Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Better Antivirus than Norton?

• Please log in to reply

Jfenz

Jfenz

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm currently experiencing some issues with malware and have requested help in that forum, but I'm wondering if someone can give me their impression of the Norton A/V supplied with Comcast. It notified mr that there was an infection on my PC, but didn't stop it from infecting. It makes me think it didn't do it's job and that there might be some better programs out there. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It notified mr that there was an infection on my PC

This is what it should have done along with advising you to run a scan and quarantine the infection.

but didn't stop it from infecting

NO AV will be able to stop every case of malware. Just some info to keep in mind. There are 100's of new variants or malware strains created everyday. There is no way even if your AV is updated daily it could catch everything.

It makes me think it didn't do it's job and that there might be some better programs out there. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

It did do it's job by catching it but it may not have the updated signatures to stop it. It will also not tell you exactly when you got the infection but maybe what file it was connected to.

With all that being said I am not a fan of Nortons and I have Comcast also for my ISP. I would suggest using either MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) or Avast.
Both are free and a lot less stressful on your system resources. This could cause slowing down with system performance. Avast is free to the Home user and you only have to register it once a year. My Avast updates at least twice a day so it does really good. I have been running it for the past 3 years and have had no infections in all this time.

Jfenz

Jfenz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for your advise. I'll be looking into those suggestions when my current problem is resolved.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Better Antivirus than Norton?

Any Antivirus is better than Norton.

It is almost as hard to uninstall as IoBit Advanced System Care, and that is saying something -
Make sure that you use the full Norton uninstall program to remove all traces of it.

MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is miles above Norton as a standard Antivirus program.
I have used this since it was released and only ever had one problem, that was fixed on the M/soft Forum -

Regards -