Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is this a decent MB ?

• Please log in to reply

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
i'm looking to build an updated PC, on a tight budget.

by updated, i mean something newer than my 8 year old PC, and something that can run a newer version of windows. preferably windows 7. plus something that will run the newer technology, CPU's, RAM.

i found this MB....

http://www.newegg.co...k=ASRock N68C-S

and i am wondering if it would be a decent board to go with ??

i'm not a gamer. to old for that stuff. i spend most of my time on ebay, craigslist, forums, paying bills, surfing for information.

what are your opinions of this board ??

thanks,
ron

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi SKOOTERBUM
The truth is you get what you pay for, take the time to read the feedback at Newegg and I think you will decide for yourself if the board is right for you.

Check the MBs QVL (qualified vendors list) this will help you choose a compatible CPU and Ram http://www.asrock.co...=Specifications t

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The question is really impossible to answer.
As it can only really be answered when you tell us, what processor you are going to use, what ram, what case you are putting it in, what PSU. etc.

My only note of caution is, think carefully before you embark on a build.
It is NOT particularly complex, but it is a bit fiddly for want of a better word and in a number of aspects, nimble fingers are required.
I am NOT for one moment of time saying that you cannot do it.

But, one wrong move when inserting the CPU into its socket and it may well be a ruined motherboard or a ruined CPU when you power on, or indeed both.
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

NOTE
My post amended.
My colleague has dealt with the actual issue of the board.

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
well, i read up on all the feedback / ratings i could find on that motherboard, and i decided that it might be a problematic board, and not very durable. with my lack of knowledge, i feel it wouldn't be a good start for me.

i got a line on this motherboard.....

http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3953#ov

I've read the reviews on this one, and it has much better feedback / reviews, with a good warranty. plus the sale price is still reasonable for me.

please express any thoughts you might have on this board, as i will wait for a couple days before i purchase one, to be sure there are no negative issues known about it on this forum.

thank you for the links to the information that i needed to read through, to have the best possible results with this venture.

thanks Macboatmaster, for your thoughts on me building my own system. i totally agree with your warnings, and understand them. I've been inside the last 3 PC's I've owned, and have removed / replaced most of the components. luckily, i didn't damage anything. so i am comfortable with the idea of doing my own build. although i still have a lot to learn about them. and yes, i would be very disappointed if i ruined any of the new components.....

thank you for the link to the "how to build a PC" !! it will be very useful information that i will take full advantage of.

if i don't get any negative feedback on this other motherboard, i will get started with it.

i think i should start a new post in the "system building and upgrading section" and ask any further questions there. which i know there will be plenty of...LOL

thanks guys !!!
ron

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No need to start a new topic in system building as this is where you are now.
I moved it from XP please just continue here

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

thank you Macboatmaster !!

i plan on using my NEW, "old version HD, and 480w PSU". this will require me to use the "cable adapters" to be able to connect these old version devices on my new system. are there any recomendations as to which connectors are more reliable for this ??

ron

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

thank you Macboatmaster !!

i plan on using my NEW, "old version HD, and 480w PSU". this will require me to use the "cable adapters" to be able to connect these old version devices on my new system. are there any recomendations as to which connectors are more reliable for this ??

ron

Please provide a link to the place of your intended purchase, also please read my canned speech regarding the implications of a fitting a new MB and your present OS (operating system) licence;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition (which is not installed on another system) you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
thanks for the heads up phillpower2 !! i had no idea that it worked that way. yes i was planning to run my old OS, untill i had the funds to buy windows-7. i can understand microsoft wanting to keep the OS licensing to one owner, but i feel it's a bit unfair not to allow it to run on another pc if the original one dies, as long as it's still with the original owner. probably to hard for microsoft to verify the component changes, and ownership.

anyways that's a ways down the road, and it will just take me a bit longer to finish the build.

i do appreciate you letting me know that though !!

the cable connectors / adapters that i am asking about, are available at a lot of different places. there are many varieties listed on ebay, and many different online PC supply stores. here are some that i am considering.....

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

these last two "thermaltake" connectors, look almost exactly alike, with a big cost difference. could there be any big differences between these ?? if so, what would they be ??

eventualy, i will update all of the parts in this computer build, but since i am on a fixed income, it is going to take me some time to get it all done.

there will be long delays between my questions, as i will be saving the money to be able to make the next component purchase, and asking my questions before the purchase, to help me to make the best choice for my needs.

right now i am working on getting my NEW old style power supply to adapt to the new style device connections. i need to figure out the parts needed to make all of these connections, then i'll be able to determin if it's worth going this route, or if it's going to cost about as much as a new power supply would cost.

i know all of this is just making things much harder than they need to be, but i am learning something from every part of it. so it's not a lot of wasted time and effort for me. it's just a hard way to learn...LOL

thanks,
ron

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Ron
Please provide us with your present PSU (brand and model)details so we can do some research to be better/able to advise you.

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i went ahead and purchased the gigabyte GA-H61M-S2H (rev. 1.2) motherboard from my local PC store. if it malfunctions, it will be easier to deal with any warranty work through them. plus they help answer some of my questions too. also, they are the builders of my first PC that lasted for almost 9 years, with minimal trouble.

my NEW old style power supply, is a dual fan cooling high quality P4 power supply. model WT 480. max power output is 480W.

output: +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSb
max(A): 28A 36A 16A 0.8A 0.5A 2A

AC Input: 100V-127V/6A 60Hz

i see that this PSU is about 3 years old from it's manufacture date. 1 year older than i originally thought. it must have sat on the shelf for 1 year before i got it, because I'm pretty sure I've only had it for 2 years. this one replaced the original PSU in my old PC that lasted 7 years.

i have no idea what the average life span is on these units.

i just located my PSU online, and see in the specifications that it has a 20 and 24 pin connector ??

http://www.newpowers...480-pr-749.html

how does that work ?? the 24 pin connector is one solid piece. does one end of it overlap / hang over the 20 pin plug on my new MB ??

also i see that it has 1 sata connector. would i be able to plug an extension into it with multiple sata connectors coming off of that connector ??

what are your thoughts ??

ron

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

how does that work ?? the 24 pin connector is one solid piece. does one end of it overlap / hang over the 20 pin plug on my new MB ??

That is correct, if the unused 4 pins do not seperate from the main 20 pin block just allow them to sit outside the connection/socket.

also i see that it has 1 sata connector. would i be able to plug an extension into it with multiple sata connectors coming off of that connector ??

You can use a molex to sata adapter http://www.google.co...iw=1259&bih=716

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Unless I read it incorrectly, which I do not think I have
Your motherboard
  • 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
  • 1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
  • 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors
  • 1 x CPU fan header
  • 1 x system fan header
  • 1 x front panel header
  • 1 x front panel audio header
  • 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers
  • 1 x serial port header
  • 1 x clearing CMOS jumper
Also I realise the convenience of your local PC Store, and they may be excellent but just be careful you do not pay way over the odds.
Average price on that board is $57 to $69

Bear in mind that the CPU for a mid range option is likely to cost approx 3 times the price of the board.
http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3953

and then of course there is the DDR3 ram.

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Unless I read it incorrectly, which I do not think I have
Your motherboard

• 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
  • 1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
  • 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors
  • 1 x CPU fan header
  • 1 x system fan header
  • 1 x front panel header
  • 1 x front panel audio header
  • 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers
  • 1 x serial port header
  • 1 x clearing CMOS jumper
Also I realise the convenience of your local PC Store, and they may be excellent but just be careful you do not pay way over the odds.
Average price on that board is $57 to $69

Bear in mind that the CPU for a mid range option is likely to cost approx 3 times the price of the board.
http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3953

and then of course there is the DDR3 ram.

yes you are correct on all points Macboatmaster !!

i paid $80 for the new MB. but i have always been willing to support my local businesses, if i feel they will go the extra mile for me, and this one has. i don't spend all my money there, just enough to keep everyone happy.

I've printed all the information i could find on my new MB. so i have that information, the information that came with the new MB, and the information from my old MB. so i think i will be able to get all of the power / electrical connections properly routed, and connected to the new MB. i may have some questions on the jumpers. we'll see when i get to them.

i just found that the new MB has a 24 pin female connector, rather than the 20 that i previously mentioned. i also discovered that my NEW old style PSU has a 4 pin plug that connects to it's 20 pin male plug to connect to the 24 pin plug on my MB. so that worked out great !!

i am also hoping to use the old style HD, CD, and DVD player. so my PCU's power supply connectors will work for those items too.

right now i am working on finding a good product to be able to connect my new SATA cables to my old PATA components. a SATA to PATA adapter. my searches have only confused me. i read up on the difference between the PATA and SATA technology. SATA is a big improvement over the older PATA systems. once i find these adapters for this application, and know what the cost will be for them, i will then decide if i want to go that route, or wait a bit longer until i get the extra money saved to buy new components instead.

phillpower2, sorry if i wasted your time with the Molex connectors, i didn't mean too. i had parts in my working computer, that were to go into my new PC. between looking inside my working system, then looking at the new MB, i got things mixed up. so to keep from confusing myself, and giving you guys bad information, i removed the parts from my working computer, and put them into my new PC today. i now will know what i am talking about, and will be able to ask more specific questions. i apologize for the confusion.....

a question about the CPU heat sinks, and cooling fan "mounting brackets". i have one from a socket 478 CPU assembly. it's the wrong size for this new MB. are they like a one size fits all ?? my MB calls for a LGA 1155 socket CPU. will any mounting brackets for this type CPU socket work ?? or are they different sizes and shapes ?? obviously the mounting holes will be the same, as determined by the MB. I'm just wondering, because i can't mount, or attach anything permanent to my MB, until i get the CPU mounting bracket mounted to the back side of the board.

i have a feeling, the answer will determine my next big purchase.....

thanks for your understanding guys, and for being so patient with a newbie like me !!!!!!!

ron

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Well covered on the 24 pin power connection Macboatmaster (Im glad I mentioned the 20 pin + 4 pin scenario :whistling: )

phillpower2, sorry if i wasted your time with the Molex connectors,

You didn`t Ron helping you get the job done is what matters.

my MB calls for a LGA 1155 socket CPU. will any mounting brackets for this type CPU socket work ??

Purchase a CPU that is bundled with the correct heatsink and cooling fan for the best results, don`t forget to budget for some TIM, see the tutorial provided courtesy of Digerati http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

my MB calls for a LGA 1155 socket CPU. will any mounting brackets for this type CPU socket work

I just think you may be slightly confused. OR you KNOW and is the way I have read your question.

As my colleague has said, purchase the CPU with the cooler, as a package.

HOWEVER in an attempt to help you, just in case, you are looking at this the wrong way

The CPU itself is nothing to do with the mounting of the cooler.
The mounting is ON the motherboard and the 478 WILL NOT fit it is totally different
478 cooler
[attachment=56237:41yPanPFVgL__SL500_AA300_.jpg]

1155 cooler
[attachment=56238:$(KGrHqN,!g8E8fZJ49+yBPN8FM0S-w~~60_35.jpg]
the projections on the base fit your motherboard

BUT as my colleague said buy the package and then you will not have a problem.
YOU install the CPU and the cooler BEFORE you install the motherboard in the case.

The CPU itself looks like this
[attachment=56233:processorkeying.jpg]
and here is the guide, but there will also be a guide in the motherboard manual albeit brief and when you buy it in the CPU package
http://www.intel.com...b/CS-032258.htm

and here is another guide for you with better images
http://www.intel.com...b/CS-030850.htm