Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to detect or install Windows Xp on SATA

• Please log in to reply

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I just ordered a 250 gb SATA by Maxtor and i am unable to install it.. i've tried many forums and unable to get anything from their helps. i was reading one on this forum and it still didn't help me out. i'm having tons of trouble with it. I tried following instructions under Slayer666's topic but was unable to. I don't have a driver floppy for it. Well first of all this is how it goes. i try to run windows xp setup on it and it says "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer." please help me...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is the drive attached to a native (motherboard) sata controller or a pci addon card?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You have to install Sata drivers during the XP install, Xp will say at the bottom of the screen to press F6 to install third patry drivers at this point you need to insert a floppy with the drivers on it and press F6.

These drivers are usually supplied by the motherboard manufactuer so go to there website and look for a download for the drivers if they did not come with your motherboard. They maybe on the cd that came with the motherboard and you will have to copy them to a floppy using another machine

What motherboard do you have?

Rick

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
my hard drive is connected to my mainboard not a pci card. i have a Abit NF7 Series Motherboard. Yeah, i am using my brother's computer to write all this stuff in the forum and searching around to see what i can figure out. i have the driver cd right now and the SATA folder is 3.52 mbs so won't fit into floppy but in the SATA folder there is another folder that says Disk, is it that folder? its only 308 kb so not sure if that is the right thing to copy but yeah I'm only 17 so knowledge is really limited lol.. and i built my computer like 1 year ago and never dealed with a sata before so thanks for the help..keep it coming i appreciate it.

Edited by ballistik kevin, 02 June 2005 - 08:16 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Abit usually provides the sata drivers on a floppy that comes with the board so look around for it, if you can find it that would be easiest just put it in at the F6 prompt and your good to go. If you can't find the floppy look on the Abit website and download it I know its there some where.

Rick

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
yeah i know... it comes with a floppy but i didn't know what it was when built it and i didn't have it in my box and it was laying around somewhere and now i can't find it...i'm stressing out about this.....sigh... anyways thanks...

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
heres a link to your driver. it will be the first choice listed to download.

get that onto the floppy, then start the windows install. when it prompts press F6 to install 3rd party drivers, do so, then select S for scsi drivers. it will grab the driver from the floppy, and continue loading.
that will get you going. install the mobo drivers after windows finishes up, and your all set.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Go here number 5 on the list

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
audioboy is correct follow his advce and you will be fine

good job audioboy

Rick

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Wooo Hooo.... found the floppy... but also creating one right now too tahnk you very much you guys... i will be having more questions soon.... well... i already know what they are if they it does work.. there anyway i can run ide hard drives as slave under this one? probably not but if there is answer back.. thank you very much you guys i really appreciate this...but wait i haven't figured if it really has worked yet so let me try.. it and see if ti really works first..

Advertisements

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
okay.... i'm lost now... which one do i pick after F6???? intel® 82801er SATA Raid Controller for Windows XP & 2000? Silocon Image Sil 3112 SATA RAID Controller for Windows XP? Silocon Image Sil 3112 SATA RIAD Controller for windows 2000? Silicon Image Sil 3114 Sata Raid Controller for Windows Xp/Server 2003?

Edited by ballistik kevin, 02 June 2005 - 09:01 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sure, you can run the IDE drive no problem. as long as the IDE drive is not listed in the boot menu options, your machine will boot to the sata. the IDE will act just like any other secondary drive at that point.

let us know how it goes!

thanx doby- your link would work too. I just beat you to it! :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
try the sil 3112, then the sil 3114. it shouldnt be the intel driver, you dont have an intel chipset. your not using win2000, so that rules that one out.

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Oh man.. its not working... i picked sil 3112 then it went into loading then went into picking if i wanted to install or repair. i chose install fresh copy and it said the same thing it did earlier.....then i restarted trying to load floppy and it doesn't work.. hrm.. i don't know why there is soo much problem.. just by reading what you guys tell me what to do it should work perfectly. i'll let you guys know if more stuff comes up. thank you

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, check in bios to make sure you have the onboard sata controller enabled. it should be under integrated peripherals, then the onchip PCI, then down once more into onboard PCI. both sata should be on.

then back out to boot order, make sure boot to other device is enabled.

everything in the manual for that board refers to the SIL 3112 driver for sata.