Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viewing widescreen from computer on tv.

• Please log in to reply

trayd

trayd

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. I have a Dell Dimension 3000 (yeah I know, a dinosaur) with a Radeon 9250 graphics card which has vga and dvi-i outputs. I recently purchased a Toshiba 32" lcd tv. It has vga and hdmi inputs. I can connect to the tv with a the vga output, however the screen is cropped (pillarboxed). I tried to get a full screen through my video card but certain areas like 16:9 are greyed out. I'm wondering if this is because I'm connected with a vga cable. If so, would I get a better result using a dvi-i to hmdi cable? Or is something else the problem? I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi trayd

Your video card does not have enough VRam (video memory) to fill your screen and unfortunately your MB only has the standard PCI type slots (not express) so upgrade options are very limited.

trayd

trayd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I figured it was something like that. I guess it's just time to get rid of this relic. Thank you for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome - sorry it wasn`t better news.