Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need info

• Please log in to reply

mrbeast

mrbeast

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a asus p5s800-vm motherboard with a sata hard drive in it. I want to know if i can take the ide hard drive from this computer and install it in the other one. The p5s800_vm comp sees the drive in bios but will not boot to windows. The windows xp page comes up loads then i get a flash of a blue screen. It is so fast that I can't get anything off the page.

Can I just unplug the sata drive and install the ide drive?

Edited by mrbeast, 21 February 2012 - 11:10 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I want to know if i can take the ide hard drive from this computer and install it in the other one.

What other one?

Understand that the vast majority of Windows licenses are OEM licenses and therefore if used/installed on one computer, it is illegal to use in another computer! They are not transferable and a new license must be purchased. If the first computer came with Windows preinstalled without disks, or if the disk is “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances.

Also note that technically moving a boot drive (one that has an OS installed on it and is placed in the boot position) to another computer often fails because Windows on that drive is configured to work with all the hardware and hardware drivers found in the old computer. When it sees a bunch of different hardware, it often chokes, does not know how to communicate with them.

Can I just unplug the sata drive and install the ide drive?

Not sure what you are trying to do, but the hardware is not the issue. If the motherboard supports both SATA and IDE, then you can physically use either drive, or both drives as storage devices on that computer. HOWEVER, to use one or the other as the boot drive, the BIOS Setup Menu must be set for the correct drive to be ahead of the other in the boot order. But again, that's the technical aspect - it does not address the legal aspect of the Windows license.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Both drives have the same version of windows on it(same lic). I have a winxp disk. I installed both windows on both drives.

The problem comp is a sata drive with windows xp service pack 3. I tried to run the repair on the disk and was told by set up that this was an older version of windows and cannot continue. so the drive must be working I just can't boot to it.
On start up first thing i see is... primary master ST3120213AS 111GB udmas 5 single
secondary master (sata device not found)
it then goes to windowsxp loading screen, then blue screen flash, then windows did not start properly... so i click on start in safe mode, shows drivers loading then a real quick flash of blue screen. I can't read anything it flashes so fast and comp reboots.

I tried all options on that page with the same results.

I have a diagnostics cd to check ram but it won't run. (it is bootable) yes I changed boot order in bios)
windows xp disk sees a newer version of windows but i can't boot to the drive.
there is a program on the machine sis raid bios setting utility disk status....
i enter raid set up utility it says not enough disk space can be created. (there is only win xp home edition on the drive.)

I have checked the bios and it is set to raid.

There is 1 beep on start up. It is a P5S800-vm motherboard 2.8ghz

Edited by mrbeast, 22 February 2012 - 07:18 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Both drives have the same version of windows on it(same lic).

And what kind of license is it? What does the original install disk say? That is what will determine if you can legally use that license on this new machine.

I have a diagnostics cd to check ram but it won't run. (it is bootable) yes I changed boot order in bios)

That is odd. Are you saying the computer will not boot to this disk, or that once booted, the diagnostics program fails? You might try one stick at a time.

Adding more to the confusion is the one beep - one beep typically indicates a successful POST - power-on self test. :confused:

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Both drives have the same version of windows on it(same lic).

And what kind of license is it? What does the original install disk say? That is what will determine if you can legally use that license on this new ows xp machine.
I have an winxp home edition disk with a cd key. I an using the same disk on this comp. version 2002.It says on the disk for distribution with a new PC only.

That is odd. Are you saying the computer will not boot to this disk, or that once booted, the diagnostics program fails? You might try one stick at a time.
Yes it will not boot to this cd. I get a black screen with the cursor in the top left corner then comp reboots.

Adding more to the confusion is the one beep - one beep typically indicates a successful POST - power-on self test. :confused:

I am thinking the the drivers are missing for the sata device.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
With XP, SATA drivers need to be installed during the Windows install process, typically by inserting a floppy or CD when prompted for SCSI drivers. The floppy or CD is created from the motherboard utilities disk.

Fortunately, both Vista and Windows 7 know how to communicate with SATA so special drivers do not have to be separately installed.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have the sata drivers on a disk. Problem now is that when prompted for the drivers, machine wants a floppy and wont accept the disk.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Problem now is that when prompted for the drivers, machine wants a floppy and wont accept the disk.

Won't accept what disk? The floppy disk?

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i do not have the drivers on a floppy they r on a cd. I do not have a floppy drive to make one. so I got the sata drivers on a cd.

Edited by mrbeast, 24 February 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Then it sounds like you need to buy or borrow a floppy drive and transfer it. That said, I don't really understand why, when prompted, you cannot tell the install program to use the CD - but then it has been awhile, maybe you cannot change that.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes i didnt see that option anywhere thank you for your help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, it may just be time to retire that decade+ old obsolete operating system and go with new hardware and an operating system designed to support that new hardware, and an OS that puts security first, and carry you years into the future.