Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

If IE is not actually used, are there still any advantages to installi

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Assuming one does not actually use IE but instead uses Firefox, are there any system wide advantages to having IE9 as opposed to IE8 installed on a computer? Or do the advantages come into play only when actually using IE?

The reason I am asking is this:

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit installation. It is Service Pack 1 and fully updated, except that it still has IE8 installed. I use Firefox for my normal browsing and use IE only for one website that I need to access for work. IE8, not IE9, *must* be used to access this website.

I do have XP Mode installed and am thinking of possibly upgrading my Windows 7 environment to IE9, and instead using the IE8 inside of XP Mode to access that one website for work. However, the one drawback of that is that the XP Mode IE takes about 10-12 seconds to open up as opposed to a normal, non-XP Mode window of IE.

Considering I do need to access this website everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, and also that this website is literally the *only* reason I use any version of IE at all, would there be any advantages to upgrading to IE9 in my situation?

I'd appreciate someone's opinion who is more knowledgeable on the subject than I.

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,502 posts
Hi diggeryo,

Just a bit of information for you.

There's going to be no System wide advantage to installing IE 9. The main reason for using the most current browser is mostly for security reasons, new versions tend to be more secure, since you're not surfing the net with IE security may not be a big issue here. Another reason to up-grade browsers is because the World Wide Web is constantly changing and browsers need to keep up, they are after all your portal to the Web.

Sounds like a Real Estate Site you speak of. I'm sure others will chime in too!

Joe :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts

would there be any advantages to upgrading to IE9 in my situation?

It sure doesn't sound like it.

It could be worse, you could be stuck with IE6. :P

Have you (or someone else) tried IE9 in compatibility view?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Thank you both for your replies.

admin: I have tried compatibility mode. No dice. :-(