Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen/Blinking Cursor [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok I have done all you instructed ... but I can not find the mbr.bin. I put the usb back into my clean pc I opened the K drive which is the usb but can not find the file mbr.bin :(

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok I have done all you instructed ... but I can not find the mbr.bin. I put the usb back into my clean pc I opened the K drive which is the usb but can not find the file mbr.bin :(

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
  • Use safe removal to remove the USB drive from your clean computer.
  • Insert the USB drive into a USB port on the sick computer.
  • Start the sick computer and
  • The computer must be set to boot from the USB drive
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the USB drive
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Make sure there is a single space between all of these:

dd
    if=/dev/sda
    of=mbr.bin
    bs=512
    count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin

You can look at the files on the USB drive and make sure it is there before you remove it from the bad computer we are working on.

Do not remove the USB drive, instead click the Home tab in xPUD, select Power Off and then shut down. After that, remove USB drive and insert in the good computer to check for mbr.bin as noted in the next step.
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

Edited by CompCav, 06 March 2012 - 01:28 PM.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok I have done that and I have made sure the spaces were where they belong. I do see a mbr.bin file on the right side of the screen while in the sd1 folder after doing tool/open terminal and typed ... dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

I then went to home tab and powered off/shut down desktop b4 removing usb sandisk ... BUT when I put it in my clean computer I cant find it! I have tried every folder and searched for the mbr.bin file but to no avail. I can not find it :(

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Can you see the USB drive on the clean computer?

Can you see files like:

syslinux.cfg
vesamenu.c32

Folders like:

boot
opt

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
When you run xPud and it finishes loading you click on File.

Click on Mnt

Mnt expands and sdb1 will probably be at the bottom, click on it and the following directories and files will show:

Folders are:
boot
opt

Files are:
autorun.inf
ldlunux.sys
syslinux.cfg
vesamenu.c32

If the above files and folders are not showing you are on the wrong drive.

If it is not, please click on the sd?? folders below mnt until you see the files above in the main window.

Once they are showing, then you are on the correct drive and can execute the command by:

• Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal

Make sure there is a single space between all of these:

dd
    if=/dev/sda
    of=mbr.bin
    bs=512
    count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin

You can look at the files on the USB drive and make sure it is there among the other files/folders listed above.
  • Do not remove the USB drive yet, instead click the Home tab in xPUD, select Power Off and then shut down. After that, remove USB drive and insert in the good computer to check for mbr.bin as noted in the next step.
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Yes I do see those files ... I see ::

syslinux.cfg
vesamenu.c32

& folders::

boot
opt

BUT no :: mbr.bin

Edited by Lexy610, 06 March 2012 - 10:50 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Did you see them when you were entering the command:

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
when I enter the command "dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1" I see mbr.bin on the right side of my folder .... when it is in the sick computer ...

when I put the usb in the clean computer I see those files & folders but not mbr.bin

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK good now do you leave the USB drive in the sick computer until it completely shuts down?

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Yes ... I go to the home tab and then click on power off/shut down

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Well it should be there and it is not so I will check with my instructor and get back to you tomorrow. Thank you for your patience in dealing with this matter, I know it is frustrating to have this kind of an issue with your computer.

On another note I need to know what the Dell model number is of this sick computer and what the service tag number is. Once we get it to boot up we will need to address the optical drive issue and I need this information to work on that part of the problem with your computer.

Thanks,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi Lexy610,

Since you can see the file on the flash drive when in xPUD we will have you send it from within xPUD.

This next step is easiest if you are connected to your router by a cable, if it is wireless it may or may not configure properly.

Please connect the USB drive to your sick computer and boot up.

Once you are booted up confirm you can see the mbr.bin file, if not then redo the instructions so that it will appear:

• A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal

xPud use Firefox to upload file

In the sdb1? folder (which is the flash drive) find mbr.bin

Right click on it and select rename.

Rename it mbr.txt

Make sure you are connected to the internet via ethernet cable or setup the wireless to go online.

Click Menu, click Web Browser firefox

Type www.geekstogo.com in the address bar and hit ENTER

Click on Forums, sign in, click on your topic and go to add reply.

Click on use Full Editor

Type a message in and then below the input box click the button Click to Attach Files

Search to the flash drive for the file, click it to upload it.

Then click Add to post.

Finally click Add reply.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi here is my file ... Also the Service Tag to my dell is 1BF9K91 and the Dell model is : Intel Pentium D Processor 830 (3GHz) w/Dual Core Technology. 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 128MB ATI Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV OUT) Radeon X300SE, 500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)[attachment=56491:mbr.txt]

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks Lexy610, you did a great job! :thumbsup:

The masterboot record is infected, I will prepare a fix for my instructor to review and once approved I will post it tomorrow!

CompCav