Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2hr Chkdsk leads to inaccessible Desktop

• Please log in to reply

hmp3

hmp3

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Hello, I've experienced both a Comodo-related disaster, followed by a Vista ChkDsk disaster. I've tried my best to explain everything below. Please Note: Logs are attached to this post. I've posted details about my System Specs in my profile.

1. Comodo Nightmare (Resolved): I constantly had a BSOD related to Comodo, two minutes after booting to desktop, so I uninstalled it.

2. Chkdsk Nightmare (CRITICAL):

A). Accessible State (Pre-Checkdisk)

Symptoms: SFC runs but won't fix the errors. Despite many reinstalls, Comodo won't run a diagnostics test successfully, and won't list or fix the problems.

*In regedit, my dskchk value has this value:

"autocheck autochk /r \??\Q:
lsdelete
OODBS"

Troubleshooting: Cleaned system using Comodo system cleaner, ccleaner, malware bytes and Ad-Aware successfully.

B). Chkdsk Highlights:
"File 9: corrupt attribute: 128"
... "Deleting an index entry ChkAcc.bak in index $130 of file 55"
... "Deleting an index entry (20 minutes worth of 4 to 6 digit numbers) with ID from index $SII *and* $SDH of file 9"
... "Replacing invalid security id with default security id (2 hours worth of 4 to 6 digit numbers)"

C). Post Chkdsk State (Inaccessible Desktop):

Symptoms:

Vista boots up to the point where I see a moveable cursor in front of a black screen. Hard Drive continues acting as though it's loading something for about 15seconds. Then absolutely nothing happens. Ctrl+Alt+Del or inserting a CD does nothing.

Troubleshooting:

Safe Mode (with or without Command Prompt, Networking): Hangs after loading crcdisk.sys.
All other advanced boot options: Hangs when reaches cursor upon black screen then hangs.

Vista cd's Startup Repair doesn't resolve issues.
Also in Vista cd's Startup repair's command prompt;
system restore loads, but there are no points (as a result of the comodo nightmare)
sfc /scannow, msconfig, and chkdsk /f /r won't run ('because the drive is read-only').

***PLEASE NOTE: I've Created Acronis Drive backups for both pre & post chkdsk Vista drive states. I also have a healthy Vista drive backup 1 year old (I restored it 3 hours ago to make sure it works on the same HDD that I have my corrupted Vista on), but it's too out of date and I don't want to go through the manual process of deciphering correct locations for to restore program files and settings to their rightful folders.

****I've zipped and attached the SFC log to this post, but I don't have a Chkdsk log as it was done outside of vista.

MY WISH:

Armed with my system state backups, I would like to fix the problem from either end, so that I can have a healthy accessible Vista.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I COMMIT VIRTUAL SUICIDE
Attached Files
File Type: zip CBS.zip (363.0 KB, 0 views)

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   363.01KB   101 downloads

Edited by harvestthesouls, 17 February 2012 - 06:46 AM.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
UPDATE: I've successfully run Active Hard Disk Monitor(free) tests & SeaTools HDD tests.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

UPDATE: I've successfully run Active Hard Disk Monitor(free) tests & SeaTools HDD tests.

Okay, so where do you stand now? Did SeaTools find any errors? Note that chkdsk can take many hours, even overnight and longer with large disks.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
No change in system status, I was just using that test to confirm that my HDD is not the cause of the issue.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Since a startup repair didn't work, and neither did SFC and all the other stuff you tried, it looks like a complete reinstall is required.

Note for your chkdsk and your drive, if me, I would pull the drive and install it as a secondary (not boot) drive in another computer, or in an enclosure attached to another computer, then run chkdsk /r from there. Note you don't need /f as that is implied with /r. If it does not pass chkdsk when run from the second computer, then it might be time to get a new drive.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
harvestthesouls

Is this
topic on the same computer please, as the topic here

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

on which I am working with you

and the one here, where Ztruker is working with you.
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to let everyone know I have requested that harvestthesouls go through malware inspection since MSE found infections per the topic Mac is helping with. This may be the root of all the issues and I suggest everyone stop because duplicating instructions are being given which is wasting time. Until malware inspection is done I suggest everyone stop with assistance.