Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start, fans, usb, all work but no picture

• Please log in to reply

Larry Collins

Larry Collins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i just took the disk drive out of my desktop computer to use the sata cables to hook up the hdd from my laptop to try and see if the hdd was the problem with my laptop (my motherboard and power supply only allow me to have 1 disk drive and 1 hdd hooked up at a time)after i swapped the dvd drive out for the laptop hdd i tried to power up my computer and the power came on, my usb ports are working normal but the monitor is still in sleep mode, i get no bios options or anything, wen i turn the power on the monitor just stays blank like its in sleep mode. right away i removed the laptop hdd and replaced the dvd drive and tried again and still nothing. the only things i did in the computer were clear out some dust and swap the drives. while cleaning dust tho i did loosen up the heat sink not realizing that the cpu fan and heatsink were attached. i wanted to only take the fan off to clean it. but after gettin the first screw about half way out i realized my mistake and tightened the screw back up. I dont think i should have to replace the thermal paste but would that be the problem?? On a side note this is the same problem i am having with my laptop that i was trying to fix in the first place. could the HDD be connected somehow?? Again in both cases all lights power on and the usb drives will charge my cell phone. the fans are on and i can hear the disk drives spinning. im really not sure what the problem is so any ideas or advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
:welcome: Larry Collins
What is the brand and model name or number (not serial) of the notebook please.
Possible causes for the blank screen include the screen has been toggled to external screen mode, backlight or inverter failure, a disconnected or damaged motherboard to screen ribbon/cable, and a bad video chip.