Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD error after CPU install

• Please log in to reply

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
thanks a lot mac for taking your time with us.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You are welcome
Good Luck
Please do let us know how you progress

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do a new Whocrashed report and include it in your next post.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well do MAC I have another friend here helping us out as well he was the one who did the reformat just to start off with a fresh insight.
He also contact another user on this forum to see if he had ever come across such a strange problem. It really took us by surprise
But It did pass the mem test however the CPU test we couldn't figure it out. Its pretty late now on our end and we've been up for 15 hours hahaha.
So maybe well take a crack at it next time when we have brain cells back in us again.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hey rshaffer, well now that we reformatted the computer there is no longer any errors in record.
But during the install doing the quick reformat option it did restart and showed a BSOD error with a 0x00000008 code before coming off the screen.

What I did was reformatted again but using the regular longer way and had windows reinstalled. Since then no problems has happen. I took the computer from my friends house to my dads because I have more hardware to swap in and out to narrow down the cause but nothing.
in a few hours I'm going to return the computer to my friend so that he can put back all the software he uses to see if any problems pop up.
I left all the programs that MAC as well as the Blue Screen viewer so this way if anything happens i'll be able to proved a record for the both of you.
Thank you guys so much for helping me and my friends. I'll be sure to post again as soon as I hear something from him.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

He also contact another user on this forum to see if he had ever come across such a strange problem. It really took us by surprise

Please clarify that there is NOT now another topic running on this issue, somewhere else on this site - GeekstoGo started by another member. - as I am a little uncertain by what you mean when you say
He also contact another user on this forum

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other member was me Mac and I responded post 18. :thumbsup:

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey guys lol sorry for the confusion and mix up.
So i dropped off the computer back to his house and 10 mins later he called me and said it restarted 4 times again when he went online and again when he tried to move the back up files from the D partition to the C.
Mind you I had it at my house for 5 hours moving files, downloading programs etc.... not one blue screen. I had him turn off automatic restart so he can take a picture of the error so that I can work on it tomorrow night.

So here's the run down as it stand.
1) fresh windows install xp pro SP3 for sure
2) updated BIOS-chipset-network drivers-audio drivers. (might have to check video drivers again)
3) CPU temp still running cool.
4) pass all memtest runs.

Only hardware change has been CPU.
** The only thing that comes to my mind that is different from my house vs his house. Is blue tooth keyboard & mouse, webcam, xbox controller, HDMI hook up, printer. Those were the things I didn't have when it was over my house.

The only option i can think of is putting the old CPU back in and seeing if it continues doing it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also where he is pluging it in at.
Is he using a surge protector or straight into the wall?
Has he tried a different receptacle?

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm going to have to check, but I'm pretty sure its going into a power strip or some type of multi-plug, because his room seems to have power on one side. For example, his TV, PS3, xbox,monitor, etc... I think are all powered from this one side of the room.
Its been that way for years and this machine is about 4 to 5 years old.
When he did the cpu swap, he cleaned off the old paste then added arctic silver 5 to both cpu and heat sink. Now from what I understand he said it was restarting a lot. So i told him to give me a temp reading from the BIOS and it kept going up and up from 50 to 85 before the computer did a auto shut down. So i told him maybe you put too little or the heat sink isn't flushed. So he added a more and made sure everything was fine.
When he turned it on at the POST it said to update the BIOS to *unlock the full power of the quad*. He checked the temp again and it was stable between 45 to 50 and once windows booted 50-55 never moving.
Next step was updating the BIOS since his version was 0903 or 4 really old :) to 14xx which ever is the latest. Then restarted and everything was fine until a week later when he started getting blue screens and restarts randomly but mostly when he was online.
The 1st error was a IRQL or something not equal or less with a TCPIP.sys error at the bottom. Then those errors that who crashed found and the last error. So I reformatted the hard drive and did a quick NTFS reformat and again the computer restarted during the install so i reformatted again but this time not the quick and it went fine, when we thought it was fixed a 0x08 blue screen came up. That's the step by step process.
Tonight after he gets out of work i'll see what who crashed and the blue screen viewer has seen and post them up here.
It was clearly not windows seeing how it did it turning the setup. But it leaves me to think now, is it the cpu or did something else get damaged in the process. But its like any time its over his house it looses its mind lol.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You know these symptoms are sounding more like a faulty PSU then a CPU. Temp is fine but it sounds like a serious voltage fluctuation to me. If he can get into windows have him do the below instructions.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

If he can't get into Windows then have him check the bios for voltage readings. The two I need to know are the +3.3 and +12 volt readings.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Also I would NOT recommend returning to the old cpu.
There is on all the evidence available no reason to suspect it.

We will have a better idea when you get us a Who Crashed report from the recent BSOD at his house.

HOWEVER

Is blue tooth keyboard & mouse, webcam, xbox controller, HDMI hook up, printer. Those were the things I didn't have when it was over my house.

These MUST on the evidence available be your starting point.
In addition of course to what my colleague said in his post 24 - that is your first test.

Then although you can search in Device Manager to see if any of these items have any warnings, the easier and most effective test is - take the keyboard and mouse you were using to his house.
1. Disconnect all the devices mentioned above.
2. Connect your keyboard and mouse
Does it still crash.
IF NOT

3. connect his devices ONE at a time and test AFTER each
in order
a. webam
b. xbox
c. printer
d. HDMI - if this is the only monitor connection and it is possible take your monitor to test
If HDMI is providing dual monitor test with one at a time.
If HDMI is providing sound as well across the bus to the graphics card from the onboard sound disable that and run with sound form the speakers anmd graphics only from the HDMI

e. If still no crash then go to bluetooth.

The favourite I think is the HDMI or the bluebooth

AND

So i dropped off the computer back to his house and 10 mins later he called me and said it restarted 4 times again when he went online and again when he tried to move the back up files from the D partition to the C.
Mind you I had it at my house for 5 hours moving files, downloading programs etc.... not one blue screen. I had him turn off automatic restart so he can take a picture of the error so that I can work on it tomorrow night

DID YOU GO ONLINE

NOTE post 25 and 26 not visible when I started this reply and was interrupted by a visitor.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
You got it guys I'm going to follow everything all the way down to the beginning.
Yes Mac i went online also. I went to java,adobe,firefox,google chrome, malware bites even all the programs that the both of you had listed. I even logged into facebook, youtube and PSN. Nothing.

rshaffter, You know I never thought about his PSU. I really don't know what is the wattage on it. There has been lots of hardware upgrading going on in those 5 years and its been the same PSU never dusted out either.

I'll do the speedfan test to get the results and then I'll connect devices one by one.

Guys does the CPU grab more power from the PSU when its doing any heavy calculating?

But also remember rshaffter that, when i had it over my house it did restart once during the windows install. But one thing is for sure at my house it only did reboot once. While at his once it happens all the time back to back.
Ok i'm heading out right now to his house. It'll take me a while since he lives 25 miles from me.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes to the CPU and to the graphics as well

When loaded the current draw will be greater.
So if for instance a given PSU can supply X amps on the 12 v rail

and a 550 GTX graphics - again at random

Thermal and Power Specs:100 C Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 116 W Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)
400W Minimum System Power Requirement
requires 116 watts MAXIMUM
and as amps are watts devided by volts that is 9.6 amps just for the graphics ALONE when loaded.

When only being used for the basics of a desktop etc it will not draw the 9.6amps.

and the maximum draw of an Intel i5 at 2800Mhz is about 35 watts.
NOTE I have NOT checked yours.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok guys it crashed with only the speakers plugged in, HDMI, camera plugged in but not active, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, universal blue tooth usb.
it still crashed with only a few things connected. He tested it using the web cam and it was fine but it happens quicker during browsing.

Here is what Blue Screen View has.

==================================================
Dump File : Mini022012-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/20/2012 8:33:47 AM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0xab555d5c
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : nv4_mini.sys
Caused By Address : nv4_mini.sys+2adb7f
File Description : NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 275.33
Product Name : NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 275.33
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 6.14.12.7533
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address :
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022012-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112

Dump File : Mini021912-04.dmp
Crash Time : 2/19/2012 11:08:16 PM
Bug Check String : MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001a
Parameter 1 : 0x00041284
Parameter 2 : 0xc2ec1001
Parameter 3 : 0x00003763
Parameter 4 : 0xc0e00000
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+2aa8
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f33
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+4c309
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+44224
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+939cc
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-04.dmp

Dump File : Mini021912-03.dmp
Crash Time : 2/19/2012 10:48:54 PM
Bug Check String : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007f
Parameter 1 : 0x0000000d
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : nv4_disp.dll
Caused By Address : nv4_disp.dll+ddbe9
File Description : NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Product Name : NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 6.14.12.7533
Crash Address : nv4_disp.dll+ddbe9
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-03.dmp

Dump File : Mini021912-02.dmp
Crash Time : 2/19/2012 10:47:10 PM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x00000018
Parameter 3 : 0xab87cbbc
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+2d43
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Crash Address :
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-02.dmp

Dump File : Mini021912-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/19/2012 10:44:39 PM
Bug Check String : PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug Check Code : 0x0000004e
Parameter 1 : 0x0000008f
Parameter 2 : 0x000b6148
Parameter 3 : 0x000b7748
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f33
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f33
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+45bb4
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+1c1b94
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+f8f64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-01.dmp

i attached speedfan picture.
and this is who crashed.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 2/20/2012 1:30:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022012-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_mini.sys (nv4_mini+0x2ADB7F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFAB555D5C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_mini.sys (NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_mini.sys NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Mon 2/20/2012 4:00:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x22F33)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0xFFFFFFFFC2EC1001, 0x3763, 0xFFFFFFFFC0E00000)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: MicrosoftÆ WindowsÆ Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 2/20/2012 3:48:08 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0xDDBE9)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0xD, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M

On Mon 2/20/2012 3:46:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x00000018)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x18, 0xFFFFFFFFAB87CBBC, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: Unknown .
Google query: Unknown KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Mon 2/20/2012 3:43:50 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021912-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x22F33)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x8F, 0xB6148, 0xB7748, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: MicrosoftÆ WindowsÆ Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 3 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation)

nv4_mini.sys (NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation)

unknown

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems