Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

partition problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
hello,

my friend came to me saying he was running out of disk space on his pc and that he needed help replacing the HDD with a new one.
after he bought a 640 GB drive, i cloned the original 80GB drive to the 640 GB drive.
after this was done i wanted to create a new partition with the unallocated space that was left of the 640GB.
so this is what i did went into disk management right clicked on the unallocated space to create the new partition but it wouldnt let me create a partition its grey'ed out for what ever reason.
i tried using G-parted to extend the c:\ drive with the rest of the free space and g-parted is saying the is only 8Mb to extend the volume with.
so i created a new partition using gparted and was going to move my documents etc. to that drive and tell him to install new programs on to that drive.
but after i booted up windows XP and went in to my computer it didnt show the new partition i just created.
so i went back into disk management and its saying its a unknown partition.
at this point i'm kinda lost, i'm used to fix hardware problems and not software related problems.

the pc is is running on Windows XP mediacentre edition 2002 with SP3

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Dennis

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
problem solved with G-parted, there was a hidden partition that i missed after i deleted that i was able to add the free space to the c:\ drive

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :thumbsup: