Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new builder, gamer, $2000-2500 budget, help picking parts

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you decided on which CPU you are going to use?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Clarification with regards to the Antec Nine Hundred cases

Thanks for that!

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm going with the amd fx 4100 4x3.6mb, 2mb l2 8mb l3

Also going with the msi ati 6970 twin frozr iii 2gb-outperforms nvidia 560ti, no driver issues, same price

Still searching for cases

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
changed my mind about the case-going with nzxt switch 810

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
anyone know where i could get custom laser engraving done?

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I'm going with the amd fx 4100 4x3.6mb, 2mb l2 8mb l3

I meant 4x3.6ghtz

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Well, no filters but it does have a lot of fan options and good cable management. I personally would get the black on black version - white-faced optical drives are hard, if not impossible to find. And as I noted before, I pay attention to what's on my monitors and expect my cases to not draw attention to themselves. But that's me.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you looked at any monitors yet?

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Well, no filters but it does have a lot of fan options and good cable management. I personally would get the black on black version

According to Newegg, this case has "full coverage fan filters", and the case is black steel. I'm going with a somewhat decorative, semi-military-theme; hence the curiosity about laser engraving, but the somewhat simplistic looking case with no LED fans.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811146089

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
As far as monitors go, I'm getting a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, and I have a 40" 1080p tv which I will use atleast for now. Would you see a problem with this?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Ah, I see you are right - it does have filters. Not sure how I missed that before. Thanks for pointing that out.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

and I have a 40" 1080p TV which I will use at least for now. Would you see a problem with this?

I don't think you will have problems running the display but it may not be a satisfactory image. One of the big issues seems to be awareness of the Pixel size as on a desk top, you are sitting to close to the screen. Lots of users have a PC monitor and use a large TV as a second display for watching video. Read this thread and look for similar.

http://www.avsforum....97#post21386797

http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1645885

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I AM a monitor noob; my current tv is a Dynex 40" lcd 1080p-dont remember exact model, bought dec 2009
refresh rate 60hz, v-chip, 16:9 aspect, 400 cd/m brightness. Doesn't say if its 4:4:4, so I'm assuming it's not

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
If I were to decide to buy a new tv rather than a monitor-mostly because of the price difference-what features would I need in order to be able to get a good display?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
If this was my rig, I would build it and experiment with you existing screen. If you could get it, say on a wall, 4 to 5 feet away, it may be OK for you, Using a screen designed for watching TV is never going to be the same as using a PC monitor. Gaming on a 24in is very good or with the selected GPU, you could build up to a 3 screen display.

In your next post could you please list what you have decided on to date.