Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound on laptop - HELP?!

• Please log in to reply

clueless1993

clueless1993

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My Laptop recently had a virus so a woman at a local repair shop fixed it however there is now no sound. I don't want to take it back there because it cost so much first time.

Can someone please help me?

I have a print screen of something that may be the root of the problem if you can read it but for some reason i cannot attach it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi clueless1993

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

If this is a result of the recent repair then the shop should put it right.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

clueless1993

clueless1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi thanks for your help.

There is a yellow ! which is in the attatchment, just not sure how to deal with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sound Fault Screenshot.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Right click on the device and then update the driver, let us know if that works.

clueless1993

clueless1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No sorry its says it cannot continue the hardware update wizard

Attached Thumbnails

• Sound Fault Screenshot.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Go back to Device Manager and uninstall the device then reboot the notebook and see if the hardware wizard will reinstall the device for you.

clueless1993

clueless1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks this is great but what do you mean by reboot the notebook? do you just mean the whole laptop?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Restart the notebook, laptop is a term Im not in favour of using as they should not be used on the lap as it restricts the airflow and causes overheating.

clueless1993

clueless1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ah right okay haha thanks again but i did it and it still has the yellow !

It says the device cannot start (code 10)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Try http://support.micro...device_problems

You can download two drivers a day for free @ http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

I am only suggesting the free driver downloads and in no way suggesting that you use any other product or service at those links.

Edited by phillpower2, 20 February 2012 - 05:10 PM.
Link added.