Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow network performance + updates not installing

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Whether or NOT it is it only time will tell.

I still cannot weigh up those updates,

Did you check on the Windows update site for Update history - its a commonly missed feature that you can click the column heading to sort them

If you go windows updates and after it has scanned click in the left pane, review update history - then click on the colum headings it will sort them for you, so that you can review all failed updates - HOWEVER a failure may be later replaced with a successful.

Advertisements

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
My Update History goes back three days. there's only the four aformentioned Automatic Updates which were all installed on Saturday Feb 25, at 12:30am

Update for Office 2003 (KB907417) Successful

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243) Successful

Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) Unsuccessful

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB2597968) Successful

I suppose this wouldn't be of any help, "Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft....?LinkId=23127."

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
which UPDATE history are you referring to - only goes back 3 days

link is to search only, but I strongly suspect it will only be to event viewer.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Did you check on the Windows update site for Update history - its a commonly missed feature that you can click the column heading to sort them

The Update History in Windows Update goes back four days. There's only the four aforementioned Automatic Updates which were all installed on Saturday Feb 25, at 12:30am:

Update for Office 2003 (KB907417) Successful

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243) Successful

Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) Unsuccessful

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB2597968) Successful

Hopefully this link will work, "How to enable Windows Installer Logging in XP": http://support.micro....com/kb/314852. Just wondering if it is worth checking out.

I did follow through yesterday with the instructions in your post #59. However this morning I am still getting this system warning:

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/02/2012 8:41:49 AM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1003 Source: Dhcp
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 009096726AB2. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Edited by benny_b, 27 February 2012 - 08:23 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If your update history on the Microsoft site only goes back three days, then clearly either YOU have not been updating via there OR, for some reason it is not recognising your computer, as having an update history.

When you go to Windows update it searches your computer for installed updates and then offers those it does NOT find.

The link - again does not work.

Are you still receiving DHCP errors after my post 59 offered resolution.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I had been checking Update History in Windows Update prior to your suggstion. Previously, Update History used to go up until December 15, 2011 and then suddenly stop. This was the point of my Product Key Renewal and the start of my update problems. After I installed MSE, my Update History began at the time of MSE installation. It seems to me that after I installed MSE my Update History was flushed.

Are you still receiving DHCP errors after my post 59 offered resolution.

Yes, I am still recieving dhcp warnings after your post 59 offered resolution.

Sorry about the link. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Try this: http://support.micro....com/kb/314852. If not, you can scroll down the page under Search Results the first link should be "How to enable Windows Installer error logging in Windows XP."

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. The update history is in a folder in Windows, Software Distribution
I have never known the Installation of MSE to cause this problem.

Nothing else I have suggested could delete that folder.

2. I have had a look, yes if you wish you could run the FIX for that windows installer error logging.
I do not think it will do much good.
As MOST install and those that do not have the error code.
ONE for instance was a security update for Microsoft Office which was only applicable to Office with SP3 and as that SP3 had just failed, albeit you say you have SP3 for Office 2003 - the other update was bound to fail.

3. I cannot discuss Malware, as only qualified malware advsiors may do so, but when you installed MSE it automatically scanned.
What was the result please.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

The update history is in a folder in Windows, Software Distribution

I looked in Software Distribution. There is a text file, "ReportingEvents". Do you wish me to paste this? The first entry is, "2012-02-21 09:47:33:074-0500"

The MSE scan that took place after installation did not find anything amiss. Under the History Tab in MSE there is nothing. I could not find any scan log files, if they exist,to show you.

3. I cannot discuus Malware, as only qualified malware advsiors may do so,...

So does this mean you are suspecting my problems are malware related?

Edited by benny_b, 27 February 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I am not qualfied to even make that assumption, I was simply enquiring if MSE offered any clue as to why we have the missing history, as I knew it carries out a scan as soon as you install it.

I do not need the logs if you wish to see them

For Windows XP
Extremely detailed log files (open with notepad)

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Support

Install log, upgrade log, etc.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support

Re the Software Distribution if that is the first entry, as the log starts with the earliest date then that is the reason for the update problem with the Review Update History. - but as to what has caused it - I am sorry to say I do not know.

3. How often does this DHCP error occur.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
The DHCP errors occur at least once a day, and I think it occurs when I first boot my computer. Sometimes it occurs twice, sometimes several times in quick succession. I do not see a pattern. Perhaps, it's after I reboot after a software change? I can try a reboot and see if it happens.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am just occasionally forgetting what we have done now, but we are on post 70

Have we checked in services that the DHCP service is set automatic and have we also checked that the dependencies are set.

Also open a cmd prompt and type
SC QC DHCP

You should see this
[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: dhcp
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : TDI
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : DHCP Client
DEPENDENCIES : Tcpip
: Afd
: NetBT
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

DO YOU PLEASE or are there additional entries.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Have we checked in services that the DHCP service is set automatic and have we also checked that the dependencies are set.

I followed your instructions in post #59 on how to set up DHCP on windows XP. Everything is now set up the same way.

DHCP is set to Automatic. Based on a list I found on the Microsoft site for XP, I reset all Services to their default settings. Several years ago I had disabled a number of "Remote" services as I had read there were some security risks. I believe that everything is as it should be now.

Also open a cmd prompt and type
SC QC DHCP

There were no additional entries. Entries were exactly the same.

Edited by benny_b, 27 February 2012 - 03:40 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is router/modem is my bet.

Can you change channel and security.

If the modem broadcasts wireless N, your network card will certainly not be N.
N is backwards compatible with wireless b/g but if it is an N modem/router set it b/g

Also check the modem/router for general settings ie: Open, AES, etc and ensure your network card is configured that way.

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Can you change channel and security.

I was sharing channel 6 with my neighbour's very powerful router, so I changed that. I'm using WPA TKIP encrytion. How would you suggest I change this?

The router is set to "mixed b/g".

Also check the modem/router for general settings ie: Open, AES, etc and ensure your network card is configured that way.

I don't know what these settings are or how to compare these settings between my router and card. Please advise.

Edited by benny_b, 27 February 2012 - 05:57 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I was sharing channel 6 with my neighbour's very powerful router

NOW I hope you will not be annoyed after all the time we have spent together, but DOES your neighbour KNOW

As regards the rest of the settings - how can I advise when it is NOT your router.

I have simply selected netgear at random to show what I mean
http://forum1.netgea...ead.php?t=52757