Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Context Menu Virus follows fresh install!

• Please log in to reply

hmp3

hmp3

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
The Symptom:

Launch My Computer. Right-click on any drive (including C), the first option is no longer 'Open', but Explore and it is Bold.
How/why have the first two entries been switched around?
***Btw, this issue only happens in this location, all other context menus on my pc are fine***

How do I solve this????????

My Story:

Hi, I've suffered an issue which was shown in all my drive backups, including the original factory state, but to no avail.
So I did a zero-fill, then re-installed Vista fresh. It was all going fine until the issue re-appeared when I connected my additional internal data drives (as far as I can recall, this was the last action before which my symptoms didn't exist).

Edited by harvestthesouls, 23 February 2012 - 06:03 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's the way it's supposed to work I believe. At least that's how both of my Win 7 systems work. Open is not even listed in the context menu for drives, only Open in new window.

I have two or more drives in each computer if that makes a difference.

Edit: Open is what happens when you click on a a drive though. Does seem strange there is no Open in the context menu.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It MAYBE that we have three topics running on the same computer, albeit not exactly it appears with the same problem, I have asked harvestthesouls for confirmation on my post 5 on this topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
As mentioned on http://www.geekstogo...10#entry2125010 , yes I have many threads for same Vista PC.
But, if I had to prioritize support for only one thread, then I would say this one, because it seems quite shocking that even after a fresh install, I'm having problems. Especially since, this is the system state which has the least problems (sfc works, reports no errors), and I'm not having long 2minute pauses in the boot-up process.

Edited by harvestthesouls, 24 February 2012 - 05:51 AM.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
***UPDATE:

I have isolated the exact moment when My Computer re-order's its context menu options around.
1). I install windows, boot up first time, with no internal/external other drives connected.
2). First thing I do is double click on My Computer.
3). Right-click on C drive to see that the context menu appears as default. No problem yet.
4). I select Open
5). I close My Computer.
6). I open My Computer again.
7). Right-click on C drive for a second time, to see that the context menu is still fine.
8). I Right-click on C drive a third time.
9). But this time, I select Explore. This automatically launches a second window showing C drive contents. Looks normal.
10). I close My Computer.
11). I re-launch My Computer.
12). I right-click on C drive, and see that the first two context menu options have been re-ordered. i.e. Explore is the first option (Bolded), Open is the second option, etc.

This is an OEM Vista x64 Sp1 Disc. It's outrageous that this is happening every time.

Any comments/resolutions/diagnostic ideas/etc ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to let everyone know I have requested that harvestthesouls go through malware inspection since MSE found infections per the topic Mac is helping with. This may be the root of all the issues and I suggest everyone stop because duplicating instructions are being given which is wasting time. Until malware inspection is done I suggest everyone stop with assistance.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Just to let everyone know I have requested that harvestthesouls go through malware inspection since MSE found infections per the topic Mac is helping with. This may be the root of all the issues and I suggest everyone stop because duplicating instructions are being given which is wasting time. Until malware inspection is done I suggest everyone stop with assistance.

I understand the reason to conduct malware inspection on the other threads, but this one is a fresh install, i've already zero-filled the hard drive and scanned with MSE, and it's clean. Are you sure I should spend so much time conducting malware inspection on a fresh install?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you saying you completely started fresh with the hard drive?
Took out all partitions and then recreated one partition...did a full format using NTFS and then using a Genuine Microsoft OS installation disk?
Not a downloaded or copied installation disk but a original hologram disk bought from a retail store?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Are you saying you completely started fresh with the hard drive?
Took out all partitions and then recreated one partition...did a full format using NTFS and then using a Genuine Microsoft OS installation disk?
Not a downloaded or copied installation disk but a original hologram disk bought from a retail store?

Yes, additionally I have found someone who has the same symptom as I here who seems quite unaware of the cause:
http://www.5starsupp...ndpost&p=106613

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you run hard drive diagnostics using the manufacturers diagnostic tool?
Have you checked the memory to make sure there is no issues there?
Have you run a disk integrity diagnostic to make sure the disk platter is good?

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
You're going to hate me for this. You really are.

I contacted Mesh computers, the manufacturer of my pc, they looked at all their vista installed computers, and it turns out that this is a vista normality. Explore is supposed to appear above Open. The microsoft technician that i spoke to was a windows 7 user and was just guessing that this was an issue. So just like that, everything I did for the last 3 days, all the help I requested here... Let's just say I got 0wned by Microsoft, and I'm sorry that everyone here all got caught up in this mess.

It seems that this context menu issue is not something to be concerned with, but lived with. So I'm glad that I wasn't the victim of a stalking virus.

Nevertheless, I really appreciate the help from moderators, users, and anyone else who posted a reply. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well that was what my colleague Ztruker told you on his first reply

That's the way it's supposed to work I believe. At least that's how both of my Win 7 systems work. Open is not even listed in the context menu for drives, only Open in new window.

or at least that was how I read it.

In respect of the other matter to which I replied the Windows defender and the SFC
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

when the Moderator has so decided, that it is appropriate, in the circumstances to continue with separate topics, I have explained the Defender issue and you may if he so approves continue on the Other aspect

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since this issue is resolved what topic would you like to continue with harvest? We will all gladly move to it to resolve that issue. :thumbsup:

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, but I took the plunge and decided that as hard as a fresh install would be, that it would be easier than trying to repair the damaged system states. I mean I can't get the old states to boot when I restore it on my external HD. I am now using Acronis backup explorer within windows to restore my data by extracting particular folders. It's very cumbersome and slow since it's not direct file copying.

Thanks for the offer rshaffer61, but I've realised that it's best to leave all this behind, and mark the other threads as resolved/orphaned.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK please let us know how everything goes when you are finished. We like to know the ending result good or bad and it may help someone in the future with the same issue.
:thumbsup: