Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help installing video card in new emachine

• Please log in to reply

sweets

sweets

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

I just got a new desktop PC due to my old computer's hard drive dying. I took out my newly bought video card out of my old PC...GeForce FX 5200 AGP-128MB- and inserted it in my new PC. I didn't find any other video card in my new Emachine PC so I just put my GeForce in the AGP slot.

I turned on the computer..the screen was just black. Nothing happened. I heard my windows opening though w/ the welcome music..so my computer is definitely fine. So took it back out ,and I tried uninstalling my current card under 'control panel'. I put it in again and the screen was just blank.

and yes, my computer was turned off before I put in my video card.
--
Here is my current information on computer and video card:

COMPUTER: Emachine D6405 http://officedepot.c...id=-2096873124

Video Card:
Name: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
Manufacturer: VIA/ S3 Graphics Co, Ltd.
Chip Type: VIA/ S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Memory: 64MB

I'd appreciate any suggestion or help!
Thanks!

Advertisements

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Did the video card come with a CD?

sweets

sweets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Did the video card come with a CD?

View Post

Yes, it did.

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
have you tried installing the videocard while using the old card so you have the necessary drivers to run the new video card? if so you might try uninstalling and reinstalling, this might help.

good luck

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi sweets,

I was just on the emachines website here looking for a manual but could not find a model that matched the number D6405 you listed, if you could give it a look and provide a link that would be great

Are you sure you listed the correct number.

You could check for a bios setting related the the agp buss but without a manual I can't guid you.

Also on some motherboards you have to load a agp driver it is usually on a cd that comes with the motherboard so check all the cd's that came with the machine maybe the driver did not get installed, this would cause this but I don't know how emachines come either with all software preinstalled or the user has to install.

Rick

sweets

sweets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

have you tried installing the videocard while using the old card so you have the necessary drivers to run the new video card?  if so you might try uninstalling and reinstalling, this might help. 

good luck

View Post

I just tried installing the CD that came with the new video card and it was just a blank screen again. I don't even see the current card in the motherboard...which is weird..?!

sweets

sweets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi sweets,

I was just on the emachines website here looking for a manual but could not find a model that matched the number D6405 you listed, if you could give it a look and provide a link that would be great

Are you sure you listed the correct number.

You could check for a bios setting related the the agp buss but without a manual I can't guid you.

Also on some motherboards you have to load a agp driver it is usually on a cd that comes with the motherboard so check all the cd's that came with the machine maybe the driver did not get installed, this would cause this but I don't know how emachines come either with all software preinstalled or the user has to install.

Rick

View Post

I had the same trouble looking for the model number for this computer too. Then my friend told me the only place that has this model is Office Depot, where I got it. What other information do you need that may help you to help me?...if you can tell me where I can find it i'll get it to you asap. Here's a picture of what i'm seeing:
Posted Image
I'm inserting the card at the light-purple colored slot, above the 3 blue ones.

I'll try looking for an installation disk for the agp driver.

Thanks!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Then my friend told me the only place that has this model is Office Depot

Yea that figures your friend is probably right.

Is there a manufactuers name and model number on the motherboard? I doubt it but if so Maybe I could find and download a manual

What bios do you have? could it be Award?

I am very reluctant without a manual to have you go messing around in bios because if you mess up and the computer won't boot I can't explain how to clear the cmos to get it to boot again.

Rick

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy Doby:

I'm wondering is the card he is trying to use is even compatible with his system (AGP connection).. :tazz:

Do a search for the card and take a look at the pic and then take a look at his AGP connection again and see what you think!!

Murray

sweets

sweets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Yea that figures your friend is probably right.

Is there a manufactuers name and model number on the motherboard? I doubt it but if so Maybe I could find and download a manual

What bios do you have? could it be Award?

I am very reluctant without a manual to have you go messing around in bios because if you mess up and the computer won't boot I can't explain how to clear the cmos to get it to boot again.

Rick

View Post

I will try to find the model number on the motherboard.
What is a bio? :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hey Murray, good to here from you again, I just had a look and see what you mean but the pics are decieving I guess because the fx 5200 is a standard agp 1.5V card and should fit the board even though it don't look like it would snap in.

Another thing I noticed is usually agp slots are brown in color but his is blue so I did take a good look but then I remenbered I just built a system with a biostar board and took a look at its agp slot and its orange in color so I guess the brown don't hold true anymore

I think he has onboard video and with some motherboards you have to install the drivers that come with the board (chipset ect) with these drivers there are agp drivers bundeled that you need to install to get the agp slot to work. Its rare but I remember some time ago having to do this before I could get a agp card to work right. I duno without knowing what board its hard to say.

Rick

sweets

sweets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey Murray, good to here from you again, I just had a look and see what you mean but the pics are decieving I guess because the fx 5200 is a standard agp 1.5V card and should fit the board even though it don't look like it would snap in.

Another thing I noticed is usually agp slots are brown in color but his is blue so I did take a good look but then I remenbered I just built a system with a biostar board and took a look at its agp slot and its orange in color so I guess the brown don't hold true anymore

I think he has onboard video and with some motherboards you have to install the drivers that come with the board (chipset ect) with these drivers there are agp drivers bundeled that you need to install to get the agp slot to work. Its rare but I remember some time ago having to do this before I could get a agp card to work right. I duno without knowing what board its hard to say.

Rick

View Post

Her* lol.

Eh, it's getting pretty late right now so i'll look for the serial number tomorrow. I've noticed that too, that AGP slots are commonly found in brown, just like my old PC. Once I opened up this PC.."ahh! where's the agp slot?!" then I found it above the 3 cgi's...and the agp fits just perfectly in the agp slot. I'll get back to you on this asap tomorrow. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you can find the make/model, it would be a MAJOR help!!

Murray

sweets

sweets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

If you can find the make/model, it would be a MAJOR help!!

Murray

View Post

I found this little silver sticker on my motherboard that said this:

PhoenixBios
Pentium IV

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but I couldn't find anything else besides stickers with just numbers on them.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nope.. not it.. You may have to open the case again and look for anything written on the mobo itself..

Murray