Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 boot problems ctrl+alt+dlt and nothing happens

• Please log in to reply

NerdNtraininG

NerdNtraininG

• Pip
  • 8 posts
this ones a bit tricky-

my wifes in another state away from me at the moment and doesnt have access to another computer but i can guide her through steps....that being said....

her hp g56 was working fine, and one day it stopped working!
she starts it up now and it loads the hp screen than blinks the dos prompt screen and cursor block. than says error hit ctrl+alt+dlt

she does this and brings her back to the same screen consistantly.
i know theres gotta be a way to fix this. the computer did not come with a windows 7 disk. or any boot disk of any kind....one of those ones where its bought and already loaded on and ready to go....

like i said there werent any problems with it before so if theres any solution that i can walk her through please let me know otherwise i guess give me a list of solutions and i will deal with it when im home. thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon

:surrender: :confused: :help:

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try having her boot to Safe Mode. Once there, open an Elevated Command Prompt and type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

Reboot and let chkdsk run to completion, see if that fixes the problem.

If not, the computer should have a recovery partition on the hard drive that you can access via a Fn key or a key combination at boot time. How varies with the manufacturer. The following is from the manual for a HP G56-126NR. It should be the same for all G56 laptops.

This will format the hard drive so any data will be lost as well as any software that has been installed since you purchased the computer.

Using f11
CAUTION: Using f11 completely erases hard drive contents and reformats the hard drive. All files
you have created and any software installed on the computer are permanently removed. The f11
recovery tool reinstalls the operating system and HP programs and drivers that were installed at the
factory. Software not installed at the factory must be reinstalled.
88 Chapter 7

Backup and recovery
NOTE: If your computer includes a solid-state drive (SSD), you may not have a recovery partition.
Recovery discs have been included for computers that do not have a partition. Use these discs to
recover your operating system and software. To check for the presence of a recovery partition, select
Start > Computer. If the partition is present, an HP Recovery drive is listed in the Hard Disk Drives
section of the window.
To recover the original hard drive image using f11, follow these steps:
1. If possible, back up all personal files.
2. If possible, check for the presence of the HP Recovery partition: select Start, right-click
Computer, click Manage, and then click Disk Management.
NOTE: If the HP Recovery partition is not listed, you must recover your operating system and
programs using the Windows 7 operating system DVD and the Driver Recovery disc (both
purchased separately). For additional information, refer to the “Using a Windows 7 operating
system DVD (purchased separately)” section in this guide.
3. If the HP Recovery partition is listed, restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press
the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
4. Press f11 while the “Press <F11> for recovery” message is displayed on the screen.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

NerdNtraininG

NerdNtraininG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
how do we get into safe mode with windows 7?

i do not know much about windows 7, shes just as oblivious as i. so which key would put in safe mode...i thot it was f8 but its not doing anything when she presses that.

NerdNtraininG

NerdNtraininG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
k so talked with her more and we tried the f8 i answered my own question.

but it doesnt even get far enough to enter safe mode is the real issue. it acts like the operating system is completely gone.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Without a Repair disc or a install disc I don't see any way to fix this other than to do a restore to factory state following the directions.

Hmmm, you can download a legal copy of the following:

Windows 7 Professional x86 (32-bit)
Windows 7 Professional x64 (64-bit)
Windows 7 Home Premium x86 (32-bit)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (64-bit)

They are .iso files that you use as input to a DVD burning program to create a bootable Windows 7 installation disc. I recommend using ImgBurnto do this. Burn at the slowest speed available, usually 4X.

Once ImgBurn is installed, start it, then click on Write image file to disc.
Navigate to where the downloaded .iso file is and select it as input.
Set the Write speed to 4X.
Click on Write at lower left of top window.

Once you have that, see here: How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7

Run it up to 3 times. I don't know why but this is some times necessary.

If that doesn't fix it then I would recommend using the F11 method to restore to factory state, but first backup any data as it will be lost. See my previous post abut this.

NerdNtraininG

NerdNtraininG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
alright thank you very much :) i will try and do that than. just thot there was possibly a fix that was simpler. but thank you

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Once you have a good Windows 7 disc, you can boot it to run chkdsk /r and see if that fixes the problem. Worth trying before doing anything more drastic. See here: Windows 7 & Vista - Running Checkdisk from a Boot CD/DVD or Windows Desktop