Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata drivers

• Please log in to reply

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Yeah, theres loads. One small one that just does drives is HDTach, download it from here :
http://www.majorgeek...ownload672.html

This is a shareware program so the write test is disabled but you can read test with it. Remember to click the 'large drive check' if its asks you (This version may not, I can't remember)

View Post

OK thx for prog here are screenies I would think that the avg read time would be hight no? since its an sata drive i thought read times would be on way higher than that since supposly its 150mb transfer rate :tazz: btw i did the 32mb test

Attached Thumbnails

• hd_results.JPG
  • hd_results_2.JPG

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In the second pic, there are values for 2 drives (red & blue). Which one is your drive?

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

In the second pic, there are values for 2 drives (red & blue). Which one is your drive?

View Post

red sorry for not stating so

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok well I fail to see a major problem to be honest. The burst speed is not too bad, nor is the sequential read speed. remember that the sequential speed is never going to be close to the drives rated transfer speed of 150MB/s. This rating is the max burst (peak) speed, not the sustainable speed.

Also bear in mind, that you are testing a drive that contains the windows installation. This always affects the read speeds slightly because of the number and size of files held on the drive. Also, drive fragmentation will slow the speed down.

Maybe your drop in performance during gaming is due to something other than the drive or its controller.

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanx Samm really apreciate your input and help for everyone here very knowledgeable.iVe posted in other fourms and people always seem not to care or post or willing to help out.. this forum seems very active.. also I see alot of people in diff forums have alot of issues with s-ata drives OK I am thinkin of gettin another drive same as this one later if i enable ide\raid function i s hould be able to get it to work correct?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
unfortunately you cant just add a second sata drive and turn on the raid function, at least not if you want to keep the data currently on your drive.

to set up a raid, be it raid 0 (striping) for speed, or raid 1 (mirror) for data integrity/ fault protection, the drives get wiped as they are formatted for the raid.

if your board has seperate sata raid connectors, in addition to standard sata connectors, then you could keep your current drive as your system drive, and set up 2 other drives in a raid 0 for all your data, applications, etc.

the other option is to just install a second sata drive, and do the same type of thing, use the C drive for the system files, and the second drive for apps, data, etc. this is a pretty good way to go in my opinion, since you get a fair degree of protection (if C drive crashes, you have to reinstall windows, but your data is safe on the other drive) and a bit of a speed increase.

hope that helps.

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

unfortunately you cant just add a second sata drive and turn on the raid function, at least not if you want to keep the data currently on your drive.

to set up a raid, be it raid 0 (striping) for speed, or raid 1 (mirror) for data integrity/ fault protection, the drives get wiped as they are formatted for the raid.

if your board has seperate sata raid connectors, in addition to standard sata connectors, then you could keep your current drive as your system drive, and set up 2 other drives in a raid 0 for all your data, applications, etc.

the other option is to just install a second sata drive, and do the same type of thing, use the C drive for the system files, and the second drive for apps, data, etc.  this is a pretty good way to go in my opinion, since you get a fair degree of protection (if C drive crashes, you have to reinstall windows, but your data is safe on the other drive) and a bit of a speed increase.

hope that helps.

View Post

Thx Audio man I am loving these boards more and more poeple friend and willing to help as my datat on my comp right ow i really dont care if i have to wipe the drives in order to get set up for raid 0/1 my I just got my comp like few weeks ago and dont have nothing important installed jsut unreal tournament 2k4 which i can reisntall no problem oh and well I have sisfoft sandra and 3dmark those aint biggies dont care as long as i get it set up for raid its kool I will sure hit you up beforeactually installing drive so i can know what to do and reduce chances on me running into problems later during installation :tazz: ;)

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Thx Audio man I am loving these boards more and more poeple friend and willing to help as my datat on my comp right  ow i really dont care if i have to wipe the drives in order to get set up for raid 0/1 my I just got my comp  like few weeks ago and dont have nothing important installed jsut unreal tournament 2k4 which i can reisntall  no problem oh and well I have sisfoft sandra and 3dmark those aint biggies dont care as long as i get it set up for raid its kool I will sure hit you  up beforeactually installing drive so i can know what to do and reduce chances on me running into problems later during installation  :tazz:  :ph34r:

View Post

You need a good dose of this http://www.geekstogo...ocking-f27.html

;)

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

You need a good dose of this http://www.geekstogo...ocking-f27.html

;)

View Post

Well my sys right now is oc'd to 2.5ghz on stock coolin have an amd 3500+ and I also have a 6600gt oc version Overclocked even more to 550 core \ 1100 mem :ph34r:

Thx for link to will sure check em out :tazz:

Edited by Pa1n, 03 June 2005 - 07:45 PM.

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK guys the funny thing is from doing a lil research it turns out that the sata cable was on in the wrong slot.. it was on sata 2, I then moved it to sata just for the heck of it and what do u know once windows starts up it asked me for drivers for an "unknown" device" so I was thinkin....hmm mmmm I then put the nvraid f6 disk and voila it started installing the drivers I was like What the...... then I restarted and I set boot priority to bootable add in cards like it was b-4 and then proceeded to enable ide/sata raid function and waited.... I was amazed windows loaded and I was not stuck like before were if i set those options (default) windows wouldnt load. Any ideas on What the... just happend lol. Here is a Screenie of device Manager now.

Aslo today my new hard drive is arriving so I can setup a raid 0 array ... will I have to format*** my my current drive then setup the raid then install windows.. or in which order does that go? :tazz:

Attached Thumbnails

• fixed.JPG

Edited by Pa1n, 08 June 2005 - 09:11 AM.

Advertisements

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
if you only have 1 hdd on sata you have to connect it to 1 first.. it wont boot a single drive on sata 2......... also if you do a new setup with 2 hdd's the sata setup manager will format the hdd's..

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

if you only have 1 hdd on sata you have to connect it to 1 first.. it wont boot a single drive on sata 2......... also if you do a new setup with 2 hdd's the sata setup manager will format the hdd's..

View Post

Currently my comp has 1 sata hd, later today my ohter same model hd sata drive will arrive so in what steps do I go about setting up a raid

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
you have to enter into your sata config utility on the motherboard configure the drives as you desire then boot from your windows disc....

if you dont know what to do after that ask back..

Pa1n

Pa1n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

you have to enter into your sata config utility on the motherboard configure the drives as you desire then boot from your windows disc....

if you dont know what to do after that ask back..

View Post

kthx :tazz:

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
you're welcome .......