Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC issues

• Please log in to reply

jammerman0101

jammerman0101

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
New PC runs windows 7 . Click on pages pages show they recognised being clicked but nothing happens often . Play videos in youtube they load and load sometimes ,,then if they play and I want to go to next video in series and click video text darkens showing recognision of command but will not budge .I have latest java and flash player .Also I disabled the Bing toolbar and got google that seemed to help a little and I changed the home page from emachine to about blank . And did step 5 of the flashplayer trouble shooter deleting browser flash info . I also run the latest Realplayer and download videos the first use resulted in 3 movies burn to disc incomplete or appearing to get stuck at some point and if this whatever gets in my toaster I aint going to eat until it says so ! I use a router and my Vista PC is next to this one so I can see Vista running as usual while this Windows 7 64bit flounders :( I run Avast free antivirus first thing downloaded .What is my problem besides having rotten parents that didn't pay for college ???? :help: I have all the updates which poured in like rain this week .

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

What is my problem besides having rotten parents that didn't pay for college ????

Wow! Are you starving? Got shoes? Clothes? A roof over your head? A clean, warm, dry bed at night? Did they waste all the money on drugs or booze? Did they beat you and lock you in the basement? Did you at least get a job to pay for these TWO computers and router so you can PLAY GAMES and watch videos to amuse yourself while you complain about how hard a life you have? :angry:

Maybe if they had a son that showed a little respect, maybe if he bothered to understand how the economy is struggling, how health care costs are increasing multiple times higher than inflation, how the banks had no inkling of compassion, maybe your parents could have catered to your whims a little more. Or maybe if you tried harder in high school, you might have gotten some scholarships to help pay your own way. :(

Yeah, sorry, but you hit a nerve. I had a full time job and carried a full load through college, and managed a 3.695 GPA so I have no sympathy. Grow up! You owe your parents a sincere apology. Regardless how "rotten" a life you have had, posting that remark in a public site was disrespectful, uncalled for, and pretty "rotten" of you.

If you want a college education (the one thing about you I have seen that deserves any respect), give back to society and join the military - they will teach you a skill, some humility, and they have some of the best education benefits around.

Now to your problem, you told us nothing about this computer, besides it is new and runs Win7 64-bit, and I assume is an eMachine. What are the computer specs? Did these problems with pages and videos not displaying properly happen from day one? What browser? What add-ons?

jammerman0101

jammerman0101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
look I was making a joke about my folks but truth is my father broke some bones when i was 3 that kept me out of the army and my mother ODed on drugs when i was 6 so i don't need your smug advice on life just help with my PC or you can continue being a jerk ? I think I said it runs windows 7 has trouble opening pages playing video and staying signed in to multiply.com what do you need ? running IE 9 yes the issues started pretty early on got it thursday and now it's tuesday 5 days . 1 TB 3 GB windows 7 home premium .it had all the updates flashplayer and java emachine EL1358G MODEL AMD Athlon(2.75GB useable) 2.80 GHz 64-bitOperating System service pack 1

Edited by jammerman0101, 21 February 2012 - 10:02 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

look I was making a joke about my folks ... so i don't need your smug advice on life just help with my PC or you can continue being a jerk ?

We all have our sob stories, some much worse than what you claim. So call it what you want, your comment was out-of-line, uncalled for, disrespectful, and had absolutely no bearing on your computer problem. Therefore, you should not have said it - even if a [sick] joke. This is a technical support forum where computer repair and computer and network security are taken seriously, very seriously. Hurtful, distasteful jokes don't belong here. Got it?

As to your problem, assuming you have updated Windows and all the necessary drivers, and have ensured your system is free of malware, and looking at your system specs, my guess at this point is you just do not have enough resources to do what you want to do. While 4Gb of installed RAM should be enough, with only 2.75Gb usable, that indicates are very large chunk is being dedicated for the integrated graphics. And as can be seen here, that 6150SE integrated graphics is pretty far down the list of low-end graphics solutions.

While that amount of RAM is enough for Windows itself, it leaves very little for other resource-intensive applications, like essential security applications, let alone any "productivity" programs. 8Gb of RAM is the "sweetspot" for dual-channel motherboards with 64-bit Windows so I would recommend you budget for more RAM. Then a new graphics card. However, also per your specs, and not surprisingly that computer comes with a measly 220W power supply. So before upgrading to a better graphics solution, you will likely need a new PSU too.

In the meantime, you need to look at what is being loaded at startup and see what you don't need running then. And if me, I would consider uninstalling Norton and using Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Windows Firewall is already built into Windows and is perfectly suitable for the task. And MSE tends to be easier on resources and does not contain a bunch of "fluff" - unneeded features that take up valuable resources.

jammerman0101

jammerman0101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok do both . You were out of line taking my comment/joke like that . It was obviously a joke and you could have "chuckled" or ignored it completely but you choose to lecture me which is not in your area of expertice and was very dissrespectful to me suggesting you feel a sense of power from your position and have a need for that kind of thing which is an insecurity and basically means you like to appear "big" but feel "small" inside but in this forum you are becoming a god lol SAD dude ... My brother was the same way until my Grandmother shot him for bothering her while the Dukes of Hazard was on Tv . I just thought since people come in here all serious and lay their PC problems on you you might enjoy a chuckle but I have no sympathy for you BACK TO WORK ! LOL (THANKS for the actual PC comments ) :wacko:

jammerman0101

jammerman0101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok your saying yours is bigger than mine ? Got it ..Get RAM and I copy paste this in email to self for future reference as I save for RAM and consider suggestions . thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Pardon the interruption, but I feel compelled to apologize for Digerati's comments. They were inappropriate, and unprofessional. This community prides itself on the commitment and professionalism of our staff.

At times like this we are reminded that our staff our people too. Volunteers who donate their time and expertise. Your comment struck a chord with him, for which he felt compelled to reply. Lessons have been learned. I can assure you are in very good hands with Digerati, and he'll continue to offer you quality help--and more appropriate responses.

jammerman0101

jammerman0101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I too appologise for trying to be funny . I was actually pretty upset to have a new PC performing so badly and he did make some good suggestions .

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
And I do offer my apologies. As I noted, you hit a nerve, but I was wrong to let it interfere with my response.

I might suggest you use one of the emoticons in the future to show you are joking when it is not obvious, such as :lol: or ;) . Without hearing the tone of your voice, or the expression on your face, we can only go on the words you type.

jammerman0101

jammerman0101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The world is not a humorous place . I did a system restore since it only cost me 5 days of updates and a couple of adjustments .Seems to have fixed the biggest issues even after the updates and making some of the same adjustments such as Realplayer and the Google tool bar . I have to wonder if the highwinds weren't causing a bad connection and caused the updates to stop and go so much something wasn't completed right ? I had downloaded 3 movies and each one of them burned to 2/3 and stopped . Checking Realplayer library I found that was all it had .They had just not finished but had shown as complete . Before the restore I could not click the link in my inbox and come here .I would have a white page loading all day if I had let it but not today .Mail is smooth links function .Only one link to a story about a 30,000 year old plant restored from Russian premafrost refused to open out of hundreds . Compatibility veiw did reveal a State Farm insurance ad at the top but no more and I read the story on another page .I also had to re-sign in on the multiply.com site at every comment I made almost but not since the restore . Do download managers help . Would that help Realplayer and updates ?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The world is not a humorous place

No, sadly, it is not. But fortunately, there are plenty of good places for it all around us.

Seems to have fixed the biggest issues even after the updates and making some of the same adjustments such as Realplayer and the Google tool bar .

Backing up and starting over works for a lot of things in life. In the space of 5 days, there might have been multiple changes from multiple sources - not just Microsoft Updates - other software or hardware/driver updates, downloading/connection problems, hard disk/writing error, or a failed installation processes.

Glad System Restore helped. It is not bad at doing that, if you don't let the problem smolder for too many days.

Only one link to a story about a 30,000 year old plant restored from Russian premafrost refused to open out of hundreds . Compatibility veiw did reveal a State Farm insurance ad at the top but no more and I read the story on another page .I also had to re-sign in on the multiply.com site at every comment I made almost but not since the restore .

You could have had a bunch of corrupt cookies cause that. Running Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner will clean those out. You will have to sign in again to your favorite places, but hopefully not every time. You can keep favorite sites with CCleaner, which is good, as long as it is not one of those cookies that are corrupt.

Do download managers help

I don't do a lot of downloading, but my personal experience is downloaders fall in the category of useless resource hogs, and/or primary distribution methods badguys use to distribute their malware. I have a good cable connection with lots of bandwidth, so if I am having trouble downloading a motherboard manual from ASUS, I know the problem is on their end, not mine.

Would that help Realplayer and updates ? I don't see how downloaders can help with real-time streaming - or on-demand streaming. It would just get in the way. If your system had a big buffer, like 8Gb RAM, that would help. A decent big hard drive buffer of at least 32mb would help too. SSD is better.

Burning problems - I don't know. Again, more RAM can help there. With less RAM, you beat the sloooowww hard drive nearly to death banging on the Page File. And I know from my limited burning experience, if looking for coasters, buy cheap blanks.