Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Not Reponding issue.....help!

• Please log in to reply

edselguy

edselguy

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am having alot of problems with my irefox freezing up. Every so often I get a msg at the top of my screen reading Firefox Not Responding. It is more frequent than before and there are still windows popping up informing me of a script not responding properly. My system was recently checked for infections and found to be clean, but these problems still are present. Attached is a link to the last trouble shooting we did and what was tried:
http://www.geekstogo...se/page__st__30 .

If anyone can assist in eliminating what's causing this, your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Ken

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi edselguy,

In Firefox 10.0.1 if that's what you're running, click on help in the Firefox browser. In the window that opens click _Restart with add-ons disabled. This may determine if an add-on is causing a problem. Run Firefox in that mode for a while and let us know.

Please verify your Firefox version and Windows version too.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 15 February 2012 - 03:52 PM.

edselguy

edselguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am currently running Firefox 10.1.1 . My pc uses Windows Vista. I havent had any major problems until about a year ago, but now it has gotten progressively worse with the Not Rspsonding issue and the script not responding windows popping up. I should have mentioned this in my original post, but I did try the restart with add ons disabled. All seemed well, but then the Not Responding problem reared its head again. I have most add ons disabled except for the yahoo toolbar and my Symantec Intrusion Prevention. I will give the restart with add ons disabled attempt another try and report back here in a day or two after I can watch it for a bit. Thanks!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Ok. Let us know how it goes. If it continues to be a problem you may consider information in the link below. Please read carefully. Either completely uninstalling Firefox or creating a new user profile.

Important: It is rarely necessary to remove Firefox to repair it. Usually it is sufficient to create a new profile, and it is not necessary to remove the old profile. In some cases it is also necessary to uninstall Firefox and install it in a new folder. Note that it is usually safer to rename files and folders than to delete them.

http://kb.mozillazin...talling_firefox

Joe.

edselguy

edselguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, I've been watching things the last few days and there is no difference at all. The freezing up (Not Responding) issue is still present and has not changed at all. I will click the link you provided and go from there to pursue this further and see what happens. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
FireFox has updated to version 10.0.2
I have Win7 Pro 64 bit running FF with no freezing issues at all.
How is your system running other then FF freezing?

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 21 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

I am writing on behalf of my friend Ken, who has contacted me about this thread. Ken asked me to send you his sincere apologies for his lack of response, and wants you to know he is most grateful for your help. He has been offline for a while following a family bereavement, and when he finally went to log on he found he has forgotten his password!

Ken was anxious that you know he has not been deliberately ignoriong you and is keen to restart this thread to resolve his issues.

(I will be sending you a PM about restarting this thread)

Best wishes,

Roger

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Roger and personal family is more important then this topic. Whenever he can log on all he has to do is post in this topic and I will receive a email that he did. If he can't remember his password he can contact one of the Admin and ask if they can reset his password so he can log on using his original log in name. He does not have to worry about the topic as it will remain open no matter what. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue? I understand your situation is special and I hope my question doesn't seem heartless at this point since it has only been 20 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

edselguy

edselguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi.
The problem is of no further bother. After our last attempt at trying to repair it, me computer let out a rather odd loud beep and then sht itself down. I was not able to get it to turn back on at all, no matter what I tried to do. I had gone out and purchased a new pc. I was not able to reply sooner because I could not locate my password to log on. During this time, we had a sudden and unexpected death of a family member. Things are still completely unraveled and we are still trying to resolve related issues with this. I had intended to provide a more timely reply to you and please accept my deepest apology for not doing so sooner. I have found my password now and thank you for your time and assistance. Your inquiry was in no way untimely or anything of the sort. Again, my apology to you and everyone else for tying things up making you all wait during this difficult time. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

During this time, we had a sudden and unexpected death of a family member.

I am so sorry to hear this. :(

I had intended to provide a more timely reply to you and please accept my deepest apology for not doing so sooner.

Understandable given the situation.

My last question is were you able to keep your old hd as a backup?

edselguy

edselguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Being a pack rat, I save everything....lol. Yes, I still have the old tower stored in the basement. Hd is still inside.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good you can get a external enclosure and use the hd as a second data storage drive after you copy all the data you need to save from it.