Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to start windows XP

• Please log in to reply

gu3rra

gu3rra

• Pip
  • 4 posts
im trying to to a system recovery for windows xp pro but my computer wont boot up normally or in safe mode.
in safe mode I get a black screen (with no icons) with only safe mode in the four corners and the version of Windows at the top of the screen.
There is an error message that pops up.
It say: Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safe Mode. Setup will now restart.

windows normal boot - windows will not boot it will only go up to the windows loading screen and then it will restart itself.

my problem is that i dont have any cds for windows.
is there any other method to do system recovery without the use of cds
thank you for your help

Advertisements

gu3rra

gu3rra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
just a little background on the problem
it all started with a windows update followed with an automatic restart and then i received the error windows must now restart bacause the RPC service terminated unexpectedly.

please note that i have at least two other people trying to work on this problem and im not sure as to what they did to get the problem that i have now.

the only solution i can think of is to try to do a system recovery since i cant get windows to load anymore

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of the computer? Often there is a recovery partition on the hard drive you can access with a Fn key or key combination at boot time.

gu3rra

gu3rra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its an HP Media Center m7070n Desktop PC

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I think these are the instructions for your computer, see if they work:

Use the following steps to perform a recovery from the hard drive :

Backup files from the My Documents folder and from other folders you may have created.
Disconnect all connected devices (such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax), remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.
Turn on the computer.
Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:
To perform a standard system recovery, click Next , and then click Yes .
To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced , (select Destructive Recovery ) and then click Next .
CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer .
Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.
After the System Recovery is complete, the computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
NOTE:It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over several hours, depending on the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (for example, My Documents and the Desktop).
Before using your computer, update and protect your computer. For more information, refer to Things To Do After Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .
Reinstall applications that you added after purchasing the PC, and any files you need from backup.

Found here: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows XP)

gu3rra

gu3rra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
now see that's where i run into a major problem.
windows doesn't boot long enough to prompt me for the f10 key
and again if i try to run it in safe mode i get an error Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safe Mode. Setup will now restart.
the only option i know of is the f8 key but i'm unable to go anywhere from there.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check you system memory:
Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics