Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't access default ip on linksys wrt54g v8 (can ping cmd)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My border router has been working for years and then I just noticed the ssid name has changed back to default "linksys" and "unsecurred" wifi! No one has hard reset the router and I cant access the default router browser ip ( I've hard reset the device and I still cant connect to the ip through my web browser. I can ping the ip through cmd and I receive 4 packets though. Has anyone ever heard of an issue like this? Does anyone know a simple solution? (without buying a new router or resetting firmware through hardwired harness to circuit board)

Edited by 93n73573r, 19 February 2012 - 10:05 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

That does sound a bit strange, someone may have logged in to it and changed some settings. I'd do a hard reset on the device and then plug it in again. Once it has woken up properly, try connecting to it as if it was just another access point. Once you have connected, open your network properties and get the default gateway IP address. Try logging in using the IP address you find.