Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CRC Error's (and more)

• Please log in to reply

townie2

townie2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi gang. I've been trying to figure this one out for a little while. with larger RAR files, i always get 2 CRC Errors and they won't open, with either WinRAR or 7 Zip, happened last 3 large files in a row, but yesterday it didn't have a problem un RARing a smaller file from Giveawayoftheday, but it wouldn't auto install, it couldn't find the path to javascript to open and run it, had to go to command line to do it. it sounds weird, but its the best way to describe it, the computer seems forgetful, click on an icon sometimes, it can't find the program or path, though it's in the computer. sometimes the desktop icons blink off then on when installing a program. I've run Memtest_86, no prob, checked disk for errors, nothing. first i tried a fresh reinstall on the 1TB Seagate running Win 7 86 bit in case it was a registry problem, no better. ran Spinrite on it, but after more than 9 hours it showed "Division Overflow Error!" at 5672 from which it couldn't recover, and halted the system. i next installed my backup (motherboard only has 2 connecters and 1 is used for DVD drive) 160GB Maxtor running Vista 86 bit, seems faster, but still the same problems. thoroughly tested both for malware (malwarebytes, spybot, adaware, norton 360, etc.), nothing. I'm totally baffled, motherboard? borderline RAM problem not showing up in tests? this has me pulling my hair out. any help is very much appreciated. I'm on a Compaq Presario, Vista 86, SP2, with 4GB RAM, currently 160GB Maxtor HD.

Advertisements