Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot due to Hardware change

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thank you
as per my 14

Will wait to hear from you

Advertisements

caitiebugg87

caitiebugg87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry it took so long for a response.

I plugged it into my sisters monitor, and it still doesn't work...just does the same thing it does when plugged into my monitor. :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will have to read it all again now.
Worked on so many since my post 14.

Will post by 1800hrs now 0022

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. TRY THIS PLEASE
  • Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.
  • Do the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer..
  • On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)
  • Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.
  • Try firstly startup repair - run this THREE times.
  • If that does not succeed try a system restore to the date before this last crash on the power cut.
  • If that does not work select command prompt
  • POST back please if you reach that stage with any reults.

2. IF you do NOT have those options on F8 then presumably you have the Windows 7 DVD

If you have the windows 7 DVD insert that and follow the prompts to get to Repair Your Computer
You insert the DVD botting from that, either by Press any key to booit from CD or on the post screen Boot options and then choose CD, or by entering BIOS setup as indicated on post screen and cahnging boot priority to make CD first boot device.
Entering setup is normally F2 or Delete but watch the post screen.
If you have to enter BIOS to change then save and exit BIOS is normally F10

Choose the language etc and then on the next screen DO NOT click enter to setup windows but choose Repair your computer on the left hand corner of the window, by clicking on it.

It will examine the computer for windows installations
If it finds Windows a new window will open listing the installations and you click on the installation to select it.

Here is a guide to help you
http://windows.micro...ns-in-Windows-7

After clicking on that and then clicking NEXT you will then see a new window and may be offered the opportunity to use a system restore point. Before this it willl attempt to automatically check and try to remedy whatever is preventing the computer from starting

If you are offered the option of restore try that.

If that fails a new window will open and you select View Advanced Options

You then choose a command prompt
at the command prompt window will be the entry
X:\Sources>
type

bcdedit | find "osdevice"

and key enter.

If you reach this stage post back.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
caitiebugg87

As it is now some 10 days since the last post on your topic I wondered how you have progressed.
Would you kindly update the thread when you have chance,.

caitiebugg87

caitiebugg87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry I had given up on my computer for awhile, then someone at work looked at it for me. The RAM was loose, and now it works just fine.

Thanks for the help :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for posting
Pleased you got it fixed.