Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with my graphics card situation.

• Please log in to reply

faniggler

faniggler

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I want to upgrade my current graphics card situation but I have a mini tower so it seems my options are limited. I was looking around and found a graphics card for mini towers but I am still unsure if I will still have enough physical space. I just recently realized that I wasn't even using the graphics card that is on my computer as is (I had to switch computer cases and I got really frustrated and just accepted what was readily available). I bought a DVI to VGA adapter, but it turned out that it was the incorrect DVI end. I have the worst luck with computers and was wondering if anyone could help me with what I should do.

I can give specs on my computer if needed, I just don't know which ones I should put here now...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: faniggler

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Cautionary note: SFF (small form factor) cases often have smaller less powerful PSUs (power supply units) which do not provide enough power output to support decent add on video cards.

faniggler

faniggler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well my computer case is a HP COMPAQ DC7700 SMALL FORM FACTOR PC

Is there something I can do about the power supply?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Is there something I can do about the power supply?

Sorry no, the present PSU is specifically for your PC, see http://www.palmtechn...t/view/id/3806/

faniggler

faniggler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So do I have no options?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

So do I have no options?

Replacing the case and PSU.

(I had to switch computer cases and I got really frustrated and just accepted what was readily available).

Tell us more about this, as in what happened.

faniggler

faniggler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well I am not 100% sure as to why EXACTLY I needed to switch cases but I'll try to explain it. I had a hp mini tower I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the tower but it was a newer hp mini tower. I believe it just got a virus. The easiest and shortest route that was available was to switch towers. I think the reason was the motherboard was the issue so I switched towers and motherboards. Again I'm not 100% sure so I apologize for sounding like a noob.

My original tower (with everything stock/out of the box) was a lot better than this it seems. I had to switch because I needed my computer for classes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Just a FYI, a MB does not get a virus.
Malware hides on your HDD and other storage devices and from there it causes anomalous behavior from your other hardware and software, a rather basic explanation and a malware tech could obviously explain it more appropriately.

faniggler

faniggler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Like I said, I'm not entirely sure as to why I had to switch. But I did. I think I may just end up waiting on doing anything with this computer. Unless... How hard would it be to take everything out of this computer and just put it in a bigger tower so I could have the space for a regular graphics card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
This will help http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively :thumbsup: