Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow network performance + updates not installing

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I can ASSURE you categorically that any link I send you will NOT include any malware in the download, with the provision of course, that I cannot cater for some procedure you adopt OR some aspect of your computer that changes the page to which that link takes you.

I apologise if you feel in any way that I should have remembered to warn you that, as with MANY MANY downloads, toolbars and search providers are offered.
For instance Adobe is just one such site of MANY that offers such things and they offer the Google toolbar.

If you have ONLY been to the link I provided I can assure you that your statement that it is MALWARE is both wrong and without justification.
and of course have remembered as I warned to re enable your AV and firewall

DriverMax, like most free offerings of drivers clearly identifies that it install that UNLESS you UNCHECK the box, offering it.

The AVG toolbar is IF it is the one installed by DriverMax not anything that you need to be concerned with, albeit you may not have wanted it and COULD have chosen NOT to have it.
http://www.softpedia...DriverMax.shtml

See this please
http://forums.avg.co...d=158847&type=0

I APOLOGISE if this post seems a little sharp, but it was I felt necessary, as many people, not members of the site browse the forums, and I wished to cover the risk of someone gaining an impression that we sent unsafe links

Advertisements

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I realize it was my mistake to install the toolbar. I was in a hurry and let it slip. I wasn't blaming or accusing anyone. I was just expressing frustration with the toolbar and it's tenacity. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anyways, I think I got rid of it (I hope).

Edited by benny_b, 21 February 2012 - 10:35 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Okay.
1. think the next step is to trust DriverMax and install the one they are offering, I of course do not know which one that is and only selected the one I proposed as it seemed from the evidence available the coorect one.
If it dioes not work then use the Device Manager, driver tab and roll back driver.

2. Going on from there i would most certainly recommend the uninstall of that Foolbar - media player.
I have had a look at the site and both its history and its reputation seem to not even approach that of VLC FREE media player which is possibly one of the most used and the most trusted available.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It will play most forms of media and is provided with good support.

3. Then you need to address the number of items that are on the start list
go start
run
type
msconfig
click the startup tab
In the list those loading at startup have a green check tick in the box to the left
Each of these ticked is loading every time you load Windows
Such matters as
Adobe its updaters and helpers
Java updater
Audio configuration
Grahics management
can all safely be unchecked.

You may either use this
http://www.systemloo...ists.php?list=2

Ensure you are on the startup list and type in the name.
Check that you are on the tab name, that is below the box, name and filename.
You will then see a result as to YES it is needed
NO it is not
Your choice
etc.

IF YOU HAVE ANY doubt whatsoever LEAVE it unchecked and if you would rather me go through the list, send me a screenshot of the itmes that ARE ticked.
When you have done that, click Apply and OK. It will tell you a restart is necessary.
On doing so a message will appear that you have altered system configuration utility
Simply check the small boc do not show this message again.
DO NOT alter any entry connected with your A/V etc.

Here is another search for startup entries if you wish it
http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/

4. After you have done that please do this - ON IE
go Tools Manage Add-ons
and going through the list of each item
toolbars and extensions
Search Providers
Accelerators

Disable/remove
Toolbars you do not need
Search Providers - keep just ONE.
You can of course always use any you wish simply by going to that on the search bar

Accelerators - TOO many do exactly the opposite,.
If you DO NOT use WINDOWS LIVE - regularly disable all of them.
In private filtering does not require your attention.

Do the same on Firefox
Still Tools but then
Add-ons.

5. NOW this next part is your decision
There was a time when Firefox was considered by many a better browser than IE. It was thought to be and possibly was more secure.

I can assure you that the general view NOW is that with IE8 that is NOT the case.
IE9 will not run on XP.
Firefox has become in my opinion the very much second choice compared with IE

If you do decide to follow my advice, you can of course import your boomkmarks etc simply by clicking on File tab on IE Import and Export and then import from FIREFOX before uninstalling Firefox in add and remove programs. and see this
http://support.mozil...lling%20Firefox

To help you here is an extract from one of the recognised authorities on these matters

NSS Labs, an independent security testing facility, turned all six browsers loose against a set of 650 malicious URLs. The results are rather alarming for anyone who doesn't use a recent version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer:

• Internet Explorer 9 blocked 92 percent of the malicious links. (IE8 scored at 90 percent.)
  • Only 13 percent of malicious links were blocked by Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
  • Opera scored a pathetic 5 percent.

But wait, it gets even better. (Or worse, depending on your preferred browser.) Internet Explorer 9 has a new feature, Application Reputation, which boosted its blocking rate to an astonishing 100 per cent in NSS Labs' test. Application Reputation focuses on downloadable files rather than Web pages. It examines a file's "reputation" in the SmartScreen database: how many times it has been downloaded; is it digitally signed; is the publisher known and reputable; have there been any reports of malware in the file. If a file is known and trusted, the download proceeds without interference from SmartScreen. If it is known malware, you are warned of that fact and given a chance to cancel the download. If it is unknown, you receive a cautionary message before the download is allowed to proceed.

If you do decide to accept my advice, you will I think, notice a difference.

6. Now whether or not you have taken my advice on Firefox run this please.
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

Download the program, close ALL windows to the desktop.
and click start on the window of the TFC
NOTE a small flashing grpahics square is on the to right of the window, justbin case you are in any way susceptible to flashing graphics.

7. After reaching this stage please report how it is and which of my suggestions you HAVE or if it is easier WHICH you have NOT run.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

I wasn't expecting you back until 18:00. Sorry for any grief about the toolbar. My bad. I understand how these people make money and it's the price we pay for free software. The Pitstop tool was excellent I thought.

I did everything you suggseted except uninstalling foobar and firefox. I have a radio program to prepare for tomorrow and it's a bit late for me to learn a new media player. If you have any compelling links about why to not use foobar, please send them on. I tried VLC, but I found it a bit invasive in it's desire to control all of my media files. I will likely uninstall firefox as it's safety was my main reason for choosing it, although do we know how "independant" this lab was that ran the malicious URL test? Also, there seems to be a decline in support for xp and compatible IE.

I installed a new wireless driver. The site offers a rating system, so I searched for one that had the highest downloads with the least amount of failures. No problems. I can't say that there is any perceived improvement in performance here. It may be that the hardware itself is failing. I realize there is currently a certain amount of connectivity problems due to my new router and it's placement, but there is also a practicality vs. esthetics debate in my household.

In system start up I unchecked everything but Avast. There were two ctfmon.exe included, and one was enabled, but they were both in Sytem32, so that seemed right. After reboot there is only one ctfmon.exe.

As far as the browser goes, performance seems a bit more responsive.

I'm signing off for a few hours.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Foobar
Well if you found VLC unsuitable to your requirements and you find Foobar so much better then keep it, it is most honestly your computer and therefore your decision
See this
http://www.hydrogena...ilter=all&st=50

I am not able to decide for 100% certainity which Foobar you have, although it appears you have the stable version.
There are so many beta versions released, which should never be installed on your main working computer, as BETA is released for testing, as indeed the site tells you, that I personally would rate it as a no contest between that and VLC.

2. Decline in support for XP and IE
Well yes there is, but support for xp with SP3 does not finish until 8 April 2014.
Already noticeable of course
is that more and more hardware by way of graphics, audio, networking etc and the general software market will continue their steady decline of products with drivers for xp.
Come 8.4.14 the end of support means that you will not receive critical security updates, although related updates for Microsoft products such as Microsoft Security Essentials and other programs will still be available.

Depending on what other computers you have and what importance you place on ONE that is up to date and supported , is the issue to bear in mind as the date draws near.

3. When you return, can you test the system, with the conditions on which you perceived slowness and see how we are going.
You may read or have already done so, about tweaking services, by configuring the start configuration to manual rather than automatic.
GENERALLY speaking this is a risky procedure and more people have caused serious problems, than have EVER noticed any enhancement in performance that was worth the risk.
Many services have dependencies both ON and TO other services.

THAT said, there is ONE change that you may wish to consider.
The Indexing service does exactly what it says and indexes your data for faster searching.
Go Control Panel
Administrative tools
Services
Scroll to indexing
Double click
If start type is automatic and service is running
YOU may STOP service first.
The change to DISABLED on the smalll drop box for start type
Then if you wish to see what I refer to if you click the dependencies tab
you will see that OTHER services have no dependency on Indexing, but indexing is dependant on RPC.
In simple terms INDEXING stopped does not effect anything else, but indexing cannot run without RPC runnng.

Exit with apply and OK.
I STRONGLY recommend that you do not tweak any other services.
for the reasons stated.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I'll take another look at VLC. I also did a bit of browsing about IE vs. Firefox and 90 vs. 13 is very compelling. I guess there is lag in hours with the IE database updates, but the overall performance would still be better. I did a few changes in services a long time ago, but was careful to ensure there were no dependencies.

I was considering to move my router (at least until we are finished) to boost the signal and eliminate that variable. What do you suggest?

I'll be back in an hour or so to assess the performance.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will wait t hear from you.
IF you are keeping Firefox have a look at this
http://support.mozil...ivirus-software

I did use it, but have uninstalled it from all my computers except the Ubuntu installations of ocourse as they cannot use IE.
In my opinion, they release too many new versions, too quickly, to then find too many bugs.
Just one example for the new release on 16 February 2012
http://www.mozilla.o...2/releasenotes/

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK. I'm back. Here's the deal. I'm still getting windows leaving behind fragments when closing. My connection seems to be low and is dropping and reconnecting intermittently. That firefox link you sent was slow to load. boot up takes about 3 minutes total with about 30 sec. loading personal settings and another minute to get the desktop going. I have found firefox to not be running so well of late, but i attributed it to my overall slow machine. I'm thinking to ditch Firefox now, but I'll need to do it on a day when I have some more time to get familiar with IE again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well my advice is this.
As Avast Sybot and SpywareBlaster are all free you do not have any problem reinstalling.

I would go here
http://windows.micro...rity-essentials

I would on that link ONLY disable your avast and the spybot and see if you can get a download and an install on MSE
Once you have done that I would uninstall Spybot, SpywareBlaster and Avast

Using this procedure
1. Avast
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

2.Spybot
http://www.safer-net.../uninstall.html

3. Spyware blaster
https://www.javacool...leid=30&nav=0,4

It is important that you follow those procedures as fagments of these programs left behind, may cause errors.

I feel reasonably certain that you will notice a difference.
MSE uses probably the least resources of the fre A/V programs
It is both an antivirus and an anti spyware.

You do not need ANY other real time protection.
Indeed you should NOT run any OTHER real time protection
I then recomend that you read this
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

and install Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware - free edition and use those scans simply as reassurance to the health of your system, especially the MBAM for a follow up to your weekly scan with MSE
A quick scan is all that is required on both.

THAT all said the choice is again yours.

AVAST and Spybot or Avast and SpywareBlaster are widely reported as compatible, but there are also reports of them not being suitable on all systems and causing slowdowns.
These reports appear to refer to the latest editions.

IT IS IMHO certainly worth the effort to try .

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK. I'll check it out. Is there anything i should do about the system warnings and errors?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Once you have done all of that - whichever you decide to do of the last posts, then if need be we will call for the latest event logs on Application and System in the Error category of events and see where we are going.

I am off the opinion that part of the problem is or was the External drive with hardly any free apace and whenever you made a call on the drive, for it to find the information would be like watching grass grow.
Indeed as I said, if you allow it to fall any lower, you may find that you will end up with file corruption on the drive.

I consider the second part of the problem to be a slowness caused by the loading of many programs - how many were checked please?
and a fair quantity of temporary files - WHAT did TFC find please. in MB or was it GB

I further consider there is a VERY fair chance that the slowness is caused by the use of Avast. and spybot and spyware blaster. That is NOT meant in any way as any critcism of any of those individually or indeed Avast with EITHER

With ONLY 1Gb of ram and NO chance of increasing it, as that is the MAX that board can use, it is vital that we minimise as far as possible all running calls on your resources, except for those you wish to open and run.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK. Give me a day or two to implement your recommendations and then I'll let you know how things are.

Edited by benny_b, 22 February 2012 - 05:57 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
O(K wait to hear from you whatt were the answers to the questions in my last just as a matter of interest

My third para.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Sorry for the tardy reply. There seems to be the possiblity of file corruption on my F drive. I'm in the process of moving many G's of files. I shall return.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK good luck wait to hear from you