Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restoring system, missing drivers

• Please log in to reply

spike350

spike350

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I recently did a system restore on my dell inspiron 1525 and seems to have "forgotten" to install a couple drivers. I tried formatting my hdd and rerunning the restore and every time there's a different driver missing (except for once where it just refused to boot). I'd really like to get out of BIOS soon. I have the windows vista reinstall disk plus the drivers and utilities disk (although I can't figure out how to run the latter).

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hi spike try a clean install.
http://www.vistax64....rade-vista.html

Then please post the service tag of your machine and I will locate the drivers for you.
http://support.euro....dhs&~mode=popup

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Erm... I can't even boot... I'm stuck in BIOS unless I boot from disk. Otherwise I could get the drivers just fine.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
(I'm on my tablet right now)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Be sure to install the drivers in the correct order or you will have problems http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm not installing drivers individually. I'm running the install disk.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Erm... I can't even boot... I'm stuck in BIOS unless I boot from disk. Otherwise I could get the drivers just fine.

Yes I understand that.If you do a clean install booting from your vista cd you should be good to go. ;)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

I'm not installing drivers individually. I'm running the install disk.

You really need to install the chipset driver first Also you might wanna get the newest driver versions to avoid issues later on down the road.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That's what I'm doing. I run the disk all the way through. It finishes installing. It reboots. All [bleep] breaks loose :P. It goes into windows boot manager and says that it's missing a driver. It gives me the name of a .sys file and an error code (both of which change every time I reinstall and I'm reinstalling right now so I don't know the current one) I have what it says in another topic that no one read it's at the bottom of one called "restoring system"

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
All [bleep]... *facepalm*

Advertisements

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Oh didn't see earlier post. How do I do that?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Sounds to me like your vista cd is messed up are there any visible scratchs/smudges/fingerprints on it Give it a good cleaning.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That's what I thought but it looks brand new. Plus, it's a different file every time.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Perhaps the HDD is going. But the only thing that I can think of is to try and disable AHCI in your bios.
http://www.mydigital...e-on-ahci-mode/
Prior to the install.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Randomly decided to work got it installed but when I starts up it says please wait like normal then the screen goes black for a second then it says please wait again. I T's not going past that