Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow network performance + updates not installing

• Please log in to reply

benny_b

benny_b

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if these questions are to be posted here or in networking.

My laptop has been running slow for a couple of months now. I've been getting checked out in the malware forum and everything seems ok, although some scans did not run properly. You can read the post here:

http://www.geekstogo...nce-with-xp-pc/

We managed to narrow the problem down to the wireless device. I haven't been able to correctly install a new driver for the wireless device. I uninstalled the wireless driver, but after reboot the driver reinstalled itself without me being able to stop it. We installed the Configfree software anyways from the link below but it made the computer even more unresponsive, so I ran a system restore. I could use some help to get a new driver installed to see if that will fix my problem. The update "11-11-2003 Driver Wi-Fi" has the same version #2.4.2.14 as my wireless device, so I'm guessing this is the correct driver for my wireless device. This is a list of relevant toshiba software/drivers for my computer:

http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663

I'm also receiving a number of warnings and errors in the system event viewer and would like to try to correct them. we cleared the dhcp and tpcip, but the warnings started again. My knowledge of networking is minimal and when I read about clients and hosts I have no idea what is being talked about.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/02/2012 8:47:12 AM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 1002 Source: Dhcp
The IP address lease 192.168.1.106 for the Network Card with network address 009096726AB2 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 13/02/2012 2:11:29 PM
Event: 9 Source: atapi
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/02/2012 12:36:51 PM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1009 Source: Dhcp
A network error occurred when trying to send a message. The error code is: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall. .

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/02/2012 12:36:51 PM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1003 Source: Dhcp
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 009096726AB2. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

My other problem has to do with windows updates. I can connect with the update site and download the updates, but they fail to install. Since then, I have been manually downloading and installing them. I had to renew my product key last year and since then I have been unable to properly install my windows updates. I've applied all of the recommended fixes at the Windows site and they still do not help.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
See this
http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663

the driver you mention requires the Atheros Client utility, that is in the list below the driver.
THIS is the note on the driver file
DescriptionRequires Atheros Client Utility v2.4.2.18 (atheros_wpa_client.exe)

I have not read all of your Malware thread only the last few closing posts.

Are you sure the wireless card is Atheros chip, as I notice there is another driver simply titled Toshiba wireless.
NOTE PLEASE read the thread now I see it is the Atheros.

You can install the driver manually, but is an exe - in otherwords a self executing file so simply run it without, uninstalling the device and rebooting, as it will then if you do that, simply reinstall the same driver you had.

Re the Config free it is simply a utility that allows you to create profiles for different networks, so that with just a couple of mouse clicks, you can start your new profile at the location without having to reconfigure any passwords etc.
I would HAVE recommended uninstalling from add/remove programs but I see you did a system restore - WAS the restore point - PRIOR to the work with my colleague in the Malware forum.

NOTE I see my colleague happyrock has posted. PLEASE proceed with his advice BEFORE you address my suggestions.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first run chkdsk /r....this can take a long time but is necessary...do not stop it or power off your system while its running...it may stop at a certain % for a hour or even back up...that is normal...let it run...
then try updating again...
no joy...

batch script to fix windows update not working
Then select Save As and in the dialog box, select the drop-down menu for 'Save as type'. Change that type to 'All Files'.
Next, in the file name box, add this to the end of whatever you name your file: .cmd

That being done, you should see an MS-DOS icon where ever you saved the file...

batch script to fix windows update not working

Reinstall Automatic Updates:

Copy The content in the below block and paste it in notepad
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 /u wuaueng.dll /s
del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
del /f /s /q %windir%\windowsupdate.log
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
net start bits
net start wuauserv
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save it to desktop as reinstall.cmd. Double click on reinstall.cmd to run it.

This will remove the automatic update system and downloaded files. Then reinstall the automatci update moudle, starts the services and looks for updates

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I don't know if this is an atheros chip or not. If I look in device manager in network adapters it says "Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter". In Properties/Driver, the provider is Atheros and the version is 2.4.2.14. That's all I'm basing it on.

So, I should install utility wi-fi followed by driver wi-fi?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO Please see the last line of my post and proceed FIRST with my colleagues advice.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Thanks. I got the message the first time. Commencing chkdsk.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well, now, all I was doing was ensuring that you had seen it.
When you asked this

So, I should install utility wi-fi followed by driver wi-fi?

I

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Great! Thanks again for your promptness. Please don't think i meant any disrespect.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Found this for you on the Toshiba link

Do not know if it is in anyway applicable to your modem/router
The internal Atheros Wireless LAN adapter does not support turbo mode. The internal Atheros wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) adapter will not connect to a wireless router or access point (including those from Atheros) that is configured to broadcast in turbo mode.

Is there any chance that in your attempt to solve you have altered the modem/router settings.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi Happyrock,

I ran chkdsk /r and tried updates again. No luck. I ran the batch script you gave me. No Luck. I do not know how to "reinstall the Automatic Updates module", so after I ran your batch script I logged onto Automatic Updates again, but it still failed to install the updates.

Hi Macboatmaster,

I haven't been able to locate Turbo mode settings on my laptop, but know I've seen them and that Turbo wasn't selected so I do not believe that I have been running my wi-fi in Turbo mode. I set it up years ago and left it alone. It had been working fine. I have a new ISP and router and it does not appear to support Turbo and is still in it's basic operational set up. My performance problems were already a concern before I switched ISPs and got the new router. The new router hasn't improved performance.

The restore point was a couple of days prior to the installation of the new software. At some point during the malware removal my system restore was flushed. Yesterday I had a look at System Restore and the disable system restore box was checked, but I have no idea why this happened as I am pretty sure I didn't do it myself. Maybe when I unistalled combofix or ran system restore? Anyways, I enabled System Restore.

I found some fragments of Configfree in my Progams folder that survived the system restore or may have been there previously and i agree with you that it seems to be some sort of diagnostic scanner. I've also read that the wireless runs fine on native windows client utility without the toshiba version, which in some instances has even created conflicts. I suppose I removed it many years ago as I don't remember ever using it.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Send me this please

1. go start
run
type cmd
when that opens type
cd\
that should now take you just to a C:\> prompt
type
ipconfig /all > C:\ip.txt
that will place a txt file on the root of C drive please copy and paste the actual file contents. Please do not just attach the file which I then have to open.

2. Run this please and send me the results

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pC<span s...stop.com</span>
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY other tests on offer

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately from my last, so that you do not miss the details, as I think you have already seen the post 11.

Re this error
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 13/02/2012 2:11:29 PM
Event: 9 Source: atapi
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period

Please go
Device Manager and expand the entry disk drives.
Right click your hard drive and click properties.
It will then tell you which channel it is connected eg. Device 0 Channel 0
Then expand the IDE controllers entry
right click on the controller ie 0 and click properties, click the advanced tab and what please is the current mode for the drive DMA or PIO
and is the small box, enable DMA, checked.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I tried to run the pitstop software, but i recieved a warning, "Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.", I proceeded, but then there was something about disabling active x script so i stopped the install.

i looked at the hard drive and its location is 0(0). The current mode for IDE is DMA. I did work on the IDE devices with Ron (the previous tech) and we tried switching the DMA on and off. There was a script we ran too, which kept telling me the IDE had been repaired and to reboot, but after reboot it would say it needed to be repaired again, but when i looked at the IDE settings they were correct. so we left it alone.

here's the IP.txt:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : js-dnqv5ud8yble

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-96-72-6A-B2

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:07:56 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:07:56 AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-0D-12-EC-C6

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Nothing whatsoever to concern yourself with
Pitstop has been used on this site without any adverse results.

You simply click the information bar to allow active x.

Please confirm if the connection itself is OK and it is simply the perceived slowness and error reports, OR is the connection subject to failure all the time.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
The connection is mostly OK. It has dropped connections on occasion with the new router, but I don't remember this with the old router. The slowness is pretty consistent.

I tried to run pitstop again, received the same warning message, "Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.", allowed it to uninstall active x, but it looped back to the same page.

"ActiveX Components required by the program cannot be loaded and/or updated. If you were prompted to install components but cancelled, please restart the program and select "Install" as seen in the picture below.

If the problem continues, click here to run a script that will remove the existing activex controls from your machine. Wait for the controls to be removed and PC Matic will reopen automatically. When it does, be sure to click on the Install button to reinstall the controls. This problem may also occur if a firewall is blocking access to the Internet. Instructions for configuring the CA Firewall are available here. If you need further help, please contact Customer Service."

Edited by benny_b, 21 February 2012 - 02:25 PM.