Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

is this a decent MB ?

• Please log in to reply

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
thank you very much guys for your help !!

yes, i was somewhat confused on the CPU, COOLER, MOUNTING ASSEMBLY. you have helped me to understand it now, and i will do as suggested, and purchase a bundled CPU. which will solve that part of my build.

also, thanks for the links to the different information !! i will take full advantage of them !!

as i was predicting, the BUNDLED CPU will be my next major purchase. i will read through all of the information i have referencing the compatible CPU's for this board. see what i can find and learn from my online searches. then i will post my questions, so you can see what i am thinking, and guide me to the right direction / purchase for my needs.

Advertisements

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i got all of my front panel device wires connected to my new MB. that was pretty easy to get figured out.

i have 2 questions to ask.....

1st- where do i want to place my case fan ?? i have read where some people have it in front of there HD's.

my MB has 2 fan headers. one is for the CPU. the other is for a case fan..

my PSU has 2 fans. one fan on the bottom, and the other at the back.

so i will have the 2 fans in my PSU, 1 fan on the CPU, and the option to ad another case fan. where do i want to place this fan for optimum cooling ?? in front of my HD, or at the back, below my PSU ??

2nd- can, or does the processor determine what type of RAM i would use ?? or reverse, can, or does the RAM determine what type of processor i would use ??

reason i am asking is, sometimes there are very good deals on used RAM on ebay and craigslist. i'm still not sure what type RAM i need, or want for my system. i am worried that i could buy some RAM for cheap, and then have it not be compatible with the CPU that i want to run.

i have little knowledge of the differences from one processor to the next. i printed the links that list the compatible CPU's and RAM, for this MB, but they make little sense to me.....

here is the available information for this MB.....

http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3953

http://download.giga...1m-s2h_v1.2.pdf

i found this comparison chart, which lists the Intel Pentium G630 2.7 processor at the top of the list. is this telling me that this processor is about the best of all that are listed ?? it sells for around $80 which isn't to bad, if it's a good CPU.

http://www.cpubenchm...range_cpus.html

what do you guys think ??

if i commit to this processor, then what would be a good choice for my RAM ?? do i want dual channel memory ??

here is more information on the memory that this MB supports.......

1.2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
* Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
2.Dual channel memory architecture
3.Support for DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
4.Support for non-ECC memory modules

thanks,
ron

Edited by SKOOTERBUM, 22 February 2012 - 12:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

1st- where do i want to place my case fan ?? i have read where some people have it in front of there HD's

For the best cooling one in the front for drawing in cool clean air and one at the rear of the case to exhaust the hot air.
Your case and PSU will determine your cooling fan options but the above is achievable if you use the system fan header on the MB for one fan and a power supply direct from the PSU to supply the other, a 4 pin molex to fan adapter may be required for this (this is not expensive to do)

2nd- can, or does the processor determine what type of RAM i would use ?? or reverse, can, or does the RAM determine what type of processor i would use ??

Not directly no the MB does, however the Ram and CPU must be compatible with each other, the MB and the BIOS, there are MBs that will accept different types of DDR Ram.

For the best and most reliable Ram choose Ram listed on the MBs QVL to avoid possible meltdown and heartache and avoid purchasing from ebay for the same reasons.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think you may benefit from a check

1. I presume you have installed the motherboard in the case, as you talk about having connected to the front panel header for your POWER switch, reset swtich, pwr led hdd led, etc.

Have you ensured that the stand - offs are in the correct place for the motherboard, these are the small usually brass coloured posts that you screw onto the motherboard plate.
You then secure the motherboard, to these stand-offs
ONE in the wrong place MAY have disasterous results, as soon as you apply power

With the motherboard should have been an I/O plate for the case - have you installed that

2. That motherboard has NO IDE (PATA) connection it has four SATA, so although the power connection to the drives, if your HDD and optical drives are IDE, is not a problem as previously explained by my colleague.
The actual drive connection to the motherboard MAY be not quite so simple.
Have you considered this.

3. Not of importance now as you do not yet have the CPU, but do not forget the CPU power.

Finally you would have been better waiting until you were in this position - from the guide I sent you a link to

Update to the Quick Note: Lately I have been installing the CPU, CPU heatsink, and RAM into the motherboard before putting the motherboard into the case. I find it much easier to work on by itself. As I've said above, either way works...

1. Gather all Components

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
thanks for the replies guys !! it helps me a lot, to get different views and suggestions, as mine are usually wrong with these PC's !!

phillpower2, your suggestion on the system / case fans is great !! my PSU has 1, 4 pin 12v plug that goes to the MB, if i have it figured correctly. then the MB has 1, 4 pin header for the CPU fan, and 1, 4 pin header for a case / system fan. where would be the best place to attach a Molex adapter to feed 2 case fans ?? my guess is at the PSU 4 pin plug to the MB connection.

please advise.....

so as long as my purchase of a CPU and RAM, is listed on the MB's QVL, then i should be ok ??

my MB only supports type DDR3 RAM, and it supports dual channel technology. i am not familiar with this dual channel technology, is this worth setting up on a home PC that is not used for gaming, but does store a lot of pictures ??

this CPU, Intel Pentium G630 2.7 processor, is rated at the higher end of the mid range CPU's, so i think i will be going with it.

Macboatmaster, i understand and respect everything you suggest !! in hooking up my front panel devices, i was only seeing if i could figure it out, or would need any help with the placement of the wires. since they are only a compression fit connection, i didn't see any harm fitting them into place to verify proper placement, knowing i will be removing them again to install the CPU. you've taught me that the least amount of pressure, movement / handling of the motherboard, the better off i will be. which is why i haven't made a solid connection with the 24 pin plug, or any other clamp type plugs to the MB.

yes i did set the 6 standoffs in the proper position, and the 6 mounting screws are barely ran down to the MB, and the I/O plate is in position.

I'm working on collecting all of the parts before i make any solid connections to the board, as advised by you, and the link you referred me to.

I've been thinking about using my newer, old style HD and CD / DVD player with this board. after doing some price checking, i decided that i will at least buy a new HD with the SATA connection to take full advantage of the newer SATA interface speeds. i haven't checked on any prices for the players yet, but I'm liable to do the same, and buy a new CD / DVD player too.

adding up the cost for all of the PATA to SATA adapters i would need, i found it would almost pay for a new small SATA HD.

so rather than buying 3 adapters for the cables, i will be buying 1 or 2 adapters for the power connectors.

Macboatmaster, in your previous post you mention not to forget the CPU power. I'm somewhat confused by this. what power is needed for the CPU ?? isn't the only power going to the CPU assembly for the fan ?? or am i missing something here too ??

thanks for your help guys !!!

ron

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Macboatmaster, in your previous post you mention not to forget the CPU power. I'm somewhat confused by this. what power is needed for the CPU

My post 12 refers.
Try top left corner, just inside of the I/O where the mouse and keyboard connect

OR with respect - read the motherboard manual

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Macboatmaster, i think you are refering to the 4 pin ATX 12v header at the top left corner of the MB. yes i just found where my MB manual states that this is what powers the CPU, as well as the rest of the MB, if i understand correctly.

if i am making the correct PSU to MB connection, my PSU has the 4 pin plug that connects to this MB 4 pin header, which will supply the power to the CPU. my PSU has only one of these type connectors, so i am pretty sure it is the right one for this header.

i had no idea, (obviously), that this powered the CPU. another lesson learned, which i am thankful for !!

yesterday, i purchased 2 case fans. i mounted one at the back, right below the PSU. these fans came with power lead extentions / plug adapters. so this fan will be connecting into one of the larger 4 pin, device, power supply plugs from the PSU. the second fan i mounted at the front of my case, and it will plug into the MB system fan header. does this sound like a good setup to you ??

also, i spoke with 2 salesmen to get there views about my choice of a CPU. they both suggested i go with a newer style "Intel Core i" type processor. they said that these processors are a BIG improvement over the older style Pentium, Celeron processors. did they give me accurate information, or were they trying to boost there sales ?? one of them suggested i watch Newegg, because they run sales on there products regularly.

thanks,
ron

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

yesterday, i purchased 2 case fans. i mounted one at the back, right below the PSU. these fans came with power lead extentions / plug adapters. so this fan will be connecting into one of the larger 4 pin, device, power supply plugs from the PSU. the second fan i mounted at the front of my case, and it will plug into the MB system fan header. does this sound like a good setup to you ??

As per my post #18

1st- where do i want to place my case fan ?? i have read where some people have it in front of there HD's

For the best cooling one in the front for drawing in cool clean air and one at the rear of the case to exhaust the hot air.
Your case and PSU will determine your cooling fan options but the above is achievable if you use the system fan header on the MB for one fan and a power supply direct from the PSU to supply the other, a 4 pin molex to fan adapter may be required for this (this is not expensive to do)

also, i spoke with 2 salesmen to get there views about my choice of a CPU. they both suggested i go with a newer style "Intel Core i" type processor. they said that these processors are a BIG improvement over the older style Pentium, Celeron processors. did they give me accurate information, or were they trying to boost there sales ?? one of them suggested i watch Newegg, because they run sales on there products regularly.

The advice you received is correct, the i5 2500k Sandy Bridge is an outstanding CPU and Newegg often have promotions on these, your intended use of the new set-up will determine what would be the best CPU for you.
Just a reminder of what colleague Macboatmaster advised back in post #12;

Bear in mind that the CPU for a mid range option is likely to cost approx 3 times the price of the board.

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Macboatmaster, i'm waiting on the last of my ordered parts to be delivered any day now. i purchased 2 Kingston 4GB 10600 240 pin RAM. an Intel Core i3-2120 sandy bridge 3.3GHz 1155 65W Dual Core CPU. A card reader, Sony Optiarc DVD/CD-Rewritable Drive, Windows 7 Premium 64 bit OS, and a WD Caviar Blue 320GB HD. i also pulled a 6 port USB card from one of my old systems. that should supply me with all the USB ports i would ever need.

I'm hoping all of this works together as planned. i know if it does, that this old system won't get much use any more !! LOL there's a good chance that i will try parting out both of these old PC's after i feel like my new one will be problem free.

what's your thoughts on my parts list ?? i don't know if i made good all around choices or not ??

ron

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i got this system assembled and running. boy i can see a big difference already !!

now I'm wanting to take advantage of some of the options on this sytem.....

first, i have 2 sticks of Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G RAM installed. it is the dual channel RAM.

how do i check to see if my system is already set up and running dual channel mode ??

if it isn't, how do i enable the dual channel option ??

i knew this system would be a big improvement over what i have been using.......but it's turned out to be a REALLY BIG IMPROVEMENT !!

thanks,
ron

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See this and then you will find all you need to know about dual channel
http://www.hardwares...itectures/133/5

It is not the ram itself which is dual channel. It is the architecture of the memory bus on the board.

You I think ONLY have two memory slots both coloured blue, so I can assure you that with the two exactly matched sticks of ram you are running in dual channel
Effectively that means that the memory controller uses the 64 bit transfer of information from each stick across the memory bus using each stick at the same time resulting in 128 bits.

You will effectively in real terms see no difference in speed.

If you had four slots just as an example two may be coloured blue and two back (there are other colours used.) You populate the same colour.
So if you had only two sticks of ram with four slots, you would populate, the same two colour slots.
Your motherboard manual would tell you if that was the two blue or the two black.
The reason being that the slots are usually but not always numbered DDR2 - for instance if it took DDR2 ram and then 1, 2, 3, and 4.
1 and 2 would be blue for example and 3 and 4 black
Then if you only had the two sticks you would insert them in 1 and 2.
BUT THE overriding rule is the same colour.

You cannot always rely on the numbering configuration being as I have listed, indeed they may not always be numbered 1, 2,3 and 4 from the processor and on some motherboards 1 and 2 will be ONE channel and 3 and 4 the other channel.
So there you would populate 1 and 3.. AGAIN nowadays it is always the colour.
All only really because I know you like to learn more.
As I said, you only have two slots and they are both blue, rest easy you are running in dual channel.

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Macboatmaster, thank you for your help and explanations !! i do read the information from the links you refer me to as well. just want you to know your input is being used and appreciated !!

thanks for teaching me about how dual channel works !!

I've been working on 6 PC's i got for cheap. I've got 4 of them working fairly well. one doesn't want to recognize the H_D on startup though. i hope to get them working reliably, and sell them for a small profit. we'll see....

again thanks for all of your help !!

ron