Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to detect or install Windows Xp on SATA

• Please log in to reply

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
dont you have to give windows the drivers to be able to see it/use it as a recognisable drive?

Advertisements

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i have no clue... i'm clueless..... that is why i'm here for help....

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
forget windows if your sata utility on your mobo dont find the drive windows never will regardless of how many drivers you put in

if the mobo found the drive then yes you would have to press F6 to install the driver during setup of windows as this lad has learnt by now i think

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
so no point in moving on????? dang......

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
and if your mobo has not found it by now and you have connected the drive according to help on this page i would take the hdd out and if u can, take it to a local shop and ask them to test it or if u have a friend with a running system with sata get it plugged in there and see if it works

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
the best i can do is probably get a pci card right??? or is that pointless too???

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
dont bother spending anymore money until you know if the drive actually works now

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
or u can install windows on an ide drive install your sata utilty and see if that tells you anything but i would try to check the drive elsewhere

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
erm, if anyone wants to add me to MSN and install the S-ATA drivers for me... that would be great as ive tried and tried and tried to install it AFTER windows has been installed on an IDE with no success. My system manager both raid drivers have got little yellow n black exclamation marks by them due to me uninstalling the drivers for the IDE raid. i did that because it wouldnt accept the SATA 1's so i thought it might not like 2 raid drivers for different things, but i still couldnt install the sata.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
grimpingu i dont live far from you

Advertisements

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Oh yea, i never look at where people live ;).

Off hand do you know where i could buy some screws for my PC? - my mobo is mounted using 2 screws and no spacers, m hard drives are supported by screws that r miles 2 small ad are hangin in there basicly, its only the CD roms and PCI/AGP cards that r in properly.

any good shops in blackburn to get some? - i must admit that i havent looked for any but i need one of those sets with like about 10 different types of screws in.

If you dont, its not a life or death thing... ill jut have to order from OCuk again :help:

i still need help on getting those system files onto a floppy though :tazz:

Edited by GrimPingu, 05 June 2005 - 12:52 PM.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
i will add u to msn now accept i will talk to u there

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
wow, I go out on a saturday night, and come back tofind 46 new posts in this thread!
alright kevin, lets get back to it. the maxtor drive has the option of the standard 4 pin power connnection, or the newer sata power connection. its fine to use wither one, but NOT BOTH. I dont think you did that, but I want to make sure you dont.

the fact that the maxblast software didnt detect the drive points to something wrong with that drive...hopefully you have had a chance to check it out in a friends pc or a shop.
did you buy it online or at a local store?

as for the price, you payed just over 50 cents a gigabyte- that is really cheap!

I have a maxtor sata drive, so I know they work. you might have a bad one, so see what you can do for testing, etc.

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thanks audioboy... yeah in fact my friend had his computer over.. and is running his sata hard drive from a pci card and i tested his pci card on my computer and it didn't work then i tested my hard drive on his whole system and it didn't work.. i got this hard drive off the internet...off of newegg.com.... i'm debating on if i should return my order and get the 250gb harddrive from maxtor which is a diamond with 16 cache and is regular ata 133.. i'll just add i think 10 bucks with a restocking fee of 20 dollars or something like that because its 15% restocking fee... but yeah should i do um... straight replacement or should i do the diamond 250gb with 16 cache? i think i might go with that one because i wouldn't have to deal with sata because i've had enough of it :tazz:... but yeah i don't think it would have been this hard if it wasn't the drive... because of the steps it was pretty straight forward... but thanks audioboy and Geeks to Go Crew (Staff) i appreciate all the help.. i'll be back... ;) this isn't my last message on this topic... but yeah audioboy answer back on this question....

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
since the drive doesnt appear to be working, I would RMA it, get a replacement.
personally I prefer 2 smaller drives, use one for the system drive, and one to store data on. I dont know if they would let you return that one and switch to 2 smaller drives, but it wouldnt hurt to ask. definitely exchange it though, since that drive is hosed.