push the "windows key" + "R" (between the "Ctrl" button and "Alt" Button)
- please copy and past the following into the box ComboFix /Uninstall and click OK.
- Note the space between the X and the /Uninstall, it needs to be there.
Please open OTL
Click on the Cleanup
button. This will remove most of the tools left on your desktop.
You will be prompted to reboot. Please reboot.Antivirus Software: Antvirus software is a necessity.
This is your primary line of defense
against the type of malware that has infected your computer. Each of the following products have real-time protection and scheduled scans. Please choose one, install it, update the antivirus database/definitions, and run a complete scan.
These are among the best free antivirus/antispyware products.
* You should never install more than one anti-virus program on a PC
because it will cause conflicts.Firewall:
Without a firewall your computer is succeptible
to being hacked and taken over. Using a firewall will allow you to allow/deny access for applications
that want to go online. Here is some information on the recommended Windows Firewall:
For the Windows Firewall, just enable by following the directions in the link and make sure you are connected to the internet through a router.Make your Internet Explorer more secure:
Make Firefox more secure:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
Please visit this page to explain how to make Firefox more secure - How to Secure FirefoxMake Sure Your Applications Have All of Their Updates:
It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector Turn On Automatic Updates:
To turn on Automatic Updates:
- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
- Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them
If you click this setting, click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to occur. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. Remember, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. After you set this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site specific to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. To pause or to resume the download, right-click the icon, and then click Pause or Resume. When the download is completed, another message appears in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation. If you choose not to install at that time, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.
You can also visit http://www.windowsupdate.com
regularly. This will ensure your computer always has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.TFC
is a free temp file cleaner that is very easy to use, you can use it before you do any scans or when you want to free up some space.
If you do not like Adobe Reader (53 MB), you can download Foxit PDF Reader(7 MB)
. It is a much smaller file to download and uses a lot less resources than Adobe Reader.
Note: When installing FoxitReader
, be careful, do not install
anything to do with AskBar
I recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs (all free), and remember
to update them regularly
- WinPatrol As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes a snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.
- Spyware Blaster - By altering your registry, this program stops harmful sites from installing things like ActiveX Controls on your machine.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - It is a powerful anti-malware tool. It is totally free, but for real-time protection you will have to pay a small one-time fee. We used this to help clean your computer and we recomend keeping it and using it often.
Here is some great reading about how to be safer online:PC Safety and Security - What Do I Need?
and COMPUTER SECURITY
- a short guide to staying safer online from Malware Removal
One of the most important steps is to backup your data regularly.
you mentioned a plan to purchase a new external drive. When you do be sure to back up your personal files, especially documents, spreadsheets, photos, and emails.
Free drive image programs I have used that work well include:EaseUs TodoDriveImage XML
The best purchased one I have used:AcronisThe key to all of these is to make regular backups.
Using these tools you can minimize your loss if you need to reimage and minimize the time preparing your computer with updates and programs you have installed.
Keep Safe Please reply
to this post so that I know you have read it. Then if you have no further questions, the thread can be closed
.I Will Keep This Open For About Three Days. If Anything Comes Up
- Just Come Back And Let Me Know, after that time you will have to send me a PM