Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP (in some cases) won't boot offof a SATA3 sdd

• Please log in to reply

PMW#1

PMW#1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A head-scratcher of a (smallish) prob that hopefully some whiz/upline will be able (TIA) to solve for me - hopefully similar to the excellent way Linux Questions works on the penguin side :-).

Specs:
Asus M5A97Evo m/b
FX-4100 cpu
8G Kingston 1600 DDR3
90G OCZ Vertex 3 SSD with win7 and Fedora14
1TB whirlygig Seagate with XP, a large NTFS "dump" partition, and FC16
Asus SATA DVDRW
No floppy :-(

Now that SSDs have gotten to be (only just!) affordable - 90G is enough for a dualboot win/linux setup - I've built myself up a new box from scratch with the above bits to get to experience SATA3 whizziness - and yes, wow! : the 15second functioning 7 desktop!

The problem:
I've got win7 and FC14 (my preferred linux - don't much like the MACishness of FC16 or Ubuntu Ocelot etc) booting fine off the 90G SSD - with its GRUB to let me choose between them also working fine.
So the whizzy SSD disk's MBR/GRUB and two OSs are working fine when that drive is set as first boot device in the BIOS.

I did a "Rescue re-install/overwrite" of an older XP OS on the whirlygig 1TB Seagate (one still occasionally needs XP) - after, of course, having to connect that drive (and the optical DVDRW) to IDE ports - ie to connect it to one of ports4-8 which I'd set as IDE in the BIOS.
Without setting them to IDE the XP install CD wouldn't recognise any storage devices or previous installations and the Rescue overwrite couldn't/wouldn't work.
And, of course, I have reinstalled drivers, antivirus etc etc as needed
So XP and FC16 are now booting up fine from the GRUB on the 1TB whirlydrive when I set that drive as the first hdd in the boot sequence in the BIOS.

But what I want to do :confused: is to put an entry into the 90G SSD's MBR/GRUB to let me boot XP (and FC16) from that GRUB as well as 7 and FC14 - which as I say, are booting fine.
ie I'm trying to set up a quadboot system - which I've had/got working fine on an older (SATA2) computer.

But when I put the entry for XP into the SSD's GRUB (pointing to the whirlygig drive's OSs - [hd1,0] for XP (and [blahblah hd1,3] for Fedora16) - and try and boot XP it just comes up with "There was a disk read error Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".
Which would suggest that XP is back to not being able to read the SATA3connected whirlydrive :confused:

And yet, as I say, when the whirly drive is selected as first hdd in the BIOS both of its OSs boot fine :confused:

So how do I get XP to be "seen"/bootable off the SSDs MBR/GRUB??? :help:

TIA very much for any ideas!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I suspect that you are going to have to look to see what grub thinks that the second disk actually is (the numbering is not always what you would expect). If there is a gui tool to add another boot device, it might find the disk with the correct name/number.

You can go into the grub shell, which should allow you to see what is there and try things.

As a side suggestion, I would consider using VirtualBox and have the XP machine be a virtual machine. Much easier to deal with in my opinion.

PMW#1

PMW#1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx for those ideas, Kemasa.
Yes, I know that GRUB can come up with some different/weird labels - but I was 90+% sure that I had the right one - hd1,0 - where the rewritten XP was living.
I'd tried sd1,0 but that came up with a different error - a "parsing error".
It seems quite tricky (ie I didn't succeed :-() to get grub-mkdevicemap to work.
Command-line stuff can take hours to get right - I couldn't seem to get any of the >grub commands to work even though I have in the past got /sbin/grub-install to work OK when winDoze overwrites it all - and there don't seem to be any GUI apps for GRUB around that a quick search could find.
And I don't really want/need to get into the virtualbox business - after having had a working-well 4 x OS GRUB for a few months now on my older, slower SATA2 box.

But, as I've just solved it by a bit more googling :-) I thought, as an opensource-ish, mainlylinux person, that I'd better say what eventually worked:
On a site dealing with these problems ("how to add another XP disk" I think was the heading) it said to replace my current GRUB entry which was originally (and not working) :

title Windows XP
rootnoverify
chainloader +1

with :

title Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

And for some reason that I can't yet fathom :confused: this entry seems to work fine :thumbsup:

The last thing that I'll try now is to see if I can plug the whirly drive into one of the (faster) AHCI ports (= nos1-4) to hopefully speed it up - since it (XP) is, ATM, slower than usual to boot.
And with a 15 second-ish win7 boot time the usual 1minute+ish XP boot now seems interminable :(
AAMOI even FC14 is around the 15 second mark offof the SATA3 SSD :lol:

Cheers
PMW#1

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Good to hear that you got it working!!