Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen/Blinking Cursor [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OMG is that bad? :( Can it be fixed .. I hope so because all my kids pictures and work files are in it! :'(

Thank you so much for all of your time and help I deeply appreciate it!

xoxo

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

OMG is that bad? :( Can it be fixed .

It is a typical TDL rootkit, we should be able to fix. We can always backup your pictures if you want at any time if you have an external drive or another flash drive depending on the amount of file space needed.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Oh Ok thank goodness ..

I did have an external drive which cost me 100 bucks and it died!!! LOL

I will look into getting another one .. do you have any recommendations on a good one that's reliable? I have tons of pictures so I think I am better off buying an external drive.

Thank you!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You should have one anyway. I have had good luck with Western Digital and Seagate external drives. I have two Western Digitals and four Seagates in Service right now.

Edited by CompCav, 07 March 2012 - 10:11 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
When you get the external drive let me know and I will give you the instructions to copy the files off your sick computer to the external drive for safe keeping and future use.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I will definitely go out and buy one this weekend for sure!

Thanks again .. I appreciate your time and help!

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I will let you know as soon as I get one!

Thank you! :)

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
As we prepare to fix your master boot record, we will perform a modification that will result in you losing access to the Dell Utility partition. If you use it regularly let me know and when we have cleaned up your computer I will give you instructions to do so.

Right click the following download link and select "save link/target as": xPUD_MBRfix
Save the file to your USB drive.
  • Boot the ailing computer to xPUD
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Double click on xPUD_MBRfix to execute the script
  • When asked "what boot code do you want to write?" type m for XP boot code and press enter.
  • When asked "to which one do you want to write a new mbr?" type sda and press enter.
  • Type y and press enter to confirm your choices.
  • Press enter to close the window.
  • Upon finishing, its actions will produce a report (mlog.txt)
  • Post that report in your next reply

Once done, restart and test. Run Combofix if able to boot in Normal Mode. If not give me a status on this run.

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:

Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop * IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

Posted Image
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
    Posted Image
  • Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:
    Posted Image
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" for further review.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ugh I am having the same problem as before .. I saved the link xPUD_MBRfix to my USB .. I then safely remove it .. I then put it in my sick pc and boot it I go to XPUD .. then mnt/sda1 and i dont see the file!! I then [ut it back in my clean pc and I can see it!!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
mnt/sdb1? not sda. Try that the sda's are for the hard drive.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I only have one folder that says sda1 ... once I click on the folder mnt the sub folder is sda1 .. that's all I have. ...

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
It is not recognizing your USB flash drive then. I will consult with my instructor on this.

CompCav

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok thank you

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK we will go through this step by step.

Step 1.

The bootable USB flash drive that you made earlier is the one we are using.

Insert it in the good computer.

Click on My Computer then click on the USB drive.(removable drive)
You should see:

Folders:
boot
opt

Files:
syslinux.cfg
vesamenu.c32

If you do not see these files let me know. If you do see them keep the USB drive in the good computer and go on to step.2

Step 2.

Right click the following download link and select "save link/target as": xPUD_MBRfix
Save the file to your USB drive.

Click on My Computer and then click on the USB drive (removable)
You should see:

Folders:
boot
opt

Files:
syslinux.cfg
vesamenu.c32
xPUD_MBRfix

If you do not see all of these let me know.
If you do then right click on the Safely remove hardware icon in your system tray select your USB mass storage device to Stop When it says it is safe to remove, remove it. Go on to step 3.

Step 3.

• Insert the USB drive in the ailing computer. Turn on the ailing computer and push F12 to select boot up on USB device.
  • Boot the ailing computer to xPUD
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Double click on xPUD_MBRfix to execute the script
  • When asked "what boot code do you want to write?" type m for XP boot code and press enter.
  • When asked "to which one do you want to write a new mbr?" type sda and press enter.
  • Type y and press enter to confirm your choices.
  • Press enter to close the window.
  • Upon finishing, its actions will produce a report (mlog.txt)
  • Post that report in your next reply by using FireFox on the xPUD desktop
  • Make sure you are connected to the internet via ethernet cable or setup the wireless to go online.
  • Click Menu, click Web Browser firefox
  • Type www.geekstogo.com in the address bar and hit ENTER
  • Click on Forums, sign in, click on your topic and go to add reply.
  • Click on use Full Editor
  • Type a message in and then below the input box click the button Click to Attach Files
  • Search to the flash drive for the file, mlog.txt, click it to upload it.
  • Then click Add to post.
  • Finally click Add reply.
  • Click on Home
  • Click on Power Off
  • Click on Turn Off
  • When the ailing PC is shutdown remove the USB flash drive.

Step 4.

Once done, restart and test the ailing computer to see if it can boot up into normal mode.
If not give me a status on this run.

When it boots up
Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:

Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop * IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

Posted Image
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
    Posted Image
  • Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:
    Posted Image
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" for further review.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ive done that several times yesterday and again this morning .. you can see the script on my clean computer when I am viewing it in the USB ... but when I put it in the sick computer I do not see it ... Here is a pic of what I see

Pic 1 is the view on my clean computer .... pic 2 is the view on the sick computer

[attachment=56519:photo2.JPG]