Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD error after CPU install

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have him do a system restore back to the 24th.
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will now be active again.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Advertisements

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ntoskrnl.exe
recent error before the system restore.
rshaffter, why are all these things happening though? Would it stop if i go back to a older bios version?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I would say a faulty OS, HD, Infection, Driver or Memory.
I believe we have tested the HD and Memory and found nothing there.
Drivers I think we checked those and everything was up to date.
Infection a possible hidden one or the OS itself may just need to reinstalled.
I believe we ran chkdsk /r and SFC and found nothing wrong there so that would almost take the OS out of the equation.
That brings it down to maybe a possible hidden infection causing this.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i ran malwarebytes, adware, even that microsoft scan thing they give for free and nothing is being found.
It's just so crazy that once the BIOS was updated that all these things started to happen like 2 or 3 days after the fact.
i dont know man its soo odd. the nvidia driver crashes im surprised finally stopped.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One suggestion I might give is to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard and see if there is a know issue with the update. They may not be aware of it or can suggest something to correct it. The scans you mentioned do not go very deep and can possibly miss something hiding as a legit file. If possible you may want to get the system back and go through the following steps.

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Any new programs installed since February 24th?

AND if I may suggest it, any updates, not only to Windows, but to any other programs or drivers etc.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
copy that thanks guys. Just a heads up also. I am able to force the computer to crash now. Any time i go online to a website that has multiple youtube or flash content and play 5 videos on the page in one shot but full screen one. The win32.sys and the ntoskrnl.exe are the only two that would keep on popping up in who crashed.

So is it safe to say that maybe the windows OS is messed up. Should i try another reinstall to see?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you checked to make sure your flash and java are up to date?

Check Flash HERE
Java you can check by doing the following.
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
guys could we do anything else to get this fixed for good even if he had to spend money? like putting in windows 7 etc....??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before attempting windows 7 you need to make sure there will not be any compatibility issues or if all the drivers are available for the system. To do this please do the following.

A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The other matter that comes to my mind is
RE YOUR POST 58 and 67

copy that thanks guys. Just a heads up also. I am able to force the computer to crash now. Any time i go online to a website that has multiple youtube or flash content and play 5 videos on the page in one shot but full screen one. The win32.sys and the ntoskrnl.exe are the only two that would keep on popping up in who crashed.

Which browser IE or Firefox and
Although you can make it crash by doing as per your quote on post 67, what was being done when it crashed on post 58

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
oh rshaffter i didn't see your other post. Yes the flash and java are all the most recent versions.

MAC both IE and firefox. The IE is a little dated the Fire Fox is the most recent one.

I'll take a took into the windows 7 advisor then.

I guess we're just trying what ever we can even if it means buying new things.

**update- a friend of mine put back the dual core just to see if magically its the BIOS conflicting with the quad seeing how asus does not have that quad under there cpu support list for that Mobo. **

The owner is also thinking of looking for a more recent 775 socket mobo if the problem is still around for windows 7. lol

so i guess what ever works, MAC i found out the PSU is a 550watt. I believe 550 is enough for core 2 quad 8400, 2 sticks DDR2 800, geforce 9800GT and a standard 7200RPM SATA 3 and i'm guessing 3 usb devices.

im going to call Asus on tuesday since i wont have time tomorrow. I believe next saturday will be the next time i can go to his house and test out more possibilities before attempting windows 7 and etc.....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Although you can make it crash by doing as per your quote on post 67, what was being done when it crashed on post 58

Unless I missed it, I did not see the answer to this.
HOWEVER also relevant I think - not what browsers do you have but what browser were you using when you were playing the online game with the five windows open and it crashed.

I would presuming it was Firefox, update IE to IE8 - 9 does not go with XP and then try, but of course if it crashes without the connection that is all a little irrelevant.

If IT ONLY crashes with the online games = then it MAYBE extremely relevant.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hey MAC, to answer your question, nothing different. Just going online, opening up PDFs things of that nature. It even crashed one time on him by opening the date and time. The only thing i was able to notice is when ever i made it process extra info, that I could make it crash.
Its like it would crash for him just by being on facebook. But when I get there I have to go to the extreme just to force it to act up.
Remember all the java, adobe, firefox, IE all those things are back and everything is configured to the same setting that the computer was on before, when it had the dual core and old BIOS.
I have scanned the hard drive in and out of safe mode, RAM tested, all temp and voltage settings are the same, windows xp pro SP3 with all the same up dates.
I did check that the CPU is not under ASUS list of support models. It might be dumb to think but maybe this is the cause for the problems.
maybe this chip vs the other quads that it supports is some how just different lol. Like something very small and dumb.

They did put back the core 2 and so far no problem in two days.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well the answer will be readily provided by Asus.
They are quite good at replying and if you ask them, can that motherboard support that CPU they will provide the definitive answer.