Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS and the CMOS Battery

• Please log in to reply

mostsleek

mostsleek

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I need to replace the power supply on my computer. I am running Raid 1, mirror of 2 HDDS. I will guess that the CMOS battery is to weak to save the bios for any extended time with out power. I also know from another computer that if I do replace the power supply with the battery being to weak it will lose the settings, including the RAID settings.

On the other computer it got a little weird when after replace the PSU, Windows XP SP3, found a new device...the raid driver. That is when I discovered the Raid had been "turned off". I turned it back on and then Windows found a new driver...the raid driver. Long story short the user wanted to do a fresh install, so I don't know if the raid was still working or what.

Back to my computer. Can I/Is it safe to replace the CMOS battery while it is running (powered on and running) and/or plugged it but powered off, assuming the power supply will still be leaching some power to keep the saved settings? I really do not want the fun experience of playing with the raid again while sensitive data is already on the HDDS.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Back to my computer. Can I/Is it safe to replace the CMOS battery while it is running (powered on and running) and/or plugged it but powered off, assuming the power supply will still be leaching some power to keep the saved settings?

Absolutely not. Do not even think about replacing the battery without powering down AND unplugging from the wall AND touching bare metal of the case to discharge any static first.

My suggestion is to boot into the BIOS setup menu and write down the settings before replacing the battery.