Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen/Blinking Cursor [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Lexy610

Lexy610

• PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Every time I turn on my computer (Dell ... Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005) I get the DELL logo but then it just shows the black screen with the blinking cursor... I have tried to get to safe mode by tapping F12 but it wont let me go to safe mode menu :(. It takes me to the "Boot Device Menu" .... what do I do? Please I desperately need to get into this computer. I have all my pictures, stuff for work & my software for my photography work in it!! HELP me please

I have a Dell Intel Pentium D Processor 830 (3GHz) w/Dual Core Technology. 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 500 GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi, Lexy610! Posted ImageMy nick name is CompCav and I will be assisting you with your Malware/Security problems. Please make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them. If you have any questions or you are unsure about anything, just ask and I will help you out. :)

If you have resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please let me know so that this topic can be closed.

I am currently still in training and my posts have to be approved by an expert so please expect a delay between my posts.

Please make sure you are saving and printing the instructions out prior to each fix, this way you will have them on hand just in case you are unable to access this site. One of the steps I will be asking you to do requires you to boot into Safe Mode and this process will be much easier for you to perform if the instructions are printed out for you to follow.

If you are ready to get started, please review and follow these guidelines so that we resolve your issues in a timely and effective manner:
  • Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instructions that I give you. Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • These instructions have been specifically tailored to your computer and the issues you are experiencing with your computer. These instructions are not suitable for any other computer, even if the issues are fairly similar.
  • Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. However, the one thing that you should always do, is to make sure your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
  • Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Just do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file inside your post and submit.
  • You must reply within four days failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
  • Please do not PM me directly for help. If you have any questions, post them in this topic. PM me only if I have not responded to your last post in 2 days.
  • Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to ultimately reformat your hard drive and reinstall the operating system.
    Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Please have the software and storage media for backing up your data available.

I have tried to get to safe mode by tapping F12 but it wont let me go to safe mode menu

Please try tapping F8 and let me know if you get to the Advanced Options Menu and select SafeMode with Networking

Tell me if you were able to get into safe mode with networking or not.

What happened leading up to this when it was working? (Was it slow, had it been dropped?)

Do you have another computer we can use to download files? If so what is the operating system (i . e. XP, Vista, Windows 7)

Do you have a small USB flash drive to transfer files?

Do you have some blank CD's to make CD's on the good machine?

CompCav

Edited by CompCav, 22 February 2012 - 06:26 AM.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi Compcav .. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me with. I will answer your questions according to the order of your questions ....

Yes Ive tried to get to safe mode .. it was a typo I meant to say F8. When I do tap F8 I still get just the black screen with blinking cursor.

It was working fine before this happened as far as I can remember.

Yes I do have another working computer .. it is also a Dell XP.

Yes I do have a USB flash drive to tranfer files.

Yes I do have blank CD's to make a cd just have to check to see if I have a program to make the cd.

Lex

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thank you for your response to my questions.

just have to check to see if I have a program to make the cd.

We will provide one if necessary, many of our tools to make bootable CD's come with a CD burner included to make the CD.

Step 1.

This step is to protect your clean computer.

• Please download Panda USB Vaccine (you must provide valid e-mail and they will send you download link to this e-mail address) to your desktop.
  • Install and run the program.

• Double-click on the file USBVaccine.zip located on your desktop.
  • A file viewer will open. Double-click on the file USBVaccineSetup.exe. Please select Yes if you are asked if you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer.
  • Follow the steps on screen to install the program on your computer.

• Plug in your USB drive and click on Vaccinate USB and Vaccinate Computer.

Step 1.

You will need a USB drive and a blank CD.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi Sorry for the late reply. I was hospitalized on Thursday and this is the first opportunity I got to reply to you. I will be released tomorrow so I will read your instruction and follow up with you then. I wanted to reply and let you know so that my thread stays open until my pc is fixed. Sorry once again.

I will definitely reply to you at some point tomorrow once i get home & settled. Thanks again

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thank you for the note. We will keep your topic open.

If a topic is ever closed you can always send a private message (PM) to the person that was helping you or to any staff member. At that point they reopen the topic and notify the helper that the Original Poster has returned. This might result in a delay of 24 to 48 hours at the most.

So please take care of yourself and we will work on this topic when you are ready. :thumbsup:

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi Lexy610,

I hope you are doing well. Just a friendly reminder and note of concern.

Get well soon,

CompCav

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Thank you so much. I am feeling much better. Thankfully I am home & I am hoping to clean my computer.

I just started the process you sent me ... I downloaded & installed the panda usb vaccine and it allowed me to click on vaccinate computer but the option to vaccinate the usb is greyed out I can not vaccinate the usb .. is that OK? Should I continue. I will not close it out & hopefully I will hear from you soon so that I may continue.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
It is OK the main thing was your clean machine. When you use the USB and insert it in the clean machine make sure to hold down the Shift key on your keyboard to prevent an autorun malware for several seconds after you plug it in.

I am glad you are better!!

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Thank you so much.

OK I got till this step :Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD ... once I gently tap F12 I get the Boot Device Menu with these choices ... *Onboard SATA Hard Drive, USB Device, System Setup, Hard Drive Diagnostics & Boot to Utility Partition.

There is no option to boot from CD? :(

What do I do?

I turned on computer inserted cd & usb gently tapped F12 & got that menu.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK you may need to go into the BIOS and set the boot order for the CD drive to be first.

Here is how to do that:

Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second

• Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (F2 for Dell normally)
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:

• CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd

• Open your CDROM drive and insert the disk and insert the USB drive in a USB port
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the xPud CD
Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal

• Press Enter
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK I tapped on the F2 key & got the Boot Sequence ... I dont see CD-ROM, this is what I have

1. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
2. USB Device
3. Onboard SATSA Hard Drive
4. Onboard USB Floppy Drive
5. Onboard IDE Hard Drive

I did move the Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive & USB Device up which were not at the top.

PS....how do you post pictures on here? I wanted to post a pic of what I see but didnt know how too.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
BTW ... when I tapped F2 It took me to the -> Dell System DXP051 Menu .. on the left I saw System & under that the only option I saw that refers to Boot is Boot Sequence .. I didnt see anything that said BIOS

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Oh and more thing .. next to the option "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive" in parenthesis I see this (not present)

In other words I see this ->> Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive (not present)!?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

PS....how do you post pictures on here? I wanted to post a pic of what I see but didnt know how too

First save the picture as a .jpg file.

Click to attach file is to the left below the box you type in or paste into. Click it and go to the file on your computer to upload it.

Then once it is uploaded click add to post which is to the right of click to attach.

Dell System DXP051 Menu

is the BIOS for our machine. So you were in the correct place.

In other words I see this ->> Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive (not present)!?

This means that your machine does not recognize your CD-ROM drive for some reason.

Let's try to create a bootable USB drive on your clean computer and use it to boot your sick computer.

If you create an USB drive you need to create it slightly differently:

Download http://unetbootin.so...dows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net.../xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer (You should already have the xpud-0.2.iso file on your desktop.
•Insert your USB drive

•Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format

•Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded

•Press Run then OK

•Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.

•Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded

•Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK

•It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device

•Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface

•After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer

• Use safe removal to remove the USB drive from your clean computer.
  • Insert the USB drive into a USB port on the sick computer.
  • Start the sick computer and
  • The computer must be set to boot from the USB drive
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the USB drive
  • Follow the prompts
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal

• Press Enter