Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build powers up for a second then all shuts down.

• Please log in to reply

jootd

jootd

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there. I just purchased the parts and OS to build a new computer and I am having a problem when I go to turn it on after all is assembled. Pushed the power button, the leds light up, the stock case fan starts to turn, no beeps, then all stops. Took it back apart to see if I had something not hooked up or hooked up incorrectly and all looks right.

These are the parts that I purchased:
CPU - Intel i5-2500k 2nd Gen
Motherboard - Asus P8P67LE
RAM - 16 Gig Patriot ddr3 pc3-12800 1600mhz
PSU - Coolmax V-600
HDD - Seagate 500gb 7200rpm SATA
Case - CoolerMaster 430
OS - Windows 7 64bit
Optical - Asus Oem Basic DVD RW
GPU - Radeon HD6570 2gig ddr2 (this is actually taken from my current pc, only 2 months old)

Any advice would be most appreciated. I did my best to make sure everything is compatible but I am questioning the PSU so far, as there is a power connecter spot on the motherboard that doesn't match up with any on the PSU bundle.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Hi jootd and :welcome:

Took it back apart to see if I had something not hooked up or hooked up incorrectly and all looks right.

Did you remove the motherboard to make sure you don't have an extra standoff underneath? Since cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards, they typically have several more motherboard mounting holes than the motherboard. And extra standoff will short out the board and can cause permanent damage.

Did you apply a proper layer of TIM? Are you sure the HSF assembly is securely fastened? Are all the required motherboard power connectors securely attached (there typically are 2 or 3 separate connections)?

jootd

jootd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi jootd and :welcome:

Took it back apart to see if I had something not hooked up or hooked up incorrectly and all looks right.

Did you remove the motherboard to make sure you don't have an extra standoff underneath? Since cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards, they typically have several more motherboard mounting holes than the motherboard. And extra standoff will short out the board and can cause permanent damage.

Did you apply a proper layer of TIM? Are you sure the HSF assembly is securely fastened? Are all the required motherboard power connectors securely attached (there typically are 2 or 3 separate connections)?

Hi thanks for responding. I did actually take the motherboard back out to look for extra standoffs. I also kept googling last night and found some reviews about the PSU, and I may have found the issue. I mentioned the power hookup on the mobo that was left vacant, and this PSU simply doesn't have that connection (8 pin). We may have a case of me not researching the PSU properly to begin with. Going to exchange it today and get one that does have all of the proper connections and see if that's all it is.

I'll report back to the thread with results of that.

Regarding the heatsink and thermal paste, Fry's offered to install CPU and heatsink to the new motherboard for me, and I opted to pay the $5 for that service, so I have to assume that he did install that part properly. I'll reserve that as a possible cause until after I check things that I had control over, like the PSU.

Btw, Very appreciative of people like you, and sites like this one that take time out of their day to help people over the internet.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I am surprised that PSU does not have the necessary connections. I recommend you look at getting a nice Corsair or Antec PSU.

Yeah, I would hold off on checking the TIM and HSF mounting. Unless the computer was bounced off the floor, they are probably fine.

Btw, Very appreciative of people like you, and sites like this one that take time out of their day to help people over the internet.

Thanks. And it is comments like yours that make it worthwhile.

jootd

jootd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Update: The PSU was in fact not compatible with the motherboard. The guy that did the return for me at Fry's was just as surprised that it didn't have the proper connector. Exchanged it for a CoolerMaster 500w with the proper connectors, and voila', here I am on the new computer. Loving it so far.

Thanks for the help. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Great! Glad that sorted it out and thanks for the followup.