Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external HDD issue

• Please log in to reply

banky41

banky41

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
hoping someone can help me with a little issue. I have a Western Digital external HD I believe it is a 750GB. it shows up in My Computer and when I click in properties it says it is full. yet I cannot see what is on the drive, the only options I have are (Extras, User Manuals and WD Smartware). I am positive it is not full.

thank you in advance for the help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi banky41

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool; http://www.tacktech....fm?ttid=287#wdc
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

Let us know how you get on.

banky41

banky41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
so after a restart I was able to get into the folders on my drive. also, it was not showing up as full. not sure if i had changed the USB that I was using and that caused it.

thank you for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi banky41
Thanks for the update - I am happy to hear things are now sorted.
Can I ask did you run the HDDs diagnostic tool and if so what was the result!

banky41

banky41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I did not. I did run the windows one and all looked good. it said a defrag was not needed. I can run that if you think it will help my computer at all. it is running very slowly.

thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
We can come back to the HDD later as part of improving your systems performance.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

banky41

banky41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
hey Phil, I followed the link to the pc pit stop site. I, for the life of me cannot find the "Free Computer check up" listed below over drive. if you could advise on that I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Derek

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Derek
Did you create a free account and then log in, you need to do this before you can scan your computer ( see .jpeg )

banky41

banky41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
got it. here is the url for the results

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24816430

thank you very much for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the url :thumbsup:
You have both Avast and Norton showing on your software list - not a good idea as it can cause instability and actually leave your PC open to malware attack, use the proper Norton uninstaller to avoid any traces being left behind https://www-secure.s...redirect_pubweb some more AV information courtesy of Admin - please read it http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

With the exception of the printer drivers** please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this.

**Unless you are having any issues with the printer I suggest leaving the driver update alone as not all driver updates actually improve anything and can actually cause you problems, you should however update your flash player.

Advertisements

banky41

banky41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
thanks, I will get started on that.

I am actually having issues with the printer. about a month ago it started saying I did not have the correct ink in it. I had not changed the ink recently or anything like that either.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Keep us posted on your progress.

banky41

banky41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
thank for all the help.

do you think I should try to up date the printer driver since I am having an issue with it?

I will hopefully be buying a new machine in the next couple weeks and be giving this one to the kids.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Do all the other fixes first please then post back, once the PC is sorted we can address your printer.

banky41

banky41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
so I am having a another issue with an external HDD. I just bought a new computer, and a 2TB Western Digital external hard drive. when I plug the HD in it does not show up in MY COMPUTER. I can see it in the hardware management as a Mass USB Storage device.

my computer is a Windows 7 64.

thanks