Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need More Ram Than Computer Can Take

• Please log in to reply

Stuabc

Stuabc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I have an Acer Aspire One D257

I am trying to run a piece of software over night but it keeps freezing/crashing my computer or the software needs manual restart every few minutes. The software developer told me that it needs 4gb ram minimum to run. I have my netbook maxed out at 2gb. Is there anything like a USB external ram driver i can attach for the extra 2gb ram? I just purchased this netbook and really cant afford to go buy another one right now but also really need this software to work.

help much appreciated

stuart

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Stuabc

Firstly Welcome to GeekstoGo

You
created five new topics on this ONE problem, all within minutes of each other.
Please do not start more than ONE on the same problem.
I have deleted all of the other flour.

I am sorry to tell you that you have a problem that cannot be solved.

If the netbook can only take a maximum of 2Gb ram and the program requires 4Gb ram, then all attempts to make it run will fail.

Even Ready boost using a suitable flash pen or drive will most likely also fail, as data written to the flash can never be as quickly handled as data written to the ram.
Therefore the speed of read will not be fast enough for the program.

READY BOOST
http://windows.micro...ures/readyboost

Also of concern is that if this freezing and crashing continues, not only will that program not run, but you stand every chance of encountering serious problems, perhaps even to the point of facing an unbootable computer.

Stuabc

Stuabc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello

Thank you for the reply.

I suspected that there wasn't really any options--but just wanted to check.

Thanks again
Stuart

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying.

Some people do not even bother to do so.

If at anytime there is anything else we can help with, hopefully with more productive advice, please do ask.