Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow network performance + updates not installing

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well WOT says it is Ok, but I am not sure if I would recommend it
http://driverscollec.../?file_id=18879

As far as I can see the Ali.com was part of Acer Laboratories and then sold off to Uli and then to Nvidia and now I think long gone as regards easily finding drivers.

This one may be the better bet, but I still see it as a last resort before a reinstall
http://www.nvidia.co...li_drivers.html

and I cannot find it on Toshiba site having just spent 30 minuites searching.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I pulled the maintenance manual for Toshiba Satellite A20 -S259...
that system is 10 years old with minimal specs compared to newer computers...
that would explain the slow performance
exactly what problems are you experiencing now

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm still backing up my harddrive with about 25% left to go. Then I'll need to run some scans and then decide what to do next. So, I'd like to finish fixing my HD before I spend more time on this. So, I'll be at it for at least a couple of days.

As far as performance issues go. The laptop is old, but was running fine until a couple of months ago. That's when it started taking ages to boot and then the programs were loading slowly and there was fragements of windows hanging around for several seconds after the program had closed. I thought we had identified the wireless adapter as the problem. We tried a new driver which didn't seem to help. I don't know if replacing the wireless device is the answer. Maybe it's just too old and things have started to fail.

I have seen an improvement in boot time, but there's still some lag with opening/closing programs. It's been so long now that I'm starting to forget what normal performance was.

I do not have a recovery CD, but I noticed one was available for download from Toshiba.

Edited by benny_b, 05 March 2012 - 09:17 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Post again please when you have completed the backup and you are ready and either happyrock or both of us, will no doubt continue to try and assist.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you got this one MAC...you don't need me... :thumbsup:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
where are we at on this...

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I'm still working on my HD

benny_b

benny_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi Guys,

My Basement has flooded, so I do not see myself working on my computer anytime soon. I'll get back to it when I can.

Thanks for all your help.

Ben