Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slow network performance + updates not installing

• Please log in to reply

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
So my F drive is 100G lighter now. I ran a WinDLG quick scan and it said the drives are OK. I'm reluctant to run the Extended Scan or chkdsk, but I suppose I will have to something about that. On Thursday, there was an Error 55 with "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume F:."

I also uninstalled Avast, Spybot and Spywareblaster, then installed WSE. It's running OK. I haven't seen a big bump in performance, but maybe I need a day or two to see how it's working out.

I forgot what the TFC scan said. I think Ron and I cleaned Temp files by running a script in OTL,but I'm not sure.

I'm around again. If you are available we can continue.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
So now you have MSE installed will it now go windows update and does that work without a problem.

You are going to have to run another chkdsk /r on that external.
If you have VALUABLE data on there, back it up before you run it just in case.

It is no use whatsoever, continuing with a drive that is reported as having a corrupt file system.

1. If it has a backup on it and you need to use it in anger - it may not work

2. If it has an image backup and remember of course that an image is a backup but a backup is not necessarily an image and you are relying on that image to restore your system if disaster occurred, you may face just another disaster.

3. You need to run the chkdsk /r.
and then get the results from event viewer
application in left pane
winlogon in main window
if you click application and then click source heading on the colume it will sort them for you and winlogon or ONE of the winlogon will be the chkdsk results - if you gothere straight after chkdsk it will be the most recent.

You then simply click once on the double page symbol and then click paste to a doc or to this message panel on your reply.

If you save to a doc first please copy and paste the results here - not attach the doc as a file.
The reason I ask that is, you can imagine the number of files I would have to open, if every thread I helped on sent them as files.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Windows Update has now become incredibly slow. The searching for Updates took several minutes to complete. It normally completes in seconds. All of the updates listed said that they were downloaded, but not installed. I tried to install this one "Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)" and it said the following updates failed to install. The rest of the updates which I didn't try to install were security patches for Office 2003.

OK. so there's more to this. In Automatic Updates I normally have "Notify me when updates become available." When I installed MSE, it switched the Automatic Updates to ON and automatically downloaded the updates I needed. So when I turned off the computer last night it installed them before shutting down. I started Windows Updates today and it is still very slow scanning for updates, but it found another 13 high priority updates all pertaining to Office 2003, including a download of Office SP3, which I already have.

My preference is to have Windows notify me when updates become available.

Edited by benny_b, 25 February 2012 - 08:00 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

All of the updates listed said that they were downloaded, but not installed. I tried to install this one "Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)" and it said the following updates failed to install.

Would you please explain a little further

ALL of the updates listed said they were downloaded but NOT installed.
I tried to install this ONE.

How many updates were downloaded.
How many of those failed to install

Also do other sites you visit also take long to open.

In respect of the update SP1 for visual C it was issued in JULY 2011 - and looking at your installed updates, which are many around that time - I presume it has FAILED before.
For that ONE go here please and try a direct download.
You want the last of the three the first two are for 64 bit
http://www.microsoft...ang=en&id=26368

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK. Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to explain this again from the beginning.

My normal procedure has been to select "Notify me when updates become available" in the Automatic Update in Control Panel. Once a week I selected Windows Update in the Start Menu to go to the Windows Update site. From there, I would select "Custom", get scanned and get the list of all High Priority, Optional and Hardware Updates available. I would select the High Priority Updates and have them downloaded and installed. Since late last year in December, following the restoration of my product key and following the procedure outlined above the updates that I had selected and downloaded have failed to install. I would get a window saying' "The following updates have failed to install..." If I immediately went back to Windows Update and checked for updates, it would show me the same updates, but their download size would be 0.0 MB. Prior to this event in December, ALL updates had downloaded and installed successfully. Since December, I have resorted to manually searching for each individual update on Windows Downloads, downloading and installing it. I assume these have all successfully installed, because when I recheck Windows Updates again the High Priority Updates shows "(O)".

Yesterday I installed MSE. It turned Automatic Updates to "ON", then updates were automatically downloaded and much later installed when I shutdown my computer. Prior to Shutdown, I did not know this was happening, so in an effort to fix my update problems I went to Windows Updates on my own, and selected the one update I mentioned. It said the download size was 0.0 MB. I clicked on the button to install and I got the window, "The following Updates have failed to install..." However, when I shutdown the update was installed.

I checked Windows Updates today and that update, "Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)" is no longer in the list of High Priority Updates, so I assume this means it has been successfully installed. There are now another 13 High Priority Updates pertaining to Office 2003 waiting to be installed.

So, in the end it seems that "Automatic Updates" works?, but I am unable to install software by manually selecting using "Windows Update".

My preference is to have Windows, "Notify me when updates become available.", so I can select, download and install updates at my convenience.

Why Windows Updates is asking me to install an update from last July is a mystery to me, as I have never had an update fail to install until last December. Perhaps this is update is related to Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit that Ron asked me to install about one month ago? If so, why did it take a month to find this security hole? I have noticed this problem of late where I'm being asked to install security updates from years ago, but I was hoping to fix the installation problem before adding yet another problem.

Sorry for the long post, but things seemed a bit mixed up. I hope this has clarified the problem.

On another note, I will need to look into the F: drive problem a bit more. It's a raid 1 array and I have read that it's not advisable to run chkdsk on it as is.

Edited by benny_b, 25 February 2012 - 10:56 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes MSE does configure auto updates.

Simply go Control Panel Security and configure updates for what you wish
Download and I will choose when to install or Notify me

I would install the high priority for the Office 2003.

I always have it set on notify me.
That allows you to dedicate the connection to the updates, rather than the updates trying to use the connection, when you also want to use it.

I have just read all the posts and if I have missed it I apologise. I did see it was a WDC My Book, but I did not know that that drive was a two disc capable of being configured RAID1.
I have insufficient knowledge of RAID except to know that of course the files are saved to one drive and are then backed up on the second drive.
I DO NOT know if a chkdsk can be run.
However you have of course already run the WD disk analysis
http://wdc.custhelp....vMjhVc1NCUms%3D

and I think you SHOULD run it extended mode - if only for the reasons I mentioned in my post 47.

Re the Security update for SPI update to VisualC 2008

If you go windows updates and after it has scanned click in the left pane, review update history - then click on the colum headings it will sort them for you, so that you can review all failed updates - HOWEVER a failure may be later replaced with a successful.

If you go Control Panel add/remove programs, click the small box show updates, you will then see immediately if that update has been installed.

I am more than willing to continue, but I think the best option from your point of view is to sort out F drive, and then continue if you still have concerns.

If you wish to review the latest errors in the event viewer, you may either go Control Panel, Admin Tools, event viewer, click
Application in left pane and then on the column heading click it and all errors will appear at the top/
And the same with system. in the left pane.

Alternatively and easier to many aspects is to use this software.
Please follow this guidance for event viewer.

Change the dates please to as required to cover the problem

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application - ( RUN on this first with ERROR)
    • System - (RUN on this second with ERROR)
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:
NOTE do not select before MSE install otherwise it will swamp you
Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) say a week ago pls.
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
OK. I'll see what I can do about the F: drive.

So far the Event Log has been clear today.

Using Automatic Updates turned "ON" yesterday, three updates were successfully installed and one was not.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/02/2012 12:10:37 AM
Type: error Category: 8
Event: 20 Source: Windows Update Agent
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024002d: Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3).

I just made another attempt to use Windows Update from the Start Menu. I chose "custom" update, it found 13 High-Priority Updates and I chose only one update "Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB2584052)" to see if it would work. Again, it downloaded, but failed to install. I got the "Some updates failed to install..." message.

Edited by benny_b, 25 February 2012 - 06:09 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To determine the status of the Office Source Engine service, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
  • In the list of services, double-click Office Source Engine.
  • View the Startup type list.
  • If the startup type is set to Disabled, change the startup type to Manual. To do this, click Manual in the Startup type list, and then click OK.
  • Try to install the Office update again.
Re the latter update you mention it WILL NOT install because

Prerequisites to apply this security update
To apply this security update, you must have Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Microsoft Office 2003 installed on the computer.

Are you saying that ONE of the updates was Office 2003 Service Pack 3 as that was issued 17/9/2007 - ?

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Office Source Engine was already set to Manual.

I already have Microsoft Office SP3 installed, so I don't understand why I need to install it again.

Edited by benny_b, 25 February 2012 - 08:04 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I AM NOT saying that you do - I am asking was that ONE offered as I read your post as saying it was

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024002d: Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3).

]

Try installing this

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8483

the last one on the list xp 86 - that is the 32 bit that you have

Advertisements

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Sorry, I missed the last line in your post.

Yes, "Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) Date last published: 6/10/2008", was automatically downloaded on Friday night, but failed to install. The other three High Priority Updates that were downloaded at the same time did install.

This is another update in the list of ones I've yet to download. I do not have this program. Security Update for Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (KB943973). Date last published: 2/12/2008

I also installed Windows Installer as you asked.

Edited by benny_b, 26 February 2012 - 11:31 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well the ONLY answer can be that Windows Update, thinks that you do NOT have SP3 for the Office suite installed, so it is offering the update.
Then it is failing either BECAUSE you do have it installed OR the Office program is corrupted.

Re the other update, you do as it is part of the office suite

MS08-011: Description of the security update for Microsoft Works File Converter: February 12, 2008
Prerequisites
You must have Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed to apply this security update.

I REGRET to tell you this, but I do not think you will sort out these updates, clearly the general requirements for updating are working, as some updates do install.

There is a chance I think, and I am not sure if anyone could tell you for certain that your probelms IN RESPECT of OFFICE maybe related to the use of the Windows Installer Cleanup
You ran that on 5/1/10 - I do not know if you have had the update probelms since then, but that tool was withdrawn by Microsoft becuase of problems
Important The Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe) that was previously referred to in this article was discontinued. Although the Windows Installer Cleanup utility resolved some installation problems, it sometimes damaged other components that were installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool was removed from the Microsoft Download Center

This withdrawal by Microsoft was becuase of problems with the Office program when the clean up was run.
It was withdrawn just after you used it.

IF YOU do not HAVE ANY problems using the Office program, the you may decide just to ignore thisd apparent glitch
OR if you have the Office install media you can insert that and run a repair of OFFICE

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Unfortunately I do not have an installation disc for Office. Office seems to working fine. Is there any way to remove the Office SP3 download I received on Friday as it keeps trying to install itself?

Also, I'm still getting this system event. Is there anything that needs to be corrected here?

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/02/2012 12:46:43 PM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1003 Source: Dhcp
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 009096726AB2. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly the DHCP error
I have just been reading the malware thread when you were with RKinner (Ron) and as we are back to that error, which you had when you were with him, the answers are the same of course, CHECK the settings of the card, Right click properties, button for the adaptor, check there that settings are correct and of course on your modem/router.
It MAYBE loss of signal from the router.

or at cmd prompt
  • Open a command window.
  • Type the commands:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
  • Type the command exit to close the command window.
OR

Windows XP (through the GUI):

• Open the control panel Network Connections.
  • Identify the icon for the interface connecting to the cable modem, right-click it, and select Repair.
  • Close the Network Connections window.
  • [The Repair feature is also available as a button on the Support tab of the Status window for the connection].
ALSO go all the way through this -

How do I setup DHCP on my Windows XP system?

Confirm your Ethernet card is installed properly, by clicking on the Start and Control Panel icon and selecting View System Information.

Click the Hardware tab and then Click on the Device Manager. If there is no Network Adaptor listed, then your computer does not have a properly installed network card and you should contact your computer manufacturer for support.

• Begin by opening the Windows XP Control Panel. Click the Start button, then select Control Panel.
  • Click on the link labelled Network Connections to see a list of your network connections. Double-click on the icon labelled Local Area Connection to configure your network connection. (Note: If you do not see this icon, your Network Interface Card may be improperly installed.)
    Posted Image
  • The following dialog box should appear:
    Posted Image
  • Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties. The following dialog box should appear:
    Posted Image
  • Select the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically options. Click on Advanced . The following dialog box should appear:
    Posted Image
  • Ensure that the Default gateways box is empty; otherwise, select each entry and click on the Remove button. Select the DNS tab. The following dialog box should appear:
    Posted Image
  • Remove the check mark beside the Register this connection's addresses in DNS option.
  • Ensure that the DNS server addresses, in order of use and Append these DNS suffixes (in order) boxes are empty; otherwise, select each entry and click the Remove button.
  • Select the WINS tab. Ensure that the WINS addresses, in order of use box is empty; otherwise, select each entry and click the Remove button.
  • Click OK to close the Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog box.
  • Click OK again to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Settings dialog box.
  • Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box. Windows may copy some files and then ask to restart your computer.
  • Click Yes to do so.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I ran cmd and then went through the DHCP set up. The only setting I needed to change was under the DNS tab in Advanced, I unticked the box beside, "Register this network's connections in DNS".

So that's it then? Was there anything else I needed to do?