Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow network performance + updates not installing

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There is no screenshot attached.
Are you using IE
from my notes on the post re Pitstop

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Are you sure it is UNINSTALL activeX and not install

On which part of Pitstop do you receive this message.
I presume you have worked your way through the page offered on Pitstop

Troubleshooting
Sorry you're having trouble with the site; let's take a look at what the problem could be. The following advice is based on an automatic analysis of your system, and the items listed below are by far the most common causes of the problems that people have when using our site.

We suggest that you try all the solutions we have identified below; one or more of them will most likely get you past the problem you're having.

In Windows NT/2000/XP, you must have Administrator privileges in order to install the ActiveX control. If you do not, the tests will initiate but immediately take you back to the starting page because the ActiveX utility is not present.

We recommend that you use Internet Explorer 6. Although our site usually works with versions as old as IE4 SP2, we are not able to test on this configuration regularly. Most of the AutoFixes we offer require IE5.5 or higher and cannot be run on IE4.

You have per-session cookies disabled in Internet Explorer. This will prevent our tests (and most of the rest of our site) from working. Most commonly this will result in "No session in progress" messages and you will not be able to compete the tests. Please enable cookies per these instructions. If your IE cookie settings are correct, make sure you are not using a utility that disables cookies.You have permanent cookies disabled in Internet Explorer. You will not be able to automatically log into the site if you disable them. Most commonly this will cause you to return to the pitstop.asp ("Entering the pit") page instead of starting the tests. See these instructions. If your IE cookie settings are correct, make sure you are not using a utility that disables cookies.

The time on your PC's clock is significantly different than the time at our server:
Your PC: Tue Feb 21 20:19:33 UTC 2012
PC Pitstop: Tue Feb 21 20:19:25 UTC 2012
Misadjusted time can cause many unusual problems, particularly in relation to cookies. To adjust the time, double-click on the clock in the system tray.
You have not yet loaded the PC Pitstop utility. If you have already tried testing but received an error message about the utility not being loaded, follow the instructions here. Note that we are no longer able to support Windows 95, 98, or ME. You may also want to check our ActiveX test page to see if your ActiveX support is functioning properly.

Although you have loaded the PC Pitstop utility, it is not the current version. Normally the new version will be loaded when you try to test. If that is not happening, the most likely cause is a proxy server that has cached an old copy of the utility. You may also want to try the instructions here to manually remove it. It appears you're using America Online. Be sure that you are accessing the PC Pitstop site through Internet Explorer, not the AOL builtin browser. You start IE using the Posted Image icon on your system tray or desktop. Also, we suggest that you upgrade to AOL 6.0 if you are using an older version.

JavaScript is disabled. The PC Pitstop testing process requires that you have JavaScript turned on. Check your ActiveX support for more information and instructions.

Internet Explorer scripting support installed on this system is not the latest version. This may cause scripting errors on the site or AutoFixes you may run. You can update your scripting support by going to Microsoft scripting support and dowloading the latest non-beta version. (Note that the download links are at the bottom of the Microsoft pages.)

Note: If you just received an Install on Demand dialog box for scripting and clicked the Cancel button, you should close all Internet Explorer windows. Then, open a new window and return to this page. When it prompts to install scripting support, click OK.
Your WMI installation is not functioning properly. Our tests use Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to gather some of the information from your system. On your system, WMI is reporting an error. This could cause certain information to be reported as blanks or zeroes. See our instructions for fixing WMI here. Currently you have Internet Explorer configured to use the older HTTP 1.0 protocol for accessing the Internet. Most web sites, including ours, work better if you use the HTTP 1.1 protocol. This is easy to change. Start Internet Explorer and select Tools | Internet Options | Advanced. In the dialog of options, scroll to the section labeled HTTP 1.1 Settings and check the box labeled "Use HTTP 1.1".

Internet Explorer is configured to use a local proxy server to access the Internet. This usually indicates you are using ad-blocking or security software that filters the incoming HTML and script. These programs can corrupt our web pages and prevent them from working properly, so we recommend that you disable them while you run your tests. Some of these utilities have their own ways of being temporarily turned off or disabled, you'll need to check their documentation. You are using a proxy server to access the Internet, but it is not needed. We have found that the proxy often causes unreliable operation and reduced performance, so we recommend that you disable it. See below.

You are using a proxy server to access the Internet, and we have found that many proxy servers cause unreliable operation of our site. We recommend that you try to disable the proxy settings and see if that helps. In some cases your ISP or network administrator may require the use of a proxy server, and you will have to enable it again.

How to turn off proxy settings: From Internet Explorer's menu, select Tools | Internet Options | Connections. If you are on a LAN click "LAN settings", if you are on a dial-up, highlight the dial-up connection you are using, then click "Settings". Clear all three check boxes in this dialog: Automatically detect settings, Use automatic configuration script, and Use a proxy server. Click OK. It is also a good idea to close any open browser windows and open a new one before testing again. If you cannot disable your proxy server, you might try allowing the use of the newer HTTP 1.1 protocol with the proxy. Start Internet Explorer and select Tools | Internet Options | Advanced. In the dialog of options, scroll to the section labeled HTTP 1.1 Settings and check the box labeled "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections".

You are running applications that are known to cause problems for our testing: Please uninstall or temporarily disable these applications

• Disable any background applications, firewall programs, or browser utilities including web accelerators, ad blockers, ZoneAlarm, or Norton Internet Security. These may corrupt the scripts and files used by PC Pitstop, causing them to malfunction.
  • If you get a pop-up that says an ActiveX control on this page is unsafe, then your IE security is set too high. The PC Pitstop tests require the Medium security zone settings to function properly.
  • If you are using IE6 or IE7 and are continuing to experience a loop when trying to load the PC Pitstop utility, go to: Tools | Manage Add-ons | Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer and also | Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer and verify that all Active X add-ons from PC Pitstop are enabled.
PLEASE NOTE this is NOT your computer analysis of course despite the opening line of the resolution

Advertisements

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I'm unable to install this program correctly. i ran it on IE8. windows blocked it. i ran it anyways. I got this screen. i ran the uninstall active x prompt. it was supposed to reinstall active x, but it doesn't. it just goes back to this screen. so now i have no active x.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please send screenshots by jpeg then they will attach bmp is too large.

Please see my previous post check active x.

Also IE security set too high.

Disable - ONLY on that link av and firewall.

In otherwords please work your way through the solutions on the thread.

If you still cannot get it we will have to approach this another way. - but that is the LOOOONG way

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK, sorry for the hassle Macboatmaster. I did get it to run working down the troubleshoot list and playing with IE which I never use. I was mucking around with software I downloaded on the computer which appears to have not been the problem. i rebooted and went to the site again and worked on disabling my pop-up blockers. Anyways, I hope this worked...

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24805650

maybe that was the wrong link...

http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

Edited by benny_b, 21 February 2012 - 03:25 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
We will if this suits you start tonight but I am in the Uk and will sign off about 0100hrs.
Please do not leave me without telling me you are going and I will do the same for you, so that neither of us are wating for a reply that is not coming.

Whilst we are working together, please do NOT run any other fixes you may find by Googling. and if you wish confirmation or clarification of anything I ask you do, please do ask.

1. I have only just open Pitstop and although F drive is not of course your system drive, every time you ask for information on that drive, it WILL be slow as you have 2% of free space which is dangerously low. 10% is the minimum.

Please disconnect it and see how we go and I will prepare the next post.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK. I'm around for about 8-9 hours. It looks like my pc kind of sucks, but I still like it. I'm aware of the 10% minimum free drive space and I've been trying to clear up space on the F drive, but I always seem to add more than I remove. I guess it's time to shop for another one. They don't like that wireless adapter either.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Re
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter

Go here please
http://www.drivermax...5.1&win_arch=32

Rather than using Pitstop- Driver Max is more reliable and you can download 3 free.
ONLY the Atheros driver is reported ot of date.

and how does it go if you

Please disconnect it and see how we go and I will prepare the next post.

3, You have this amout of space allocated to system restore
DriveCapacitySystem

Capacity Operating System
C:\38154 MB4578 MBWindows XP Pro SP3
F:\953859 MB114463 MBWindows XP Pro SP3

eg 4.5Gb on C
114.4Gb on F.

Windows allocates 12% of a drive by default.
YOU cannot possibly need all those restore points if a choice of 7 do not work, NONE are going to.
REDUCE the capacity to 5%.

In otherwords C Drive will be approx 1907.
ON F drive that would be 47692 which is still 47Gb, you can safely lower it to 3% on that.

That is Start, right click My Computer, click properties and then the restore tab and then settings button

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so you do not miss this, if you have already read the last .

You have AVAST, Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster.

Disable Tea Timer in Spybot S&D and reboot and tell me how it is then please.
http://www.safer-net...rial/index.html

Section8 when you open the link.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
There are 3 drivers that match my device with #2 and #3 beside them so I'm not sure which one to select. I reduced System Restore to 1951 as it was on a slider and that was the closest I could get; F: is down to 4% now. I do not have TeaTimer ON as such, but the SDTimer which blocks pop-ups in IE, but I turned it off anyways. I've been running most of my testing without the F drive connected, but I forgot to disconnect before the Pitstop test. It definitely slows perforamnce, but it's slow with or without the F drive connected.

Edited by benny_b, 21 February 2012 - 05:13 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I didn't want you thinking I forgot about this thread...
I had a setback with my eye yesterday...had to go to eye doctor today and tomorrow...
I'll be back when I can

Advertisements

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK. I'll just check in and try to keep you posted where I'm at too. Hope your eye improves soon. You saw post #10, right?

Edited by benny_b, 21 February 2012 - 06:12 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry for the absence working on another couple of threads.

Choose the latest on the 5001X mini PCI the others are not yours.

Are Avast, Sybot and Spyware Blaster all the free editions please and which Firewall are you using.

Please go on IE not Firefox to here
http://www.google.co...kg5i73RhRmkYelw

BEFORE you do, please go start, control panel, security and change your update setting if you have them automatic to OFF.
Then reebot and go to the link and see if it will scan for updates and offer any.
Then see if you can download and install any critical

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
All three scanners are free. I only use Windows firewall. I had to download software and create an account at DriverMax and am still waiting for my registration confirmation email. Unfortunately, I also picked up an AVG toolbar in the process.

I just ran the IE Update Link you posted and it performed as before. It scans and finds Updates, I can download them, but they fail to install. there were no critical updates, but I tried to install an optional printer driver, which failed to install.

The DriverMax site does not give me access to the driver you recommended. Their scanner has given me a list of suitable drivers, but none of them are the one you selected.

http://www.drivermax...dapter&start=1.

Edited by benny_b, 21 February 2012 - 07:34 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. You did create the free one I presume, sorry for not mentioning that specifically, although I did say you may download three free.

2. Re the AVG toolbar - Go IE Tools, Manage Add ons Toolbars and extensions and uninstall.

3. When the updates fail to install, what is the failure message.
I never like accepting driver updates from Windows, they do not always offer the correct one.

Is there not an optional windows update.
Choose one that says it can be uninstalled, certain ones CANNOT be uninstalled.
Find the KB number and note the details
Then go Microsoft downloads here
http://www.microsoft...V_121LSUS007799

search for the update and you will find the manual download and install

ON THAT LINK ONLY disable AV and Spybot and download, then with them still disabled, install and report any failure message please.

NOTE signing off - goodnight will check reply and post by 1800 uk time now 0130

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I tried to update with scanners disabled and got the same result. The Update page correctly scans for the latest updates, and gives me a list of updates to install. I select the updates, it says that Updates are being downloaded and installed, green bars move across the page. Then I get this, "Some updates were not installed. The Following updates were not installed: Windows (name of software here) {KB...)". I have no problems with manually downloading and installing updates, but it's a pain. It's only when I go through Windows Update on my start menu, that I have these problems.

In case you missed it in my last post, the DriverMax site does not give me access to the driver you recommended. Their scanner has given me a list of suitable drivers, but none of them are the one you selected.

http://www.drivermax...dapter&start=1.

AVG toolbar is malware and cannot be removed through add-ons or deleting the program.